Transfer portal part 2 | Page 33 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal part 2

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Looking to working toward being a physician one day. Program with a great med school would be pretty ideal.

This is really not a surprise. Littleton transferred to SC from TX two years ago with a good deal of fanfare. She averaged only 11.6 mpg her first season at SC and then 9 mpg this past season. In the championship game she played just 1 minute, with zeros across the board on the stat sheet. The grass isn’t always greener.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This is really not a surprise. Littleton transferred to SC from TX two years ago with a good deal of fanfare. She averaged only 11.6 mpg her first season at SC and then 9 mpg this past season. In the championship game she played just 1 minute, with zeros across the board on the stat sheet. The grass isn’t always greener.
And originally committed to the other USC before ending up at Texas.

Reaction Score
I doubt her decision will have much to do with basketball. She is trying to pursue a medical degree so she is probably looking for a free year of grad school while she pursues her dream of becoming a doctor. I don't get the impression that she is looking to increase her exposure on the basketball court. I think she would have stayed if South Carolina could offer what she was looking for.

I also don't like your "the grass is always greener" comment. I get the impression that she loved her time here. I don't think you understand her situation at South Carolina because your comment is way off base...

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

Looking to working toward being a physician one day. Program with a great med school would be pretty ideal.

Or maybe a post-bac. I didn't go to med school, but from everything I heard from my friends who did, M1 didn't sound like the kind of year you can miss 1/3 of class for road games...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I doubt her decision will have much to do with basketball. She is trying to pursue a medical degree so she is probably looking for a free year of grad school while she pursues her dream of becoming a doctor. I don't get the impression that she is looking to increase her exposure on the basketball court. I think she would have stayed if South Carolina could offer what she was looking for.

I also don't like your "the grass is always greener" comment. I get the impression that she loved her time here. I don't think you understand her situation at South Carolina because your comment is way off base...
Grass is always greener rarely applys to grad transfers IMO. Even if it is basketball related, who can blame her for wanting to take on a bigger role elsewhere after winning a championship? When Natalie Butler transferred into UCONN and then grad transferred to a program where she could be a star, no criticized her or her decision. The same mentality should be granted for Littleton (or any other grad transfer IMO.)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

In 2 seasons at TX, Littleton averaged better than 24 mpg. In 2 seasons at SC she averaged less than half that amount, including the aforementioned 1 minute of PT in the national championship game. More than anything else, players want to play.

As for med-school, SC has a med school. If she loved her time so much in Columbia, why not remain there?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Grass is always greener rarely applys to grad transfers IMO. Even if it is basketball related, who can blame her for wanting to take on a bigger role elsewhere after winning a championship? When Natalie Butler transferred into UCONN and then grad transferred to a program where she could be a star, no criticized her or her decision. The same mentality should be granted for Littleton (or any other grad transfer IMO.)
Nat’s father was a Naval Academy grad who worked in foreign affairs for the federal government. George Mason, where Nat transferred as a grad student, had an outstanding graduate program in international affairs. After getting her degree, Nat was able to line up an internship in Brussels in her chosen field while also playing basketball professionally in Belgium.

Reaction Score

She may have loved her time in SC, love her team, love being a national
champion, and still be disappointed that she didn't get to play more. However,
if she is seriously considering med school, it probably is more of a life decision than basketball decision. She may transfer to a school in the state she wants to go to med school in to establish residency. Being in state increases chances of admission and has lower tuition at many schools.

Reaction Score
I think it makes sense to return to USC which is somewhat home for her (San Diego) and as said upthread, re-establish her California residency for medical school. She has her National Championship but if she's already decided on a career in medicine, it does make sense to transfer.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It will be an interesting situation- choose the most viable med school or choose a school with a med school and a basketball team to get the 1st year paid for....:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Will have to see how far Littleton will go from South Carolina/southeastern USA as she's been in a long term relationship with a Gamecock football player who recently retired and will stay on as a GA with the team next season.

As for grass being greener, between Texas and South Carolina, going to SC was definitely greener pastures for her. She was miserable in Austin. She may have played a lot less, but as she said in her farewell video, she made the right decision to come to SC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It will be an interesting situation- choose the most viable med school or choose a school with a med school and a basketball team to get the 1st year paid for....:rolleyes:
Could be wrong but I think Littleton will spend a year in a masters program while competing her final year of eligibility and spending time preparing for admission to med school the following year. As noted previously and possibly in a different thread it would be next to impossible playing basketball and completing 1st year med school classes successfully.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That is not entirely correct. This is the BY and there is bound to be criticism even a UCONN player were to cure cancer. Natalie walked away from a 36 and 1 team. The team still managed to go 36 and 1 in the season after she walked away. The basis of my criticism was that Natalie could have been a difference maker in that 1 loss. Recall that Bartouly Camara was not healthy and an additional post player would have allowed Gabby and or Napheesa Collier to be flipped to a wing position. This would have been one of UCONN deepest teams ever. C: Azura and Natalie
PF: Napheesa & Batouly
SF: Gabby, KLS & Megan
SG: Kia & AEH
PG Crystal

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
That is not entirely correct. This is the BY and there is bound to be criticism even a UCONN player were to cure cancer. Natalie walked away from a 36 and 1 team. The team still managed to go 36 and 1 in the season after she walked away. The basis of my criticism was that Natalie could have been a difference maker in that 1 loss. Recall that Bartouly Camara was not healthy and an additional post player would have allowed Gabby and or Napheesa Collier to be flipped to a wing position. This would have been one of UCONN deepest teams ever. C: Azura and Natalie
PG Crystal
Didn't Natalie transfer to George Mason because of their post graduate curriculum, which UConn did not offer?

Reaction Score

There’s a lot more to Destiny than just looking for a right basketball school. She’s already been through more than most adults. Read her story.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
There’s a lot more to Destiny than just looking for a right basketball school. She’s already been through more than most adults. Read her story.

Wow thanks for sharing, really sad but insightful read. I cant imagine all she's endured and how she still is keeping herself together. I hope she thrives at her new program.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
PG Crystal
Writing was on the wall for Butler--she was going to be chopped out of the rotation the second Stevens was eligible. Geno keeps a tight rotation and even with all that talent only went 6 deep. In the Final Four game, he infamously kept Stevens on the bench for too long which allowed ND to come back in the 3rd after she was a huge difference maker in the 2nd. Having Butler wouldve made zero difference in the outcome of that season, and to Butler's credit, she had an unbelievable senior season at George Mason playing against weaker competition.

Reaction Score

Wow thanks for sharing, really sad but insightful read. I cant imagine all she's endured and how she still is keeping herself together. I hope she thrives at her new program.
Yes and I hope she gets a chance to start and make it to the WNBA if that is still she what she wants.

Reaction Score
This is Destiny’s testimony that she’ll share with her future patients. May she be successful in her professional aspirations.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom