Transfer Portal (2022-2023) | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal (2022-2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wasn't Hebard fairly highly ranked and highly recruited?

According to one article: Hebard said at the beginning she had interest from 80 schools, but ultimately selected the Ducks over Oregon State, Louisville, Washington, Arizona State and North Carolina.

Does a top-40 recruit now qualify as a hidden gem?
There's very WBB recruits that are truly under the radar. If Hoopgurlz doesn't ranked a player, then one of the other major services will usually have them ranked. Hoopgurlz had Rhyne Howard ranked #40 but ASGR had her ranked 8th. ASGR ranked McCowan 15th. In Hebard's case, perhaps the other recruiting services didn't see her play with being from Alaska.

Reaction Score
Kneepkens snuck up on everybody
The SEC FOY, Arkansas’ Samara Spencer, wasn’t ranked by anyone, either. (Or at least none of the services that I keep up with - HG, ASGR, PN, BlueStar.

Izzy Higginbottom and Kiya Dorroh of Mizzou were. They played each other 3 times, and let’s just say that the recruiting service whiff couldn’t have been clearer.

It happens. Recruiting evals are really tough, and you can’t see every kid.

Reaction Score
National FOY and AP 3rd Team All American Aneesah Morrow was not rated either.
This one felt like one of the greatest misses in memory - not because recruiting services are perfect, but because Morrow was so consistently awesome for DePaul. I can’t recall a “bad game” of hers. Maybe Coach Bruno got that out of her once she arrived on campus, but given her motor and productivity, it’s hard to imagine she wasn’t on anybody’s radar unless they truly never saw her play.

Reaction Score
I would actually like to see her at Stanford. I really wanted us to land her the first go round, I’m sure she’s going closer to home though.
Stanford’s admission process is restrictive with freshmen admits. It’s even more restrictive with transfers. The last prominent transfer I can remember, in major sports to Stanford, was for womens volleyball. Even then, I don’t think it would count as a transfer, as she went through the graduate admissions process and didn’t notify Hambly that she was going through the graduate admissions process.

So, Stanford seems like a long shot here

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Boston College, which won 21 games this year, has had four players enter the portal since the regular season ended; the most notable being Makayla Dickens, the 5'8" combo guard who came off the bench to shoot 3's; and, Marnelle Garraud, the starting point guard. Both have one year of eligibility left.

This leads to a few questions in my mind:
  • Are Cameron Schwartz and Taylor Soule, the two clear scoring leaders for BC NOT coming back and the transfers figured, "that's as far as this ship is going?"
  • On the other hand, both Dickens and Garraud could've stepped into the void and had more scoring opportunities, along with frosh center Maria Gakdeng and forward Ally VanTimmerman. Why isn't that a good opportunity?
  • Or, have these four heard that their head coach, Joanna Bernabei-McNamee, may be interested in the open W. Va. HC job?

This could've easily been in the coaching thread, but the number of transfers led me here...Stay tuned.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Whichever school Greta chooses will she have to sit a year, file for a waiver, or since it is her first transfer is it immediate eligibility?
Thinking it's very much the latter: first transfer, immediate eligibility.

OSU has not fared well with two of the highly rated guards to came from "afar" to join OSU and Scott Rueck:
  • Sasha Goforth left to return to Arkansas (season-long starter)
  • Now, Kampschroeder. Will she return to the Midwest? Iowa? Elsewhere?
Goforth and Kampschroeder were thought to be close with OSU leading scorer Talia von Oelhoffen. Now von Oelhoffen is the sole survivor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Boston College, which won 21 games this year, has had four players enter the portal since the regular season ended; the most notable being Makayla Dickens, the 5'8" combo guard who came off the bench to shoot 3's; and, Marnelle Garraud, the starting point guard. Both have one year of eligibility left.

• Are Cameron Schwartz and Taylor Soule, the two clear scoring leaders for BC NOT coming back and the transfers figured, "that's as far as this ship is going?"
  • On the other hand, both Dickens and Garraud could've stepped into the void and had more scoring opportunities, along with frosh center Maria Gakdeng and forward Ally VanTimmerman. Why isn't that a good opportunity?
  • Or, have these four heard that their head coach, Joanna Bernabei-McNamee, may be interested in the open W. Va. HC job?

This could've easily been in the coaching thread, but the number of transfers led me here...Stay tuned.
Just curious since I don't follow the musical chairs coaching scrum that closely. What would be the attraction of the WV job? Are there any recruiting advantages there?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Just curious since I don't follow the musical chairs coaching scrum that closely. What would be the attraction of the WV job? Are there any recruiting advantages there?
Overall attraction? Gosh, Mike Carey was there for so long, it's hard to not associate the team from him.
As for Joanna Bernabei-McNamee, she's from West Virginia, attended high school and college (West Liberty) there and had two separate shifts with Carey at WVU.

Maybe the allure of her home state appeals to her? She's done well at BC, but am pretty sure she's losing her top two (and only double digit) scorers, so maybe the grass might look greener? Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Overall attraction? Gosh, Mike Carey was there for so long, it's hard to not associate the team from him.
As for Joanna Bernabei-McNamee, she's from West Virginia, attended high school and college (West Liberty) there and had two separate shifts with Cary at WVU.

Maybe the allure of her home state appeals to her? She's done well at BC, but am pretty sure she'd losing her top two (and only double digit) scorers, so maybe the grass might look greener? Stay tuned.
I hadn’t checked her background. Now it makes some sense.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

Schwartz is good. If she does enter the portal, she would be a big plus for some team. Is she a freshman?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think people overdo the import of graduate transfers in terms of the school/coach they are leaving, especially for those players who have limited or zero professional aspirations. Transferring for graduate school is a time honored tradition from an academic standpoint and with all 4 year graduates getting an extra year of eligibility for this year and the next two it is going to be much more prevalent than it has ever been before because of the 'covid year.'

Reaction Score
There's very WBB recruits that are truly under the radar. If Hoopgurlz doesn't ranked a player, then one of the other major services will usually have them ranked. Hoopgurlz had Rhyne Howard ranked #40 but ASGR had her ranked 8th. ASGR ranked McCowan 15th. In Hebard's case, perhaps the other recruiting services didn't see her play with being from Alaska.
L’ville missing out on her hurt. LVille missing on Onyenwere was brutal

Reaction Score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom