Transfer Portal (2022-2023) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal (2022-2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why this idea keeps circulating that the Cavinders are only in it for social media. Nobody says anything like that about Bueckers, and she has by far the biggest social media profile. Fresno St. was decent their first 2 years, then fell off a cliff. Maybe they just want to be on a better team. Mountain West is usually a 1 bid league and they haven't gotten to play in the NCAA Tourney yet.

Reaction Score

Also posted it in the WNIT thread, but the comment about potential West Virginia transfers caught my attention.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Also posted it in the WNIT thread, but the comment about potential West Virginia transfers caught my attention.

I love how Carey was like "Hey y'all we get to play in the WNIT!" and multiple players were like "we out" :D

Reaction Score
Not super surprising. WVU is always very active in the portal. Over 1/3 of their roster this year were players who started at other DI programs (Beh, Samuel, Hemingway, Ejiofor, Morris). Even Martinez had been committed to 1 or 2 other programs (MS State, Texas) before she finally landed at WVU.

Kind of amazing to me how they keep pulling that off -- like, do the recruits just not see the patterns? Also, Morgantown is ... not for everyone.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why this idea keeps circulating that the Cavinders are only in it for social media. Nobody says anything like that about Bueckers, and she has by far the biggest social media profile. Fresno St. was decent their first 2 years, then fell off a cliff. Maybe they just want to be on a better team. Mountain West is usually a 1 bid league and they haven't gotten to play in the NCAA Tourney yet.
Worth noting--Cavinders have 4m+ followers on TikTok which is 4x more than any of Bueckers social media accounts. I'm sure NIL plays a role (as it likely is for many collegiate athletes), but it's not the only factor.

I haven't seen them play but both have nice numbers, especially Haley. 19.8 points, 9.4 rebounds (as a 5-6 guard), 5.7 assists, 45% FG, 37% 3pt, 97% FT...those look like Sabrina Ionescu numbers. They'll be a great pickup for some team out there.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Live feed into the transfer portal
viceland GIF by HUANG'S WORLD

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hopefully it's a large one. Over 100 players have entered the portal since March 1, per Raoul. He's predicting possibly 1,200 this season.
Hmm, some were saying last year's 1000+ was a one time spike. Nope, this genie is not going back in the bottle.
Until we get past the covid 5th year of eligibility there are going to be a lot of transfers of graduate students - a 5th year gives student athletes a free ride for their first year of grad school and most graduate students do not find their grad program at their undergraduate school.

I would also guess that last year saw an extra level of undergraduates based on a pent up desire once the sit-out year disappeared.

Bad coaching, program issues, and coaching changes have always driven transfers, and with the changed rules that can now lead to stampedes to the exits but those situations do not apply to the majority of the D1 programs.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
My goodness, Washington is going to be out of players soon. Jess Finney and Alexis Whitfield latest to enter the portal. Wynn's last class had 5 players. 1 never arrived, the other 4 are all gone now. 2 from the previous class are also gone. They have a class of 3 coming in, Langley is gonna have to add a bunch of players from the portal.

Reaction Score
I think Coach Q at Syracuse wasn’t fazed by the first 8 or 9 transfers last year, still confident he could replace them and then he lost his 6’7” post to S.C. and then his job.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not exactly surprised. Her role appeared to have diminished significantly from Fr. to Soph year.

Not holding my breath, but if Jenkins and Daniels both want to come home, I'd be fine with that. :rolleyes:
Wouldn't Daniels go to USC where the coach that initially recruited is currently located, also within the PAC12?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom