Transfer portal part 2 | Page 38 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal part 2

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
May 1 was the deadline for basketball players. For spring sports it’s July 1. So if Spear is considering transferring anywhere, unless she gets some type of special waiver, she’ll sit for a year.
I thought so, too. But, since her head coach was fired, there is a definite rule. The Wake Forest A.D. said the players had until July 1 to enter the transfer portal and still be immediately eligible. I linked the story in the Coaching Openings thread earlier this month.

Because there’s been a coaching change the players can still enter the transfer portal and have until July 1 to do so, according to Currie.

Reaction Score
A lot of players are still in the transfer portal. Hartford had a whopping 10 player transfers. What the heck happened at Hartford?

Reaction Score
I thought so, too. But, since her head coach was fired, there is a definite rule. The Wake Forest A.D. said the players had until July 1 to enter the transfer portal and still be immediately eligible. I linked the story in the Coaching Openings thread earlier this month.

Because there’s been a coaching change the players can still enter the transfer portal and have until July 1 to do so, according to Currie.

If thats the case I can see her waiting to see who the new coach is before making such a decision (if she is even thinking about it). There is still a crazy amount of players in the portal without a home still but that wouldn't be a issue for a player like Jewel if she did enter it. She is quite a talent.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

This is news to me. As I indicated previously, July 1 is the deadline for Spring sports. Fall and winter transfers had to be in the portal by May 1. There were waivers granted, but never specifically because a coach left or was fired.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
If thats the case I can see her waiting to see who the new coach is before making such a decision (if she is even thinking about it). There is still a crazy amount of players in the portal without a home still but that wouldn't be a issue for a player like Jewel if she did enter it. She is quite a talent.
Very well could be. But, even if she enters the transfer portal now and takes visits to other schools, she can still remove her name from the portal later and decide to remain at Wake Forest. So, she would just be doing her due diligence sooner rather than later.

Most schools are beginning their first summer semester classes soon; I know Texas begins June 2.

Again, I have no idea about her plans (to enter the portal or not). Just wondering based on some of her recent follows on IG. Based on her IG stories, she's been home in Dallas the last week or two (which makes sense since most Spring semesters ended mid-May or earlier.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
This is news to me. As I indicated previously, July 1 is the deadline for Spring sports. Fall and winter transfers had to be in the portal by May 1. There were waivers granted, but never specifically because a coach left or was fired.
As it was to me. But, page 16 of the Coaching Openings thread shed new light on the subject:

Reaction Score
A lot of players are still in the transfer portal. Hartford had a whopping 10 player transfers. What the heck happened at Hartford?
They are dropping down to division 3 by 2025 and the team has been on a steady decline for awhile

Reaction Score
My guess is the change from D1 to D3 and any scholarship ramifications or just the desire to play D1?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
What was the original tweet?
Dang, Raoul must have deleted it quick.

He linked a recent story about Oregon's Kelly Graves discussing the transfer portal and the upcoming roster. Raoul added some color commentary about comments Graves had made one year ago complaining about the transfer portal after a couple UO players entered it, and then using the transfer to his advantage bringing in a few players.

Reaction Score

He linked a recent story about Oregon's Kelly Graves discussing the transfer portal and the upcoming roster. Raoul added some color commentary about comments Graves had made one year ago complaining about the transfer portal after a couple UO players entered it, and then using the transfer to his advantage bringing in a few players.

I remember seeing it and sharing with a friend. Was able to find screen shots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220528-174148_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20220528-174148_Twitter.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 171
  • Screenshot_20220528-174311_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20220528-174311_Twitter.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 173

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

If you listen to the entire interview (it is quite long), I think the point is more nuanced than this. Basically, Graves said that, given last year, he had decided that using the portal negatively impacted incoming freshmen (in essence recruiting over them after they had already signed), thus making the freshmen more likely to transfer and so starting the cycle all over again. (Thus the comments in the screen shot.) However, he also stated that he wasn't sure that this was in fact the right way to proceed and used Arizona as an alternative model (lots of transfers both in and out of the portal + a substantial incoming class). That model may, he continued, prove to be the way to go, but, for this year, he's decided to try another approach.

A couple of other tidbits from the intervieww: 1) Nyara Sabally practiced only 5 times with the team throughout the entire 2021-22 season, with the WNBA teams that were interested in drafting her (3 within the top 8) knowing that she would have to sit out this season (and so wouldn 't have to be paid!); and 2) Phillipina Kei played the entire season with a broken hand (she just had surgery).

Reaction Score
If you listen to the entire interview (it is quite long), I think the point is more nuanced than this. Basically, Graves said that, given last year, he had decided that using the portal negatively impacted incoming freshmen (in essence recruiting over them after they had already signed), thus making the freshmen more likely to transfer and so starting the cycle all over again. (Thus the comments in the screen shot.) However, he also stated that he wasn't sure that this was in fact the right way to proceed and used Arizona as an alternative model (lots of transfers both in and out of the portal + a substantial incoming class). That model may, he continued, prove to be the way to go, but, for this year, he's decided to try another approach.

A couple of other tidbits from the intervieww: 1) Nyara Sabally practiced only 5 times with the team throughout the entire 2021-22 season, with the WNBA teams that were interested in drafting her (3 within the top 8) knowing that she would have to sit out this season (and so wouldn 't have to be paid!); and 2) Phillipina Kei played the entire season with a broken hand (she just had surgery).
Kei is going to start for OR next year.

Reaction Score
1). Holy cow re Sabally only practicing 5 times all season. Considering how important she was to the team and her impact during games, that's amazing and scary at the same time. Really hope she recovers fully for next WNBA season.

2). Was there a timeline for Kei's recovery? Obviously the surgery didn't seem required until now, but I'm curious whether this impacts her being ready for the season.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Whoa! New BYU coach's job just got a lot harder. They already lost quite a bit from last year. Entering the Big 12 soon. It's kinda looking like she's being set up to fail.

Reaction Score

Shaylee Gonzales (BYU) has entered the transfer portal

Ooo wow this is big time. Love her game. She's already a social media star. If I were her I'd think I should get more recognition. 2 years left of eligibility tho I believe she's a bit older cuz she missed a year due to injury. If she ends up leaving she'd be a big time get.

She from Arizona, probably wants to be on a big stage. AZ makes sense though they've already been super active in the portal and their offense can be pretty brutal. I think she'd thrive on an uptempo the where she can continue to play like a combo guard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ooo wow this is big time. Love her game. She's already a social media star. If I were her I'd think I should get more recognition. 2 years left of eligibility tho I believe she's a bit older cuz she missed a year due to injury. If she ends up leaving she'd be a big time get.

I am praying she transfers to Stanford.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Seeing that the May 1st date has passed for immediate eligibility, I am guessing that she will still be eligible because of the BYU coaching change???
It is so nice that the NCAA puts forth rules but with enough exceptions that the rules don't really matter. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I am praying she transfers to Stanford.

It's highly unlikely that Gonzales can get admission into Stanford this late in the year. It's more likely that she ends up somewhere else, but I would be pleasantly surprised if we somehow snare her.

Reaction Score
Shaylee Gonzales (BYU) has entered the transfer portal
C'mon Utah Ute coach Roberts. If Gonzales is interested this would be a no-brainer! Its a two-fer: pick up a star guard and sock it to your school nemesis in one "Swoop."

Reaction Score
Utah could be a possibility. Also I think NC State might emerge as in the mix.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom