Transfer portal - outbound | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal - outbound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Joe Williams was recognized as a very talented football player before he got to UConn, but he had to improve his academics which meant some schools backed off. He would have been a pro prospect at UConn if he hadn’t gotten into legal troubles and get dismissed. I don’t think Black is as talented as Williams.
Things were coming out of practices that were similar to Williams when he was here i.e. breaking off long runs on how fast he was. I was looking forward to seeing him play based on those reports with the hopes of improving the team speed on the field. So Mensah as the featured back again. Agree on Williams.

Reaction Score
I don’t think you have a grasp on what is a significant contributor. Their contributions are needed if only to convey to the younger players that we’re part of a culture and we’re sticking with it and we want everyone to see that. Instead just the opposite is happening. Younger players look and see well we have to start considering the transfer portal as a viable option.
They also are needed on the field, to run legit practices, to pass along the schemes, and most importantly to fill the roster with competitive personnel.
Donovan Williams is the epitome of a team player. What does his leaving say in regard to the program?
I agree that you need experienced leadership on the team even if the players aren’t seeing significant playing time. That said, it’s pretty clear that the culture has not been very good so i’m not sure you want to continue the existing culture. In addition, if only the kids who had used up their eligibility left, UConn’s recruiting class this year would have been 10 or less. I think most would agree that size of a recruiting class would be too small given UConn’s need to improve roster talent. Most school want to bring in 20 to 25 new players every year.

Thus, we are seeing roster turnover. I’m sure there are some kids that everyone hopes would stay, but for most it was time to move on. I do give credit to Edsall for giving kids 4 years as many other coaches would have pushed some of the kids out earlier.

One last point on Donovan Williams. I don’t know what is going on there, but he seems like a great team player. I did see that he just graduated from UConn, so maybe that comes into consideration. That said, he is still not in the transfer portal, so it’s unclear what is going on.

Reaction Score
I thought Zavier Scott was still recovering from injuries. He's probably a better pass catcher than a RB.
He was on the "participation squad" all season at WR and was supposedly fully recovered. He doesn't have the body type for WR, it's more suited for RB. He looked good catching passes in 2018 out of the backfield but didn't have natural RB instincts on run plays. By the end of the season it was a give a way when he came in that other teams should expect a screen or pass to him in the flat.

I'm interested to see what Gillespie brings to the table. Edsall had him playing game 1 as a true freshman against UCF. Then torn ACL mid season. Sat out last season to focus on academics. Brings more speed than Mensah and could be a good change of pace back.

Reaction Score
You miss the point amigo. He loses BECAUSE of the methodology. Those steps are NOT necessary. The point is to win the hearts and minds of the players that you inherit. You see it every year across the country when special coaches take over dysfunctional programs. When poor coaches step into situations like UConn 2017, you get a mess like this. This method failed him at Maryland ( my point) and it is repeating itself here. The losing is the byproduct. Im not saying we would be bowl bound, just that we wouldn't be in this abyss.

No, I get that point. He lost the fanbase at Maryland because he treated it as a tear down and rebuild when it didn't have to be. And he deserved to lose the fanbase at Maryland for that. And you are right that it may be the only way he knows.

Having said that, in his first regime here being concerned about building the foundation rather than just trying to squeeze an extra win out here or there with bandaids was absolutely the right approach. And as painful as the last three years have been, I'm not sure it's the wrong approach here. Was this UCF, where players just stopped playing for O'Leary and then were good again when Frost came in and worked with them? Maybe. But if that was the case I'd expect that those who have walked away would have had multiple times the success elsewhere than they have actually had.

Reaction Score
No, I get that point. He lost the fanbase at Maryland because he treated it as a tear down and rebuild when it didn't have to be. And he deserved to lose the fanbase at Maryland for that. And you are right that it may be the only way he knows.

Having said that, in his first regime here being concerned about building the foundation rather than just trying to squeeze an extra win out here or there with bandaids was absolutely the right approach. And as painful as the last three years have been, I'm not sure it's the wrong approach here. Was this UCF, where players just stopped playing for O'Leary and then were good again when Frost came in and worked with them? Maybe. But if that was the case I'd expect that those who have walked away would have had multiple times the success elsewhere than they have actually had.
Ok. I'll buy the foundation plan is possible answer. Just as likely he is a narcissist (Narcissism is the pursuit of gratification from vanity or egotistic admiration of one's idealised self image and attributes. This includes self-flattery, perfectionism, and arrogance.) who blames everyone else and uses intimidation to keep people away from the inner workings of his program so he can't be judged effectively. Track record like Belichick and guess maybe you live with it, track record like HCRE2.0, cut your loses. 3-9, 1-11, 2-10.

Reaction Score
Ok. I'll buy the foundation plan is possible answer. Just as likely he is a narcissist (Narcissism is the pursuit of gratification from vanity or egotistic admiration of one's idealised self image and attributes. This includes self-flattery, perfectionism, and arrogance.) who blames everyone else and uses intimidation to keep people away from the inner workings of his program so he can't be judged effectively. Track record like Belichick and guess maybe you live with it, track record like HCRE2.0, cut your loses. 3-9, 1-11, 2-10.

Without making a medical judgment, does Edsall have a huge ego and demand things be done his way. I don't doubt that for a minute. Of course, that's not an unusual trait for football coaches (or successful business lawyers for that matter).

So since relitigating if he should have been hired three years ago is worthless, especially as given our financial limitations no one would have been happy with who we would have hired if it was someone else, it all still comes down to whether you think firing him is likely to improve our chances of, as a starting point, getting back to mediocrity. As I keep saying, I don't hear anyone saying "he deserves" to keep his job, because based on 6-30 he wouldn't but that doesn't get us anywhere. As I also keep saying, fine if you think that even with our limitations we could make a hire today that would help us get back to mediocrity more quickly. All I'm saying is it's not irrational for Benedict (who is the only one who matters) to think his best chance to be mediocre in two or three years is to stick with his plan.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
this is more feasting for some

Tweets gone. What did it say and who was it from?

Also, when talented underclassmen leave, this is when the panic button should start to be hit. It's one thing when grad transfers occur, it's another when underclassmen who have talent leave. I had a feeling Black was one of the ones you were hinting at Exit4. I'm praying Steven Krajewski is not another.......

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Tweets gone. What did it say and who was it from?

Also, when talented underclassmen leave, this is when the panic button should start to be hit. It's one thing when grad transfers occur, it's another when underclassmen who have talent leave. I had a feeling Black was one of the ones you were hinting at Exit4. I'm praying Steven Krajewski is not another.......

Yes about Black....I have heard other names...but they are rumors that I hope aren't true.

Tahj posted something like real leaders recognize their own faults or something like that. It was a not so thinly veiled shot at Edsall. A lot of portal kids and several still on the roster gave it a like including some guys that arent that active on twitter so....

Reaction Score
Yes about Black....I have heard other names...but they are rumors that I hope aren't true.

Tahj posted something like real leaders recognize their own faults or something like that. It was a not so thinly veiled shot at Edsall. A lot of portal kids and several still on the roster gave it a like including some guys that arent that active on twitter so....

Unfortunately it seems like a astute abservation on Tahj’s part.
I think it is one of RE’s biggest shortcoming.

Reaction Score
He was on the "participation squad" all season at WR and was supposedly fully recovered. He doesn't have the body type for WR, it's more suited for RB. He looked good catching passes in 2018 out of the backfield but didn't have natural RB instincts on run plays. By the end of the season it was a give a way when he came in that other teams should expect a screen or pass to him in the flat.

I'm interested to see what Gillespie brings to the table. Edsall had him playing game 1 as a true freshman against UCF. Then torn ACL mid season. Sat out last season to focus on academics. Brings more speed than Mensah and could be a good change of pace back.
Re-energized about the thought of having Gillespie do some things for us this upcoming season... PLUS he's a CT kid... Would be a great story when it's all said and done..

Reaction Score
Well - its a gracious exit post

The Queen song is ringing in my head (can't stop it!) ("Another one bites the dust.. and another does, another does, another bites the dust!)... Wish him nothing but the best...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Not wanting to read to read too much into it but Steven Krajewski retweeted with a comment. This is going downhill real fast.

EDIT: Just saw he's retweeted all transfers with comments so maybe just wishing them well....

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
C'mon, Edsell pushed out the best player on defense? That makes no sense. Coyle appears to be the only one hustling most of the time. Meanwhile, the other DBs are jogging and trying to avoid making real tackles.
Yup.
Nothing Edsall does makes sense to anyone but himself. Believe me, when I had heard this, I was surprised myself.

Reaction Score
Yes. That must be it. A guy who sent multiple two stars and walk ons to the NFL must be wrong when he doesn't play someone.

Do I want all these players gone? Of course not. But the assuming that if a player leaves for lack of playing time Edsall must be wrong about him -- well, see my other threaD.
I get where you’re coming from but most of these kids were 8-12 years old the last time Edsall produced an NFL prospect. Who was the last one Stefon Diggs?? I don’t know what any of the kids will turn out to be but it’s pretty clear they don’t want to play for Edsall.

Reaction Score
Nobody wants kids to leave the program and we all appreciate their commitment and effort. At most colleges, 4th year players are not invited back for a 5th year unless you are projected to be a starter or a key backup. Some schools push kids out before they get to the 4th year if they are not projected to be key contributors on the field.

Edsall probably doesn't want all of the kids to leave that are in the portal, but for most, it was time to seek another opportunity. Unfortunately, that is the tough reality of college football. The players that are leaving that were starters may want to try to see if they can play up for their last year. You have to respect that after the losing the past 4 years.

If you look at the 4th year players that are currently in the portal or have announced their departure, here are their stats for 2019:

Beaudry: played 5 games, 53/83 503 yards, 1 TD, 2 int. 2nd on team for pass yards, 3rd for TD passes.
Donaldson: played 10 games, 2 receptions, 30 yards, no TDs. 25 kickoffs. 7th in receptions by WRs.
Brouse: played 0 games
Leone: played 11 games, OL starter
Hahn: played 12 games, 3 tackles. 8th in tackles for LBs,
Gilmartin: played 6 games, 29 tackles, 1 sack, 5th in tackles for LBs.
Garson: played 1 game, no stats
Herring-Wilson: played 8 games, 17 tackles, 1 pass break up. 7th in tackles for DBs.
Coyle: played 11 games, 86 tackles, 1 int., 10 pass breakups. 1st in tackles and pass break ups on team.
Graham: played 11 games, kick holder, no punts.
D. Williams: played 4 games, 5 catches 62 yards. 3rd in receptions for TEs.

Here are the undergrads that appear to be leaving:

Black: played 6 games, 13 carries, 61 yards, 0 TDs, 1 catch, 6 yards. 3rd in rushing yards on team.
Scott: played 4 games, no stats
Carroll: played 0 games. Academic redshirt.
Hubbard: played 3 games, OL backup.
Holmes: played 12 games, OL backup

Out of all the players leaving, 2 were starters. (I did not include DeGeorge as he is not yet in the portal.)

Reaction Score
One thing you could count on basically his entire tenure first time around was a good to dominant running game. There are plenty of places to question him but evaluating running back talent is not one of them
The first time around is irrelevant. It’s ten freaking years ago. Which RB talent has 2.0 brought in? Mensah and.....who?

Do people really think Mensah will play in the NFL? Undersized, north-south runner (has shown no ability to outrun defenders to the edge). Terrible pass blocker. Below average receiver. Zero shiftiness.

Reaction Score
The first time around is irrelevant. It’s ten freaking years ago. Which RB talent has 2.0 brought in? Mensah and.....who?

Do people really think Mensah will play in the NFL? Undersized, north-south runner (has shown no ability to outrun defenders to the edge). Terrible pass blocker. Below average receiver. Zero shiftiness.
kris1 - what position did u play in college?

Reaction Score
One RB injury away from making the fan base happy and throwing 60 times a game.
We need 3 RBs for this recruiting class (1 HS/Prep, 1 JUCO, 1 Grad Transfer)... 2 isn't enough...

Reaction Score
One RB injury away from making the fan base happy and throwing 60 times a game.

That’s a heck of a forcing function.

What happens when we run out of QBs because the glass Canadian got injured again?

Reaction Score
kris1 - what position did u play in college?
I played baseball and basketball in college. I coached football for 20+ years. I also train athletes. Does it matter if I played college football? There are plenty of GREAT coaches who never played the game. Don’t be a dick...if you are trying to be a dick. ;)

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

That's a bit overly critical and especially of a college kid.

He improved as a pass blocker and that over the shoulder catch out of the backfield against ECU showed me he has good hands and the ability to adjust to a throw. No he doesn't have breakaway speed and isn't shifty, but he still got 1000 yards 2 years in a row. He might not be an NFL back, but he is a good not great college back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom