Transfer Portal April 2023 | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal April 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
However, on their forums they were excited and expecting Graham Ike to be committed to them in the same way we were expecting Nicholas Timberlake to be committed to UConn.
1682086743299.png

Reaction Score
They have a worse roster than last year with George Mason players and an unproven George Mason coach. Please do not compare them to the National Championship Winning UConn Huskies.
not comparing them to UConn at all in terms of how good they will be. I am comparing only their expectation of getting Graham Ike to our expectation of getting Nicholas Timberlake, that's it, full stop.

Reaction Score
Funny enough Gaffney would probably be a good fit for this years team as a guy who can simply be an extra ballhandler who takes a few shots. Don’t need anything crazy from the backup PG spot. Just a Craig Austrie type.
No, he did not improve at all at fau. Watched several games, can bring the ball up court with zero pressure and stand around and do nothing.

caw

Reaction Score
Idk where to put this but Philon just decommited from Auburn. 2nd to do so in their 2024 class. Will be interesting if Tahaad decides to do the same. I’m sure staff is keepin a pulse on that situation

Why the decommits?

Lost an assistant (Wes Flanagan) to Ole Miss as an assistant. Was the lead on Philon. Not sure on Pettiford.

Reaction Score
Lost an assistant (Wes Flanagan) to Ole Miss as an assistant. Was the lead on Philon. Not sure on Pettiford.
Auburn loses commits b/c someone comes in w higher bid, recently happened with a 4-star big. The kids don't have this huge connection to staff, just the $$$. Much diff than Hurley, who the kids can trust and connect to.

Still amazed Tahad didn't pick us with the Hurley connection to his dad.

Reaction Score
Ooooooooooooooohhhh something to monitor for sure. Very interested in who we prioritize once the 2024 recruiting season heats up. Other than Betsey, I have no idea.

Reaction Score
Shooter?

I'm definitely interested in Fredrick.

He's had curious splits between his time at Iowa (46.6 3p%) and Kentucky (31.8%). Obviously, there was the injury concerns, but system philosophy played a role too.

One reason: Kentucky is an interior focused team. Just 30% of their shot attempts last year were from 3 (330th in the nation), so Fredrick was the clear guy to prevent on the perimeter.

On the other hand, Iowa has a stronger perimeter game: in his last year at Iowa, 39.8% of the team's shot attempts were from three (good for 108th in the nation), the team shot 38.6% from three (10th in the nation) and their A/FGM ratio (64.4%), jives nicely to what Hurley ran last year (63.2%).

That being said, Fredrick blossomed on a team that had a variety of perimeter weapons and that would be similar here.

To me, it's a no-brainer to be interested in CJ Fredrick: an incredibly efficient (26th highest offensive rating in his last season at Iowa) veteran shooter.

Reaction Score
Ooof.

No one knows because I dont think he has been healthy for 1 game in 4 years of college.

Only ties up a scholarship for one year though, helps offset the injury risk. Could be Joey C. hiding behind those injuries.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
No, he did not improve at all at fau. Watched several games, can bring the ball up court with zero pressure and stand around and do nothing.
I’m not saying he needs to come back or he shouldn’t have left.

Simply that his type would be good for next year as just a reliable ballhandler who can get us into an offense and hit some open shots. Ala Craig Austrie. If Newton doesn’t come back our PGs are Castle, Ball, and Diarra. Would be nice to have a “true” PG in the mix.

Reaction Score
I'd consider a flier on Fredrick. If his shooting hand is healthy again for next season, he'd be a valuable piece. He might get hurt again, but we've got the depth to make it work. It's a higher upside play than many of the others post-Timberlake.

Reaction Score
Speaking of higher upside, and I know @auror has brought him up already, is Niagara's Noah Thomasson.

I haven't watch him live, but I've seen him play a few MAAC regular season/tourney games on TV and he's a bucket 6'3 195 CG: averaged 19.5p, 3.5a, 1.8 TO, 1.7 3PM, 38.6 3P%, 4.3 FTA at 66.7 FT%.

He's a little too skewed to the offensive end (plus I'd like that FT% rate higher), but Thomasson can play and has the ability to create his own
offense.

Looking at those visits, obviously UConn is a better program, but I don't know if we can offer the same level of PT that Georgia and St. John's can.

That being said, he's an icy-veined guard who can play the 1 or 2: there are so many variables in play, but hypothetically I'd be very happy with a Thomasson/Fredrick combo in the portal.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Croswell was serviceable, but hes not vital. This is Hopkins and Carters team and they improved at guard spots tremendously. Pierre and Dual are going to light years better than Bynum and Breed.
You've been posting on Friar Talk too long, no way to know how good they will be. And Hopkins better develop some more offensive game as everyone's figured out what he can and can't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom