Transfer Portal (2022-2023) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal (2022-2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
So glad Stanford will likely never have a widescale transfer problem, this is just too much to keep up with :confused:
That's one way to look at it.

Most players who go to Stanford won't give up their 4-year scholarship whether they are having success on the court or not. And, not that Stanford accepts many undergraduate transfers to begin with (Brooke Smith from Duke many years ago comes to mind), but if you make player evaluation mistakes (like so many coaches do), not being able to use the transfer portal to fill gaps in your roster can be costly as other schools are taking advantage of the transfer portal to strengthen their rosters. Stanford women's volleyball is finding that out.

Reaction Score
PAC-12 was down last year? When 2 x PAC-12 teams are in the NCAA Final?
Yep the league stunk except those two teams. Oregon, Oregon St, UCLA dropped off big. No one else was any good either below them. It was one of the worst Pac 12 regular seasons to watch in years.
All of WBB was down last year. Look how awful the draft was.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

giphy.gif

Haha!!!! Obviously, Mizzou needs a new 420 policy. lmao. Any more departures and cheerleaders will be suiting up.

Reaction Score
Yes. But having entered you may have burned bridges.

In today's era of the transfer portal, it seems that most would be understanding of players thinking about transferring if their head coach is either fired or retires. That also typically means that not only will there be a new head coach, but an entirely new coaching staff that did not recruit that player, or that player did not choose to play for them initially. Whatever possible bridges that may be burned may not even be there anymore, with a new staff. It also depends on how well said player handled her decision to transfer - her relationship with players on the team, making sure they understand her reasonings behind it.

ALL players may be putting their names in the transfer portal tomorrow, and just don't realize it yet today. You never know with how things change these days. So unless there were lockerroom personality issues between players, I could see Jones deciding to remain with the team once she knows who would be the head coach and staff moving forward. And I could see the rest of the team embracing her return.....

Reaction Score
Yep the league stunk except those two teams. Oregon, Oregon St, UCLA dropped off big. No one else was any good either below them. It was one of the worst Pac 12 regular seasons to watch in years. They league lost a lot of talent.
All of WBB was down last year.
I would completely disagree that the entire PAC-12 league stunk last year. OSU played very well at end of season last year, exited the tournament to South Carolina. This year, not so much. Oregon & UCLA dropped off for sure, but I wouldn't say they stunk it up either last season.

Reaction Score
Yep the league stunk except those two teams. Oregon, Oregon St, UCLA dropped off big. No one else was any good either below them. It was one of the worst Pac 12 regular seasons to watch in years.
2020-21 Oregon St 7-6, 12-8.
You are correct about UCLA. Forgot they still had Onyenwere. 12-4, 17-6 plus a 4 pt win over Stanford so I was dead wrong about them. Second round loss to Texas a very hot team

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Arizona really weren't world beaters before the Tourney started. During the regular season they weren't head and shoulders ahead of everybody other than Stanford. They finished a whopping 1/2 game ahead of UCLA in the standings. Methinks you are using very much retroactive evaluation based almost entirely off of the Tourney.

Reaction Score
Arizona really weren't world beaters before the Tourney started. During the regular season they weren't head and shoulders ahead of everybody other than Stanford. They finished a whopping 1/2 game ahead of UCLA in the standings. Methinks you are using very much retroactive evaluation based almost entirely off of the Tourney.
Very true. Arizona finished the reg season shaky. Barnes knew they were worn out and had no idea how her team would play in the NCAA’s. Good correction

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Does the existence of the transfer portal help to mitigate “toxic coaching environments”? It seems like making the process easier would help, although I expect there will always be uncertainty especially if you are not getting a lot of court time.

Reaction Score
Does the existence of the transfer portal help to mitigate “toxic coaching environments”? It seems like making the process easier would help, although I expect there will always be uncertainty especially if you are not getting a lot of court time.

I think it depends on what constitutes as toxic. Some student-athletes don't work well with structured disciplinarians and the slightest thing could make them unhappy. I do think there are coaches that encourage some people to enter because they don't think they will produce, which is unfortunate. I think there's a balance and it really just depends on the student. Regarding playing time, there are some that are willing to develop and wait their turns while others want to be the main player from day 1.

Reaction Score
What do you mean by mitigate? Do you mean coaches being investigated/reviewed due to the number of transfers leaving? If so, I'm no really sure if it does. There are a lot of examples where programs continued with the coach even though there was a mass exodus from their programs.

Remember with Syracuse, nothing was going to happen to Hillsman until that article from the Athletic came out. The AD was adamant that they trusted him and was going to keep him.

Northern Kentucky comes to mind as I remember a Canadian player was there and players were very vocal about why they were leaving. That coach remained with the program.

The AD at Detroit Mercy was going to stick with their HC as well last summer until something finally convinced them that it wasn't a good idea.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Ask Syracuse ! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020