Transfer Portal | Page 44 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It’s not how Hurley drew it up, and I’d like a long term building block at PG like we all thought Diggins would be, but I don’t think these transfers spell disaster for next season personally.

It does not spell disaster, but it definitely introduces disaster as a possible outcome.

They absolutely have to bring in a P5-caliber starting point guard and then pray for his health. And then they have to get a 2023 kid who is capable of playing from day one - blowing it on Diggins is a multi-year issue.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It does not spell disaster, but it definitely introduces disaster as a possible outcome.

They absolutely have to bring in a P5-caliber starting point guard and then pray for his health. And then they have to get a 2023 kid who is capable of playing from day one - blowing it on Diggins is a multi-year issue.
Absolutely true. We had a combination guard (Cole) who covered exceptionally well for our lack of ball handlers. Through opt outs (Cole, Martin) and transfers (Diggins and Gaffney). Hurley is now left holding the bag.

Reaction Score

Stephon Castle to Fishy: “hold my rolling rock”

Reaction Score
We're in the era of free agency. Just like in baseball's off-season, as a fan you can't draw final conclusions about your roster until after all the free agents have signed. And even then, you'll have hits and misses that will show themselves a year or two in... let's have the dust settle before we go all out chicken little.

Reaction Score

True. They’re in a position without room for error after making multiple errors recently.

Reaction Score
People like to think happy thoughts.

In this case, they’re idiotic to do so, but that is on them.

Me - “Not having a point guard is very bad.”

You - “OUTRAGE! THIS IS PART OF THE PLAN! PORTALPORTALPORTAL!”

So stupid.
This is a total straw man and you know it. No one is here saying we’re in the ideal spot or this was all part of the plan. Clearly there were two big recruiting misses that put us in this bad spot. The horrible opinion you keep beating on is that this is somehow a roster management issue or that we’d be appreciably better off right now if Gaffney and Sool hadn’t transferrred. Regardless of if they stayed or not, Hurley was going to have to bring in two portal guards or we’d be in a horrible spot next year.

pj

Reaction Score
True. They’re in a position without room for error after making multiple errors recently.

If we bring in Tristen Newton we're in great shape.

If it's true the coaching staff wasn't able to scout Diggins in person then the misevaluation is understandable.

All in all I'd be feeling optimistic about next season with Newton starting even if Floyd and AJ had to be the backups.

Reaction Score

If it's true the coaching staff wasn't able to scout Diggins in person then the misevaluation is understandable.

All in all I'd be feeling optimistic about next season with Newton starting even if Floyd and AJ had to be the backups.

Eh I watched like 10 of the kids games on youtube. Our staff had the same information available. You don't really go watch these games to scout kids--it's about making it known that you're interested enough to put in the time.

It was obvious from day 1 that Diggins wasn't going to be up to snuff as a defender, and would need time to adjust. He incredibly ball dominant, so he was going to have to change the way he played to fit into our system. He's still a super talented player than punched above his weight class in HS. I don't think his ranking or evaluation was WRONG... things just happen.

I still think he'll have a solid college career if he puts in the work. This wasn't the right place for him.

Reaction Score
I'll take Newton. Got a good feeling about him. Ramey would be good too, I like the idea of bringing in a P5 transfer. We do need sharpshooters, however. You saw in the NCAA Tournament how the spacing helps the big men down low. If we can have legitimate threats outside and take advantage of that with Sanogo and our great depth of big men, we're in good shape. Plus, it'd be nice to actually see more 3's fall next season.

Reaction Score

19. Jahmir Young | 6-1 guard | senior | Charlotte

Young has been an absolute killer, outstanding guard in Conference USA now for three years, a three-time all-league selection including back-to-back first team appearances. The smooth lefty can play both on or off ball, and generally makes good decisions while keeping control of the ball. He averaged a robust 19.6 points, six rebounds and four assists per game this year for Charlotte, and was the catalyst for everything they did. He’s versatile in that they’d run the occasional post-up for him, they’d back-cut him to get him open looks at the rim (where he has a terrific inside-hand finish), and they’d run him off of off-ball screening actions to get him loose for free — and that’s before we even get to the typical scoring guard arsenal that comes off of ball screens. He has great touch from the interior and from the line, but can get a bit wild on the move from behind the 3-point arc and needs to clean that up. There are also some defensive concerns here that he’ll have to work through at the point of attack. He’s a bit reminiscent of now-former Connecticut guard R.J. Cole. Cole made first-team All-Big East this past season as Connecticut’s lead, but did so shooting just 40 percent from the field and 33 percent from 3. He also plays better defense than Young. Basically, we’re projecting Young as a high-major starter, but maybe not quite an all-league guy.

Reaction Score
I don’t want to get ahead of myself but if we get 2 of these top guards from the portal…how are we not instantly a top 20 team? Especially if Floyd and Karaban are the real deal. You give me a lineup of Newton/Transfer/Hawkins/Jackson/Sanogo..yeah, I like my chances vs anyone else in the country

There it is

Reaction Score
There it is
Am I wrong? We were a top 20 team this year starting 3 guys who couldn't shoot outside of 8 feet lol. Next year's lineup with 2 scoring guards plus an improved Jackson, Hawkins, and Sanogo is an extremely good starting 5. We've seen what this staff can do with player development, I'm expecting Jackson/Hawkins/Sanogo to all take another leap forward.

And I loved Martin, Cole, Polley, and Whaley...but if you told me I had to retain 3 players last years squad, I'm sticking with Jackson/Hawkins/Sanogo because their ceiling is so much higher

Reaction Score
You know, I checked this thread last night and I come back today and still no point guard commits, what gives? ..... Also in regards to floyd and karaban especially, I want them playing big minutes next year and not just being depth pieces

Reaction Score

Newton comes in we're in good shape, one more adequate ball handler that can give us 10-15 mpg at the point, then we're in great shape.

Diggins leaving wasn't a surprise, and anyone who thinks it was probably wasn't paying attention. Also, even though he didn't get many chances last year, it was obvious to anyone with eyeballs that he wasn't ready for this level. Didn't have the speed, handle or poise for what you want in a PG. And his shot was always though to be just average. Definitely a misevaluation but was also apparently misevaluated by every recruiting analyst in the world because he was consistently a top 60 guy and had a lot of strong offers.

Gaffney still played a ton last year even though he didn't play well, and with Cole (and Diggins) leaving he had a great chance to play a ton more this year. Leads me to believe that Hurley had a conversation with him knowing that he was going to recruit over him and bring in a better player. Of course it was still up to Gaffney to leave and he could've stuck around as the backup PG, but I don't think Gaffney leaves if Hurley didn't already have a guy in mind that he was planning on bringing in.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I love hummus, but hate chick peas. Essentially I want a finished product, much like what I’m expecting from our next starting PG.
I'm ambivalent about chick peas. They don't add anything but they don't bother me, either; they're just kind of there.

But it's amazing to me how much better they are in the form of hummus or falafel, both of which I eat at least once a week.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

19. Jahmir Young | 6-1 guard | senior | Charlotte

Young has been an absolute killer, outstanding guard in Conference USA now for three years, a three-time all-league selection including back-to-back first team appearances. The smooth lefty can play both on or off ball, and generally makes good decisions while keeping control of the ball. He averaged a robust 19.6 points, six rebounds and four assists per game this year for Charlotte, and was the catalyst for everything they did. He’s versatile in that they’d run the occasional post-up for him, they’d back-cut him to get him open looks at the rim (where he has a terrific inside-hand finish), and they’d run him off of off-ball screening actions to get him loose for free — and that’s before we even get to the typical scoring guard arsenal that comes off of ball screens. He has great touch from the interior and from the line, but can get a bit wild on the move from behind the 3-point arc and needs to clean that up. There are also some defensive concerns here that he’ll have to work through at the point of attack. He’s a bit reminiscent of now-former Connecticut guard R.J. Cole. Cole made first-team All-Big East this past season as Connecticut’s lead, but did so shooting just 40 percent from the field and 33 percent from 3. He also plays better defense than Young. Basically, we’re projecting Young as a high-major starter, but maybe not quite an all-league guy.
Nice article. They are very high on Newton. They have him as the 6th best player available, including uncommitted hs players. So, 3rd best transfer available and the best overall pg (second best guard). The blurb says he has a very real shot at being an NBA player.

Sounds like an ideal piece and undeniably something we were missing last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom