Transfer portal - outbound | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal - outbound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Robinson et al are proving RE's point with their stupidity. They didn't buy into his culture which worked pretty well before they were here and he obviously is looking for kids who will buy in now. Problem is how many kids can you shed to fill an 85 man roster where all buy in?
I agree with this. How many of these guys went on to do jack ? These guys are so un memorable it kind of does prove a point that these guys aren’t as great as they all think they were. Sure the coaching has blame but let’s be real these players that have all left that whole 47 players three years. What’s that prove they all transferred to go on and do what exactly?just proves they all sucked anyways and it would be best to bring in players to buy in and create a program.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
To put it in perspective, UConn, through graduation or transfer is probably losing 4 starters from this year.

Hmmm thinking aloud:

losing:
Peart
DeGeorge
Leone
A. Brown

Coyle
Herring-Wilson (did miss a fair number of snaps for injuries)
Gilmartin - pseudo starter

who did I miss?

Can’t really can’t D. Williams or Hubbard as true starters given their limited starts.

Reaction Score
To put it in perspective, UConn, through graduation or transfer is probably losing 4 starters from this year.
Thanks for your enlightening perspective....I meant that the Diaco recruits are pretty much gone. It’s Randy’s team....

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I just wish Coyle would stay. He stopped what seemed like 30 certain touchdowns this season singlehandedly.

what was coyle best at? I really can’t say myself... the run? Protecting the flat? He never truly got to the next level here because in my opinion he didn’t make that many plays on the ball in the air with pass defenses and picks. He seem to be best as the back stop and containing the run. But really, I’m open to other opinions here.

Reaction Score
To paraphrase, "We finished 2-10 with you, we can do it without you".
I'd say how much worse can it be without them, then I remember 2018 season.

Coyle is the only impact player of the group.
You talking only about the players? How about we are 3-30 against FCS teams with you leading us HCRE2.0, we can do that without you.

Reaction Score
what was coyle best at? I really can’t say myself... the run? Protecting the flat? He never truly got to the next level here because in my opinion he didn’t make that many plays on the ball in the air with pass defenses and picks. He seem to be best as the back stop and containing the run. But really, I’m open to other opinions here.
Avoiding contact???

Reaction Score

I don’t really disagree with this assessment, he was our safety net. He just ran down the ball when no one else was fast enough to do it. He was clearly our best player. I fear some people just don’t realize it because he isn’t an offensive player. Tyler Coyle likely has a long career in football ahead of him.

Reaction Score
A lot of these guys were Diaco recruits and let’s face it for the most part, Diaco didn’t recruit well and Randy quite frankly made the decision to go with a youth movement.
I don't disagree. But we are going into year 4. Holmes, Hubbard, Carrol were all Randy guys as were others that have bounced the prior 2 off seasons. If you're gonna claim you're a developmental program, can't have all your 5th year guys bouncing.

Reaction Score
Hmmm thinking aloud:

losing:
Peart
DeGeorge
Leone
A. Brown

Coyle
Herring-Wilson (did miss a fair number of snaps for injuries)
Gilmartin - pseudo starter

who did I miss?

Can’t really can’t D. Williams or Hubbard as true starters given their limited starts.
I think the starters lost are Peart, Leone, One other OL (DeGeorge or his backup), and Coyle. Brown was injured part of the time so maybe he should be considered a starter, Herring-Wilson was losing his spot and played 8 games, and Gilmartin was a backup and played in 6 games. That's how I get to 4, maybe 5. And, that is a low number for an FBS school.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree. But we are going into year 4. Holmes, Hubbard, Carrol were all Randy guys as were others that have bounced the prior 2 off seasons. If you're gonna claim you're a developmental program, can't have all your 5th year guys bouncing.
Carroll was an academic casualty. Unfortunately, that happens.

Out of the 5th year guys that aren't returning, maybe 2 to 3 were going to be starters next year. It would have been great to keep those 3, but most of the 5th year guys were not going to be significant contributors.

Reaction Score
Carroll was an academic casualty. Unfortunately, that happens.

Out of the 5th year guys that aren't returning, maybe 2 to 3 were going to be starters next year. It would have been great to keep those 3, but most of the 5th year guys were not going to be significant contributors.
That's fair. They should abandon all attempts at red shirting players though. Makes no sense inf they are not going to at least provide depth their last year.

Reaction Score
Robinson certainly seems to have an axe to grind... I'd assume it stems from his suspension by Edsall following his DUI.

It's disappointing albeit not surprising to see the guys who are eligible immediately look for other opportunities. Obviously some of these were known/planned ahead of time, which is why the 5th-year OL were honored on senior day... others either waited to make their intentions known or only decided recently. Best of luck to them. Coyle, Herring-Wilson, would've contributed. It'll be interesting to see who lands where.
UMass?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Randy Edsall purges 13 follows from his Twitter this evening. I’m not nerd enough to try to figure it out. It’s not all transfers - he does drop most recruits that go elsewhere.

Reaction Score
We'll absolutely miss Coyle, and maybe 1-2 others, like DeGeorge. It's not great.

But they've graduated and Coyle is gonna get to play somewhere and maybe this is his last chance to win somewhere decent. I don't begrudge him that. Maybe we take a step forward next year, but it's not gonna be the step forward that is gonna help someone like Coyle take that next step.

The rest, well, they're backups, and it sucks and we need depth but not gonna make a huge dent.

If we start losing kids who hate it here so badly they're willing to sit a year, well, holy cow, that's a much more serious problem.

So my feeling is: yes, it stinks, but it makes 100% sense to me. Kids got brought in by old coach, lost for 4 years, and this is their last chance to play in college and they get a free transfer. That's how it goes. Coyle doesn't have 2 years for us to turn it around.

And if Edsall doesn't get us going in the right direction next year, well. He'll also be graduating.

Reaction Score

Coyle is a good athlete. But he didn't make many plays this season. The only highlight was probably that pick 6 in the Illinois game. Often it seemed like he was out of position. He was okay.

Reaction Score
Coyle is a good athlete. But he didn't make many plays this season. The only highlight was probably that pick 6 in the Illinois game. Often it seemed like he was out of position. He was okay.
Probably broke up more passes than the rest of the DBs combined AND led the team in tackles. But if he decided to move on so be it.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Sad to see Coyle, and Williams leaving. Williams went through a lot with being quarterback, then wide receiver and finally tight end. He endured a lot under Diaco and came out pretty well.
Coyle was one of my favorites after meeting him this past summer. I think he will succeed in whatever he does and I wish him well.

I wish all of them well but this is going to happen to a program that isn't winning.

I will wait to see who comes in via scholarship, portal, and Juco.

Reaction Score
I don't think the issue is all these guys transferring - Coyle is the only guy I'll miss. It becomes an Edsall problem if we can't get JUCOs and transfers in that are more talented than the guys leaving. If he can't or refuses to replace the guys leaving, then we have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom