Transfer portal part 2 | Page 37 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal part 2

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Arizona is a good example of how quickly things can change. A year ago the Wildcats looked like the next big thing in WBB under HC Adia Barnes, after making it all the way to the championship and losing a nail biter to Stanford. After a somewhat disappointing season this year, AZ now has 8-9 transfers, plus a couple graduates, leaving their roster devastated.

AZ does have a good freshman class coming in, who will be likely be getting major PT right out of the gate.
Not having a go-to player (offensively and defensively) like Aari McDonald makes a huge difference. Having her on your roster makes a head coach look really good; not having someone like her . . .

Reaction Score

Well this is a puzzle. The nominal reason Chavez left Oregon was to be closer to home (Arizona) due to family health issues. Perhaps those have been resolved and Taylor is looking to take advantage of the portal to get a jump on getting an advanced degree. Curious, though.

Reaction Score
Arizona is a good example of how quickly things can change. A year ago the Wildcats looked like the next big thing in WBB under HC Adia Barnes, after making it all the way to the championship and losing a nail biter to Stanford. After a somewhat disappointing season this year, AZ now has 8-9 transfers, plus a couple graduates, leaving their roster devastated.

AZ does have a good freshman class coming in, who will be likely be getting major PT right out of the gate.
Could it be called “the curse of the bird”?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not having a go-to player (offensively and defensively) like Aari McDonald makes a huge difference. Having her on your roster makes a head coach look really good; not having someone like her . . .
Absolutely agree. But you also have to wonder what exactly is going on at AZ that’s chasing players to the exits.

Reaction Score
Well this is a puzzle. The nominal reason Chavez left Oregon was to be closer to home (Arizona) due to family health issues. Perhaps those have been resolved and Taylor is looking to take advantage of the portal to get a jump on getting an advanced degree. Curious, though.

I wouldn't go so far as to say both Oregon and Arizona scr*wed Chavez over, but she didn't seem to get a fair amount of faith and opportunity from both staffs.

At Oregon, she was in line to start with Sabrina in the backcourt come sophomore season but then they scored a grad xfer and former club teammate of Sabrina, which was the right move. But the following year was the doozy when they played Scherr over Chavez when PaoPao was sidelined.

Barnes's seems to have been managing her roster as if her job was at stake—everything is near-sighted.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I saw some of Chavez early in the season with Arizona, she didn't impress me even the tiniest bit. She really wasn't bringing anything to the table.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

As to Chavez, she announced a month ago, she just didn't enter the portal as she (supposedly) wasn't going to continue to play basketball.

As noted elsewhere, Adia truthfully ditched a lot of the players, she was very unhappy with their commitment to improving their play, based on what I've read. She kept the 5 best players, a side comment was she ditched a cancer, she has a highly ranked recruiting class and is nibbling on the portal with 2 apparently decent "gets". She has made it fairly plain they will be "with the program" she is no longer tolerating those who are not.

Reaction Score
MSST seems to really love those 5'09-ish guards. Apparently, you can never have enough of them!
Possibly, but I also think Coach Purcell is looking to bring in someone familiar with how he would like to run things. Could be a good idea when starting the develop the team culture he wants to have with the program.

Reaction Score
MSST seems to really love those 5'09-ish guards. Apparently, you can never have enough of them!
Yeah Coach McCray-Penson brought in a lot of them. Coach Novak brought in one. Coach Purcell signed seven players with two 5-9 grad transfers. One is a Louisville transfer that knows his system and the other is the St Bonaventure transfer that is supposedly a big time scorer. You are correct that we have a boatload of them. However I think a couple will be encouraged to move on after this season.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Based on her Instagram stories, DePaul transfer, Sonya Morris is currently on an official visit to Texas.
Well that would certainly be a sea change. Morris's defense was never good even by DePaul standards, and suffice it to say she's not exhibited an interest in defense that would even remotely suggest a favorable match with Vic Schaefer.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Well that would certainly be a sea change. Morris's defense was never good even by DePaul standards, and suffice it to say she's not exhibited an interest in defense that would even remotely suggest a favorable match with Vic Schaefer.
You obviously have followed her at DePaul much more than I ever did. Does anyone at DePaul ever play defense? :p

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A little more feedback from coaches on the Transfer Portal from multiple coaches

and of course, Morgan Valley navigating the portal

“It’s kinda like dating, that’s how I explain recruiting to people who have never done it,” Valley said. “It’s like you like somebody’s talent and then you try to get to know them and if it doesn’t work out then you kinda break up. It can be fast but typically most people at most places know there’s a need and so you’re recruiting people who try to kinda fit your need so that part makes it a little bit easier ... not just recruiting every player in the portal.”

What was UConn searching for in the portal this offseason?

“A certain type of person and player, a certain type of human, a certain type of academic person, a certain type of hard worker on the floor,” Valley said. “Someone who’s willing to be selfless and cares about other people, kinda just the way coach is. Just a good person and wants to be part of a really special team.”

Valley was introduced to Lopez Senechal after one of her friends, a coach in the MAAC Conference, told her about the forward. With Auriemma’s friendship with Frager, the Huskies were able to gain quick feedback on Lopez Senechal before inviting her to visit campus and meet the rest of the team.

Reaction Score
She was off to a promising start at UCLA then got lost in the shuffle at Louisville. I'm guessing she's ready to put up good numbers right away for Miss State.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
With Wake Forest firing their head coach yesterday, will be interesting to see if any players like Jewel Spear decide to enter the transfer portal.
Anyone hearing any buzz on Jewel Spear entering the transfer portal?

A couple of days ago, she started following DePaul transfer Sonya Morris like 2 days after Morris announced her intentions to transfer to Texas, and vice verse; seemed kind of out of nowhere, and no obvious connection. Today, I'm seeing that Jewel started following Kim Mulkey on Instagram.

Reaction Score
Anyone hearing any buzz on Jewel Spear entering the transfer portal?

A couple of days ago, she started following DePaul transfer Sonya Morris like 2 days after Morris announced her intentions to transfer to Texas, and vice verse; seemed kind of out of nowhere, and no obvious connection. Today, I'm seeing that Jewel started following Kim Mulkey on Instagram.
I haven't heard much on that. Seems like she genuinely loves WF as a school though from her post history but I see some coaches have been following her. Maybe waiting to see if she does hit the portal? She would have until the beginning of June to enter the portal for immediate eligibility right?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I haven't heard much on that. Seems like she genuinely loves WF as a school though from her post history but I see some coaches have been following her. Maybe waiting to see if she does hit the portal? She would have until the beginning of June to enter the portal for immediate eligibility right?
May 1 was the deadline for basketball players. For spring sports it’s July 1. So if Spear is considering transferring anywhere, unless she gets some type of special waiver, she’ll sit for a year.

Reaction Score
May 1 was the deadline for basketball players. For spring sports it’s July 1. So if Spear is considering transferring anywhere, unless she gets some type of special waiver, she’ll sit for a year.
I thought it was different though in the case of a HC taking another job? At least that is what a few posters said before.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I thought it was different though in the case of a HC taking another job? At least that is what a few posters said before.
The only discussion on this subject was if a coach leaves or is fired before a committed HS recruit arrives, the HS recruit is usually released from their commitment. In the case of an existing college student-athlete like Spear, I’m afraid she’s out of luck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom