Transfer portal - outbound | Page 33 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal - outbound

Status
Not open for further replies.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
If anyone was actively pushing out Tyler Coyle they should be run out of town. Connecticut guy who kept getting better every year with a hurricane swirling around that entire defense with so many changes.
It really makes no sense and there has not been any sort of explanation but it happened and we can only hope someone steps in next year to fill that void.

Reaction Score
It really makes no sense and there has not been any sort of explanation but it happened and we can only hope someone steps in next year to fill that void.

I don't understand this discussion. From what I know, would I want Tyler Coyle back? Absolutely. Is it hard to posit reasons why Coyle might have wanted to leave (not saying he did -- just can we think of reasons)? Of course not. Is it hard to posit reasons why Edsall might have wanted him to leave? Again, without knowing it's true, of course it's not.

So all we do know is that, unless you've decided not just that Edsall should be fired (totally rational) but that everything that ever goes wrong must be because he's an idiot (not totally rational), there is no reason to doubt that if Edsall did push Coyle out the door he must have had a reason that made sense to him, and it's highly unlikely it had to do with on field utility. All those who keep complaining they need to know more are doing are begging someone without information to say something bad about Coyle or his attitude. So I would ask those people to please stop it before their words cause that response.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
...All those who keep complaining they need to know more are doing are begging someone without information to say something bad about Coyle or his attitude. So I would ask those people to please stop it before their words cause that response.
Good post BL. This is an argument about opinions, not about facts, or even partially factual information. Devoid of those facts, it evolves into name calling and further speculation about possible facts, which only leads to the trashing of one or both parties...with no ultimate resolution. Some info will come out at some point. Seems like that will be a better time for opinions.

Reaction Score
The reason? RE is in charge. That is the reason. He makes the decisions whether we like it or not.
Yeah, and that is a BS reason. If "because I am in charge and I don't want you here" is the reason, well then that is just total BS. NOT a valid reason at all.

You don't know anything. You are just like the other blowhards on this forum who claim to get things from the horse's mouth and when pushed offer up BS like that. A total dodge.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Yeah, and that is a BS reason. If "because I am in charge and I don't want you here" is the reason, well then that is just total BS. NOT a valid reason at all.

You don't know anything. You are just like the other blowhards on this forum who claim to get things from the horse's mouth and when pushed offer up BS like that. A total dodge.
He didn't give you a specific reason other than RE said so. That hardly makes 31 Guard Trap a blowhard. I am sorry for your frustration. I have spoken to those I needed to speak to at UConn to get out in front of this and let the few remaining fans get some insight. It is not up to those who do get info to share it on a football forum. This forum is not the place for news, that is what reporters with credentials are for.

Reaction Score
He didn't give you a specific reason other than RE said so. That hardly makes 31 Guard Trap a blowhard. I am sorry for your frustration. I have spoken to those I needed to speak to at UConn to get out in front of this and let the few remaining fans get some insight. It is not up to those who do get info to share it on a football forum. This forum is not the place for news, that is what reporters with credentials are for.
He is being challenged because he came on as a know it all with inside information. Don't lecture me, lecture him instead. If you are not prepared to back up your controversial assertion, don't make it in the first place. It's just that simple.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Unfortunately it appears Messiah Turner is leaving UConn due to academics.

This puts us at 76 scholarship players on the roster which means the best we can get to is 81 for the coming season after we take our remaining 5 due to the 25 man annual cap.

At the safety position its a little unclear what our depth might be. It seems Diamond Harrell has the Strong Safety locked up with O'Neil Robinson as the 1st guy off the bench while the Free Safety spot might be manned by Rob King with some combination of Malik Dixon (RS Freshman, did not play at all last year), perhaps Jalon Ferrell (third year player that has yet to get consistent snaps), or one of the new true freshman like Alfred Chea or Reyan Blake. Others that might be in play include Malik Banks or pwo Jaylen Jones.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The safety position is going to be the position that I am most concern with going into next year on the defensive side of the ball.

Reaction Score
The safety position is going to be the position that I am most concern with going into next year on the defensive side of the ball.
Honestly the line of defense at the 2nd level might still be our biggest concern. We need our LBs to ball out moving fwd. We've relied on the back of our D way too much.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I expect Harrell and O'Neil Robinson to be our safeties. They key is who is behind them. RE's defenses when good had ball hawking safeties. In today's world, you almost need 3 corners and 2 safeties out there. Dare I say 3-3-5!! Head bang

Reaction Score
I expect Harrell and O'Neil Robinson to be our safeties. They key is who is behind them. RE's defenses when good had ball hawking safeties. In today's world, you almost need 3 corners and 2 safeties out there. Dare I say 3-3-5!! Head bang
To my eyes, King look like a better player than Robinson at the end of the year. In any case, I still think its a position that needs the biggest upgrade. When Harrell got hurt last year we started giving up big plays both on the ground and in the air.

Reaction Score
Those DBs better be a little bigger and stronger and ready to play physical. That's been an issue back there since Randy came back.

Reaction Score
Can not win much with freshman safeties. Harrell and O'Neil have to be big back there.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately it appears Messiah Turner is leaving UConn due to academics.

Very thoughtful comments by Messiah. He's a very young man with a long life ahead of him and hopefully he's figured out where he's fallen short of his own expectations and those of the people he says he's disappointed and will move ahead with a new focus on life and what he wants to achieve. It's just disappointing he won't be able to achieve his goals at UConn.

Reaction Score
This puts us at 76 scholarship players on the roster which means the best we can get to is 81 for the coming season after we take our remaining 5 due to the 25 man annual cap.
Didn't I hear Dabo Swinney talking about 120 kids last night? Do they get to keep and dress that many walk-ons?

Reaction Score
Didn't I hear Dabo Swinney talking about 120 kids last night? Do they get to keep and dress that many walk-ons?

You are limited to some number of total players (105 I think) that can be at practice until classes start. But my recollection is once classes start you can have an unlimited number of walk-ons.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Nebraska has almost 170. As long as you can maintain the Title 9 requirements theres no actual roster limit, although you can only bring so many to camp, keep 85 on scholarship, etc

Reaction Score
You are limited to some number of total players (105 I think) that can be at practice until classes start. But my recollection is once classes start you can have an unlimited number of walk-ons.
Yes, 85 on scholarship, but 105 are allowed on the roster before first game or first class. After that, the roster size is not restricted by the NCAA, so you could have many more kids beyond 105. Realistically, most schools do not want the hassle of managing a huge roster and most kids do not want to be the 120th player on a roster. The exception, as Drew pointed out above, would be a place like Nebraska where kids want to be associated with the program and the school has traditionally supported a large roster.

Reaction Score
Nebraska has almost 170. As long as you can maintain the Title 9 requirements theres no actual roster limit, although you can only bring so many to camp, keep 85 on scholarship, etc
Geesh! Reeeediculous.. no wonder these schools are so good.. they got bodies after bodies after bodies for practice dumbies to prep their teams for real games...

Reaction Score
Honestly the line of defense at the 2nd level might still be our biggest concern. We need our LBs to ball out moving fwd. We've relied on the back of our D way too much.
How about the defense period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32