Transfer Portal Window 2023 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Interesting quote from Shaka Smart about taking transfers. Sounds like Hurley's view before last year.

I don’t get this to be honest, the narrative that Smart doesn’t take transfers is absurd. He just didn’t take a ton this past year.

I mean Kolek and Prosper were transfers, just not fifth year guys. And he even admits he was after fifth year guys until NIL went crazy. He may have backed off, but was it really because he trusted his guys (then why was he after them in the first place), or was it because he didn’t have a big enough NIL bag for the transfers?

Talk about framing the narrative after the fact.
Don’t recall or see him saying he doesn’t take or disagree with transfer portal. He was stating the risk of losing faith on and from the players on the roster.
Shaka obviously likes and instills good chemistry and takes the time and invests in working on players skill levels.
You can’t argue the success.

Reaction Score
I'd take em back, but assuming they move on since they are graduating, our starting 5 is this: (MPG in parentheses)

G: Portal Guard (28)
G: Castle (28)
W: Jackson (28)
W: Karaban (28)
C: Clingan (28)

Bench:
G: Ball (10)
G: Diarra (10)
W: Ross (5)
W: Stewart (5)
PF: Samson (15)
C: Singare (2)

That leaves ~15 MPG for another portal player, likely a back up center because Singare is so raw. And obviously the rotation is gonna be trimmed down as the season goes on, so I think we'll see some minutes competition between Ball/Diarra, and Stewart/Ross. Samson is an interesting case. If he develops the way Hurley talks about him, then that may mitigate the need for a backup C in the portal because he could definitely fill in that role.

We still need another proven shooter though, and they would likely steal the minutes from a mix of Ball, Diarra, Stewart, and Ross. That's my take on the situation going into this offseason.
I get what you are saying but also I wouldnt mind jackson, karaban and clingan playing 32 minutes a game, i also think its likely that stewart and ball each are above 5 and 10 respectively. Not sure as I am not the expert but it seems like coaching staff is high on both of them. I think that those two combined end up closer to 25 minutes. I dont have insight into Dan Hurleys mind but if all these guys come back we might only have minutes for 1 or no transfers.

Now if Hurley doesnt think any of the freshman are ready for primetime then we need to bring in 2 guys.

caw

Reaction Score
Croswell 2.0:

Had wondered but didn’t look into it on why he wasn’t playing. Says some not so nice stuff about Dixon. Either good player who needs a coach he meshes with.

Don’t recall or see him saying he doesn’t take or disagree with transfer portal. He was stating the risk of losing faith on and from the players on the roster.
Shaka obviously likes and instills good chemistry and takes the time and invests in working on players skill levels.
You can’t argue the success.
Full article link at bottom

When the news came out about [Pack] going from Kansas State to Miami, that was a watershed moment in transfer recruiting in our sport," Smart told CBS Sports. "It completely altered what other transfers wanted."

Marquette was at different stages of recruiting four transfers. And practically overnight, the tone and expectations of those recruitments changed, Smart told me. He didn't like what he was hearing and quietly abandoned those recruitments

Reaction Score
I'd take em back, but assuming they move on since they are graduating, our starting 5 is this: (MPG in parentheses)

G: Portal Guard (28)
G: Castle (28)
W: Jackson (28)
W: Karaban (28)
C: Clingan (28)

Bench:
G: Ball (10)
G: Diarra (10)
W: Ross (5)
W: Stewart (5)
PF: Samson (15)
C: Singare (2)

That leaves ~15 MPG for another portal player, likely a back up center because Singare is so raw. And obviously the rotation is gonna be trimmed down as the season goes on, so I think we'll see some minutes competition between Ball/Diarra, and Stewart/Ross. Samson is an interesting case. If he develops the way Hurley talks about him, then that may mitigate the need for a backup C in the portal because he could definitely fill in that role.

We still need another proven shooter though, and they would likely steal the minutes from a mix of Ball, Diarra, Stewart, and Ross. That's my take on the situation going into this offseason.
That'd be one really green bench. Need a proven defensive big and another wing/guard that can play solid defense (might have to be one of the frosh but none of them really come with that reputation).

Reaction Score
The Will Wade factor is already in effect at McNeese State:

They added former Cincy commit and Utah transfer Mike Saunders.

Such a slimy coach...

Reaction Score
The Will Wade factor is already in effect at McNeese State:

They added former Cincy commit and Utah transfer Mike Saunders.

Such a slimy coach...

Will Wade’s contract worth $1.175 million, includes 5-game suspension

-> In addition to the five-game suspension, McNeese put in several other recruiting restrictions and safeguards.
  • McNeese will hire an additional NCAA compliance officer to work with Wade.
  • Wade will submit a weekly report on all recruiting activities, which will include phone calls and texts, which will be submitted to Deputy Athletic Director Bridget Martin. The report will also be forwarded to the Southland Conference league office.
  • Wade and his staff will participate in mandatory weekly NCAA compliance education classes conducted by Martin
  • Wade is not to have any off-campus recruiting-related activities through July 31, 2023.
  • Wade must reduce official visits by four during the 2023/2024 academic years.
  • Wade is banned from all recruiting conversations between Sept. 1, 2023, through Oct. 15, 2023.
  • Wade is banned from having any unofficial visits from Sept. 1, 2023, through Oct. 15, 2023. <-

Reaction Score
Another high-impact guard of interest: Wofford freshman Jackson Paveletzke.

The 6'3 175 guard reminds me a bit of Tyler Kolek: crafty, creative and able to score at all three levels. Mature beyond his years.

15.1p, 54.5 2p%, 1.4 3PM, 39.3 3p%, 4.2 FTA at 84.2%, 3.7a, 2.4 TO, 0.8s. 20th in the nation in getting just 1.4 fouls charged/40 and 491st in the nation with 4.3 fouls drawn/40.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Any hope that Yarin Hasson or Apostolos Roumoglou contribute next season?

Reaction Score
Any hope that Yarin Hasson or Apostolos Roumoglou contribute next season?

It is very rare that someone plays 0 meaningful minutes as a freshman and ends up being a meaningful piece of a team long-term. I'd love to see it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Guys like Phil Nolan, Deandre Daniels, Austrie all played as freshman. Not a ton of minutes... but they got in most games. Gavin Edwards comes to mind as well. He didn't play much, but still saw the floor in 53 games his first two seasons, playing around 7 minutes per game.

caw

Reaction Score
It is very rare that someone plays 0 meaningful minutes as a freshman and ends up being a meaningful piece of a team long-term. I'd love to see it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Guys like Phil Nolan, Deandre Daniels, Austrie all played as freshman. Not a ton of minutes... but they got in most games. Gavin Edwards comes to mind as well. He didn't play much, but still saw the floor in 53 games his first two seasons, playing around 7 minutes per game.

In the last twenty years, maybe Beverly? Or Okwandu? Both played in their first year but less than half the games and less than five minutes per game. Still few and far between.

Reaction Score
In the last twenty years, maybe Beverly? Or Okwandu? Both played in their first year but less than half the games and less than five minutes per game. Still few and far between.
Facey ended up as decent player

Reaction Score
Another high-impact guard of interest: Wofford freshman Jackson Paveletzke.

The 6'3 175 guard reminds me a bit of Tyler Kolek: crafty, creative and able to score at all three levels. Mature beyond his years.

15.1p, 54.5 2p%, 1.4 3PM, 39.3 3p%, 4.2 FTA at 84.2%, 3.7a, 2.4 TO, 0.8s. 20th in the nation in getting just 1.4 fouls charged/40 and 491st in the nation with 4.3 fouls drawn/40.
Those are serious numbers for a freshman. Much better than Kolek's for example.

Reaction Score

Hopefully this is a guy willing to wait 3 weeks until our season is done

Reaction Score
In the podcast posted today, Hurley said the staff has expectations we will have players on the current roster exit to the portal and that we have reached out to portal guys but won't consider anybody that is in a hurry to make a decision before our season is done. The candidates for transferring seems like a short and obvious list. I have more confidence than most in the Clingan/Singare duo talentwise being enough, but, I can easily see 2 young bigs fouling themselves onto the bench. An additional role playing big would be useful if Sanogo moves on. At the guard spot, Ball is going to be an impact player early and I bet we have more pure transition baskets next year. Adding a Joey C to our existing guys is perfect. Keeping Alleyne, and/or Newton is better still.

Reaction Score
Facey ended up as decent player

He played in 24 games. Just over 5 MPG. Pretty much every game up until the NCAAT, including in big games vs ranked teams. It's not a lot, but I had faith that he could do something. When I see a kid not play at all, it's hard for me to get excited about the possibility of them being a contributor even when they seem like an awesome kid. Rahsool and Springs are the two that instantly come to mind.

Reaction Score
In the podcast posted today, Hurley said the staff has expectations we will have players on the current roster exit to the portal and that we have reached out to portal guys but won't consider anybody that is in a hurry to make a decision before our season is done. The candidates for transferring seems like a short and obvious list. I have more confidence than most in the Clingan/Singare duo talentwise being enough, but, I can easily see 2 young bigs fouling themselves onto the bench. An additional role playing big would be useful if Sanogo moves on. At the guard spot, Ball is going to be an impact player early and I bet we have more pure transition baskets next year. Adding a Joey C to our existing guys is perfect. Keeping Alleyne, and/or Newton is better still.

Have you watched Singare play at all? I haven't been able to see him play, so I have no idea how polished he might be... just guessing by rankings.

I watched a bunch of Brewster film, and Ball struck me as a sixth-man kind of player who can back up at the SG/SF spot as needed. Does that sound about right to you? I'm not sure he has the talent to start yet, but I think his defense will earn him important minutes.

Reaction Score
He played in 24 games. Just over 5 MPG. Pretty much every game up until the NCAAT, including in big games vs ranked teams. It's not a lot, but I had faith that he could do something. When I see a kid not play at all, it's hard for me to get excited about the possibility of them being a contributor even when they seem like an awesome kid. Rahsool and Springs are the two that instantly come to mind.
I do largely agree, but I guess my only caveat would be that I still think Roumoglou could be a rotation piece down the road. I always viewed this year as basically a redshirt year for him like Karaban did last year. I know it's not an official redshirt year, but I think they were just willing to burn a year with walk on minutes knowing he's not gonna use 5 years when he'll be 20 in a few months. I also could be completely wrong though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom