Transfer Portal Window 2023 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's on the smaller side and had a season ending ankle injury, but 38% career 3pt shooter and good PG skills.

Sounds like the ankle injury was re-aggravating something old this season. I'd really like to recruit him hard if he was out for the season for a surgery to assure it wouldn't happen again, or something.

Reaction Score
Sounds like the ankle injury was re-aggravating something old this season. I'd really like to recruit him hard if he was out for the season for a surgery to assure it wouldn't happen again, or something.
Small sample size for me on Primo.. Would you characterize him as a ball dominant guard or can he play in a system where he's sharing the ball and setting up teammates when needed??

Seemed like he wants the ball in his hands as much as possible.. No question he's a scorer/shot maker. Co-existing with Castle would be essential if added to roster.

Reaction Score
I'm not particularly interested in any of them, but four of Butler's players, led by Jayden Taylor (12.9p, 3.8r, 46.6 2p%, 1.4 3PM, 32.6 3p%, 1.3s), hit the portal today.

The other three (Thomas, Tate, Wilmoth) are more depth pieces but considering all are former three-year recruits, I can see them playing for more PT at a mid-major.

Reaction Score
Small sample size for me on Primo.. Would you characterize him as a ball dominant guard or can he play in a system where he's sharing the ball and setting up teammates when needed??

Seemed like he wants the ball in his hands as much as possible.. No question he's a scorer/shot maker. Co-existing with Castle would be essential if added to roster.

He seems pretty ball dominant and inefficient at Georgetown. Newton's number were quite similar at ECSU. I'd imagine the staff would want to dig into the film more to see what his potential is.

Reaction Score

Count me in the "no thanks" camp for Primo Spears.

He's an electric talent, but Spears' lack of a perimeter game (0.8 3PM at 30.0 3p%) turns me off. Also, he was hands down the lowest ranked defender, according to EvanMiya:

Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 6.50.07 PM.png

Reaction Score
I thought about this before and don't hate it, but sort of think bringing Alleyne back as the starting two makes more sense than Newton. He's more of a pure 2, a better shooter, and is close with Castle. Newton would bring the added benefit of another guy who can run the point, but I'm not sure I love Newton as a pure off the ball 2.
Newton has been the better shooter this year and is more versatile than Alleyne.

Reaction Score
He seems pretty ball dominant and inefficient at Georgetown. Newton's number were quite similar at ECSU. I'd imagine the staff would want to dig into the film more to see what his potential is.
Newton at ECU was much more efficient than Primo. Better FT, 2pt, and 3pt shooting splits. Better assist rate. 106 to 96 offensive rating.

Reaction Score
Another guard of my interest: Pepperdine's Mike Mitchell hit the portal:

The 6'2 185 incoming junior averaged 11.4p, 4.1r, 5.0a, 2.9 TO, 1.1s, 42.4 2p%, 2.4 3PM at a 44.0 3p% (about 60% of his FGAs from deep). Not a rim attacker, though (21 FTAs this year)

Pepperdine, coached by former Washington coach Lorenzo Romar, played at the 7th fastest pace, so not a bad A/TO ratio despite the speedy play.

Not good defensive metrics, per EvanMiya, though.

Would be very interested if Newton doesn't return. Would be a smooth shooting, veteran PG from the WCC, maybe Joey C can put in a good word?
We have Joey California, how about Malibu or Monterrey Mike? (if Pepperdine is near them)

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Wait so you can transfer as much as you want now? I thought you only got one free transfer?

Reaction Score
Curious as I’m not familiar with transfer rules- Can schools start reaching out as soon as someone enters the portal? Even with the season still going on for schools playing in the tournaments?

Reaction Score
Curious as I’m not familiar with transfer rules- Can schools start reaching out as soon as someone enters the portal? Even with the season still going on for schools playing in the tournaments?
Yes, can reach out even if they're still playing. And in most cases have already reached out before they officially enter the portal

Reaction Score

He definitely was ball dominant all season at G'Town but that team was a mess and they needed him to be ball dominant to even stay in games. The shooting numbers are a little ugly but he has the ball on a string, is really quick, and gets in the lane for jumpers and finishes. He's not a defender but Hurley seems to get everyone to at least not be a defensive liability. If he's okay coming in as a first or second off the bench type of scorer/penetrator, I would be all for bringing him in. I actually thought he had some very good passing skills when I watched him but a lot of the time his teammates weren't ready for it and didn't finish.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think they've been pretty lenient with waivers. Coach left? Have a waiver. Graduate? Have a waiver. Sick grandma 3 states over? Waiver.
I’m an advocate for more freedom for players but sheesh. The free transfer rule is good enough. Lol

Three schools in three years is a lot.

Reaction Score
I think they've been pretty lenient with waivers. Coach left? Have a waiver. Graduate? Have a waiver. Sick grandma 3 states over? Waiver.

I'm not quite sure I agree with this. He certainly had better %s, but not by that much... and nothing that couldn't be explained but the higher level of play this year in the Big East and a terrible, terrible offensive system.

Personally, the offensive numbers don't concern me--it's the defense. I think you could easily get Primo up to average %s in a better offensive system where he isn't taking 14 freaking 2 points attempts per game, many of them from range. That 115 defensive rating this year was BAD, some of the worst guard defense in the Big East, honestly. I don't know enough about him to say if it was an effort, system, skill, or athleticism thing. I would imagine if we extend an offer, the staff will have figured we can turn him into an average or better defender over the next couple of seasons.

For Tristen's stats, I did all three years at ECU first and just his first two years in quotations to help compare to Primo's first two years. The first two years #s really show just how similar they were.

Primo:

35 minutes

14.4 PPG
2.8 RPG
4.2 APG

1.2 STL
0.1 BLK
2.7 TO
1.6 PF

42% 2FG (10.7 attempts)
30% 3FG (3.1 attempts)
77% FT (3.8 attempts)
47% TS%

4.68 SOS
96 ORTG
115 DRTG

26% AST%
26% USG%
15% TO%

Tristen

32 minutes (30)

13.1 PPG (9.3)
4.6 RPG (4.4)
4.3 APG (3.9)

1.3 STL (1.2)
0.3 BLK (0.3)
2.6 TO (2.0)
2.1 PF (2.0)

46% 2FG (6.1 attempts) (43%, 5.0 attempts)
32% 3FG (3.9 attempts) (30%, 3.4 attempts)
84% FT (4.4 attempts) (82%, 3.4 attempts)
52% TS% (50%)

2.77 SOS (2.83)
103 ORTG (101)
102 DRTG (101)

Reaction Score
Newton has been the better shooter this year and is more versatile than Alleyne.
Better shooter this year, yes, but for their careers, Alleyne has been a significantly better shooter. I think either could work but with the Alleyne/Castle family connection, I wonder if that has already been discussed.

Reaction Score
For those complaining about the mid range game of Primo's, think of all the tight games in the closing minutes where we are spinning around the perimeter looking to launch a contested 3.

I am always begging someone to go towards the basket and get/make a good shot. He's that guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom