Transfer Portal Window 2023 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Kid turned into a decent player after surprisingly not being heavily recruited. But I wonder how far away he'll move from where he grew up (SE PA) and from his dad (Wilmington, DE). He originally committed to St. Joe's, but switched to George Washington in DC after Martelli was fired. Then didn't play well with an xfer G while at GW, so went to Delaware. But all three schools are in a small geographic zone.

Reaction Score

IMO, Nelson is a better option than Primo.
  • Much better defender (2.4 steals/game, 36th best steal rate in the nation and ranks as Delaware's second most efficient defender)
  • An ability to draw fouls (7.1 FTAs, 6.5 fouls drawn/40 (23rd in the nation) and a 78.1 ft% (433rd in the nation)
  • Respectable from the perimeter (although not an asset): 1.7 3PM at a 33.4 3p% across the last two seasons.
He'll get a starting guard gig somewhere in the high-majors.

Reaction Score
  • Much better defender (2.4 steals/game, 36th best steal rate in the nation and ranks as Delaware's second most efficient defender)
  • An ability to draw fouls (7.1 FTAs, 6.5 fouls drawn/40 (23rd in the nation) and a 78.1 ft% (433rd in the nation)
  • Respectable from the perimeter (although not an asset): 1.7 3PM at a 33.4 3p% across the last two seasons.

I prefer Fernandes over either. I hust don't see how next years team can recruit a sub-35% shooter. We are desperate for perimeter shooting right now.

Reaction Score
I prefer Fernandes over either. I hust don't see how next years team can recruit a sub-35% shooter. We are desperate for perimeter shooting right now.
Just looked at his #s today and they are impressive. His 22-23 stats are a little flukey since he played just 4 A-10 games, but his 21-22 stats are still very good, but his defensive metrics are not impressive.

However, I like how he's a local kid (Mattapoisett, MA, played HS at Woodstock).

Reaction Score
Nice fta numbers but will big east refs allow that to continue?

Reaction Score
I don't love that he's 5'10 and shot 64% from the ft line this season.

Reaction Score
Just looked at his #s today and they are impressive. His 22-23 stats are a little flukey since he played just 4 A-10 games, but his 21-22 stats are still very good, but his defensive metrics are not impressive.

However, I like how he's a local kid (Mattapoisett, MA, played HS at Woodstock).

Yain't wrong about the defense. 105 isn't excellent... slightly worse than Tristen's junior season--which wasn't great.

I really don't look at defensive metrics for players much when we're recruiting them, even though I'm a defense-first kind of guy. I genuinely believe that Hurley can turn most anyone into an average or better defender. And considering we have a couple of defensive beasts in Andre and Clingan, I'm not terribly concerned.

Reaction Score
Nelson shot 36.4% from deep last season at 4.4 attempts per game. That dropped to 30.7% at a higher volume (5.6), but I'm guessing he'd be more selective with a high major.

Reaction Score
You aren't wrong. I just prefer shooting over size if I had to choose between the 2.

I think our ideal transfer for the PG spot is 6'3, can handle it, and give us close to 40% on volume shooting. We don't really need a high-level passer with Andre, Karaban and Castle in the fold... someone to break a press and space the floor is key.
Agreed, we need a 40% three point shooter to share the backcourt starting duties with Castle, these other transfer guys we're talking about seem more like guys to come off the bench and put up points. Need two bigtime shooters in (transfer) and Karaban starting with Castle, Jackson, and Clingan starting.

Reaction Score
Nelson shot 36.4% from deep last season at 4.4 attempts per game. That dropped to 30.7% at a higher volume (5.6), but I'm guessing he'd be more selective with a high major.

He also shot 25% at GW for 2 seasons. Coaches would need to dig more into the film to figure out if the 36% is a fluke or not.

What I usually do in those situations is take out the best 3 and worst 3 games, and look at that %s since I don't have access to film. Nelson would be at 38% for the 2022 season... which is pretty solid. Compare that to this year and he's shooting 29% with the best and worst missing.

Reaction Score
By far IMO. I would guess the staff agrees considering Luke was the first to call him 5 minutes after he entered the portal. Kids who can shoot 42% from deep on almost 7 attempts per game don't grow on trees.
Would have to imagine we’re only after a player of his caliber if Newton/Alleyne plan to graduate & Hawk leaves for NBA.

If Newton/Alleyne come back I’m not sure we’ll be in the portal for anyone more than a Joey C replacement.

Reaction Score
Curiosity question.. In the new age of portal recruiting.. When mutual interest has been expressed--Can we/could we invite a prospective portal recruit to a Tournament game or is that off limits?? Didn't know if portal rules allow for that..

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just a heads up... don't even think of suggesting John Hugley as a potential Clingan backup. You've been warned.

Reaction Score
Would have to imagine we’re only after a player of his caliber if Newton/Alleyne plan to graduate & Hawk leaves for NBA.

If Newton/Alleyne come back I’m not sure we’ll be in the portal for anyone more than a Joey C replacement.

I assume they are all gone. Those 2 were celebrated on senior night, and of course the draft for Hawkins.

Reaction Score
Curiosity question.. In the new age of portal recruiting.. When mutual interest has been expressed--Can we/could we invite a prospective portal recruit to a Tournament game or is that off limits?? Didn't know if portal rules allow for that..
I think they have to abide by the general recruiting rules once they're in the portal, so we can only pay for stuff on official visits, and I don't think you can do an official visit at a neutral site event.

Reaction Score
Assuming so, too. Wouldn’t mind Newton returning & being a backcourt mate with Castle, though.
I'd take em back, but assuming they move on since they are graduating, our starting 5 is this: (MPG in parentheses)

G: Portal Guard (28)
G: Castle (28)
W: Jackson (28)
W: Karaban (28)
C: Clingan (28)

Bench:
G: Ball (10)
G: Diarra (10)
W: Ross (5)
W: Stewart (5)
PF: Samson (15)
C: Singare (2)

That leaves ~15 MPG for another portal player, likely a back up center because Singare is so raw. And obviously the rotation is gonna be trimmed down as the season goes on, so I think we'll see some minutes competition between Ball/Diarra, and Stewart/Ross. Samson is an interesting case. If he develops the way Hurley talks about him, then that may mitigate the need for a backup C in the portal because he could definitely fill in that role.

We still need another proven shooter though, and they would likely steal the minutes from a mix of Ball, Diarra, Stewart, and Ross. That's my take on the situation going into this offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom