Transfer portal - outbound | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal - outbound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Transferring as an undergrad when you have to sit out a year is extremely difficult as schools generally don’t want to commit a scholarship to a kid that won’t play unless you are a unique talent. A G5 undergrad transfer who hasn’t played much is probably going to have to go JUCO or FCS.
I wouldn't be surprised seeing Black take the Joe William's route. He ended blowing up into a NFL prospect at Utah

Reaction Score
I thought Zavier Scott was still recovering from injuries. He's probably a better pass catcher than a RB.
He was supposed to project as a WR when he got here, but got forced into playing RB his 1st year due to injury. Set him back a bit it seems.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised seeing Black take the Joe William's route. He ended blowing up into a NFL prospect at Utah
Joe Williams was recognized as a very talented football player before he got to UConn, but he had to improve his academics which meant some schools backed off. He would have been a pro prospect at UConn if he hadn’t gotten into legal troubles and get dismissed. I don’t think Black is as talented as Williams.

Reaction Score
Unfortunate that Black is leaving. Not sure when he was supposed to play though we had 2 good backs ahead of him, hard to find carries for 3. And we don't exactly blow teams out which is typically when you can get other backs more carries. Guess he wasn't willing to wait his turn

Reaction Score
Yeah, Edsall didn’t play him because he is an extraordinary talent. He’ll undoubtedly move onto Bama or the OSU sit out a year.

Honest to god, nothing against the kid, but the reason he’s moving on is pretty obvious.
Was it bad eye discipline?

Reaction Score
Because Edsall is a terrible coach?

Yes. That must be it. A guy who sent multiple two stars and walk ons to the NFL must be wrong when he doesn't play someone.

Do I want all these players gone? Of course not. But the assuming that if a player leaves for lack of playing time Edsall must be wrong about him -- well, see my other threaD.

Reaction Score
Yes. That must be it. A guy who sent multiple two stars and walk ons to the NFL must be wrong when he doesn't play someone.

Do I want all these players gone? Of course not. But the assuming that if a player leaves for lack of playing time Edsall must be wrong about him -- well, see my other threaD.
You mean the guy with a losing record as a head coach and 2 in conference winning seasons (out of 15). Yeah, let me count on that guy to evaluate talent.

Reaction Score
What a friggin hypocrite. In a post we're you destroying a coach for not winning, you take the time to also destroy him for taking steps that he thinks are necessary to rebuild the program. May you get judged at your office just as fairly.
You miss the point amigo. He loses BECAUSE of the methodology. Those steps are NOT necessary. The point is to win the hearts and minds of the players that you inherit. You see it every year across the country when special coaches take over dysfunctional programs. When poor coaches step into situations like UConn 2017, you get a mess like this. This method failed him at Maryland ( my point) and it is repeating itself here. The losing is the byproduct. Im not saying we would be bowl bound, just that we wouldn't be in this abyss.

Reaction Score
I Hear that Kyle Williams will be sticking around for 2020
Black was nailed to the bench when Edsall decided to use only two RBs regardless of score. Then when Thompkins got hurt, Edsall still didn't play Black. Don't blame him for moving on.
Dante Black is an outstanding athlete and was the highest ranked Edsall recruit in the class of 2018. Edsall did not take advantage of the four game rule last year and sat him out the entire season until a few plays in the last game. Then he does the exact same thing to him in 2019 when it is a blowout game and when Mensah and Thompkins are injured.

RE may be good at evaluating talent but how is a player suppose to develop when Edsall doesn’t give them game time or we go through three offensive coaches in three years? These are some things that need to improve moving forward.

Reaction Score
You mean the guy with a losing record as a head coach and 2 in conference winning seasons (out of 15). Yeah, let me count on that guy to evaluate talent.

One thing you could count on basically his entire tenure first time around was a good to dominant running game. There are plenty of places to question him but evaluating running back talent is not one of them

Reaction Score
Unfortunate that Black is leaving. Not sure when he was supposed to play though we had 2 good backs ahead of him, hard to find carries for 3. And we don't exactly blow teams out which is typically when you can get other backs more carries. Guess he wasn't willing to wait his turn
I don’t think it’s about “waiting his time.” There were plenty of times Edsall could’ve thrown that kid a bone. How about all those blow out games in 2018 and 2019? How about when KM and AT were injured? Or how about giving him some reps when we were down by 35 points in the fourth quarter.

Reaction Score
Kids that transfer will be more than likely be granted immediate eligibility. Them dropping to independent while being recruited to a team under the impression of conference affiliation may be enough. Not to mention three different OCs in three years. He’ll have a solid pitch to be granted immediate eligibility. Look at Tate martell he got immediate eligibility under way less circumstances

Reaction Score
Kids that transfer will be more than likely be granted immediate eligibility. Them dropping to independent while being recruited to a team under the impression of conference affiliation may be enough. Not to mention three different OCs in three years. He’ll have a solid pitch to be granted immediate eligibility. Look at Tate martell he got immediate eligibility under way less circumstances
Maybe, but look on Twitter to see what schools are following kids. I think if an undergrad who didn’t play is looking to move to a P5, they probably need to go JUCO.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but look on Twitter to see what schools are following kids. I think if an undergrad who didn’t play is looking to move to a P5, they probably need to go JUCO.

yea probably true on that unless they alreadyhad relationship with the kid. I was more speaking on if he’d have to sit a year. A out of these kids if they leave now will have a real good shot at immediate eligibility

Reaction Score
I thought Zavier Scott was still recovering from injuries. He's probably a better pass catcher than a RB.
His knee was shredded at the end of last season. Think he tore the ACL, PCL and MCL and who knows what else. That could be difficult to come back from. I thought he showed a lot of promise last year.

Reaction Score
Carroll was an academic casualty. Unfortunately, that happens.

Out of the 5th year guys that aren't returning, maybe 2 to 3 were going to be starters next year. It would have been great to keep those 3, but most of the 5th year guys were not going to be significant contributors.
I don’t think you have a grasp on what is a significant contributor. Their contributions are needed if only to convey to the younger players that we’re part of a culture and we’re sticking with it and we want everyone to see that. Instead just the opposite is happening. Younger players look and see well we have to start considering the transfer portal as a viable option.
They also are needed on the field, to run legit practices, to pass along the schemes, and most importantly to fill the roster with competitive personnel.
Donovan Williams is the epitome of a team player. What does his leaving say in regard to the program?

Reaction Score
I don’t think you have a grasp on what is a significant contributor. Their contributions are needed if only to convey to the younger players that we’re part of a culture and we’re sticking with it and we want everyone to see that. Instead just the opposite is happening. Younger players look and see well we have to start considering the transfer portal as a viable option.
They also are needed on the field, to run legit practices, to pass along the schemes, and most importantly to fill the roster with competitive personnel.
Donovan Williams is the epitome of a team player. What does his leaving say in regard to the program?
A breath of fresh air? I agree. We all owe a ton of thanks to Donovan. From starting 3 games a true freshman at QB un expectedly to changing positions numerous times and multiple coaching staff changes. He stuck it out. I would read too much into his moving on. Tyler Davis did the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom