Transfer Portal (2022-2023) | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal (2022-2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why is the blame being placed immediately on the players for being "princesses" (nevermind the misogyny of that phrasing) and "not living up to their rankings" and not on the coaches for failing to develop them and put them in positions to succeed? :confused:

7 talented players have now left in the past two seasons. You can't tell me that's all on the players.
Talented players averaging less than 4 points a game. Oregon womens basketball has their own Airbnb which they decorated to earn money which seemed more important than basketball at times. Tell me this group spent as many hours in the gym as Sabrina, Ruth and Satou did. True Graves has gotten lazy in game situations. Everyone sees that but Graves and SOME of the players acted entitled at times.

Reaction Score
Why is the blame being placed immediately on the players for being "princesses" (nevermind the misogyny of that phrasing) and "not living up to their rankings" and not on the coaches for failing to develop them and put them in positions to succeed? :confused:

7 talented players have now left in the past two seasons. You can't tell me that's all on the players.

I think there's enough blame to go around for all involved. There are too many factors impacting these moves. Laying the blame solely at the feet of the athletes isn't fair.

The whole "not living up to their rankings" is frustrating to me as I think it's been proven that rankings are subjective and don't mean squat once a player arrives on campus. We've seen too many examples over the years where highly "ranked" players haven't panned out and non-ranked players shine and exceed expectations.

Look at Naz Hillmon was able to accomplish at Michigan, which wasn't anywhere close to an elite program before she got there. Or look at Bridget Carleton who wasn't ranked coming out of Canada and has been playing in the WNBA for several years, where others who were ranked in that class never cracked a roster.

The problem/challenge is getting athletes and families to be more realistic about where their kid can/should play. Playing to a top program is a dream for many as it should be. I just wish families would look more at the overall picture versus just playing for a top tier program. It has to start from the AAU and HS levels, in addition to NCAA coaches in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Talented players averaging less than 4 points a game. Oregon womens basketball has their own Airbnb which they decorated to earn money which seemed more important than basketball at times. Tell me this group spent as many hours in the gym as Sabrina, Ruth and Satou did. True Graves has gotten lazy in game situations. Everyone sees that but Graves and SOME of the players acted entitled at times.

Really?????:eek:

Reaction Score
Now we're comparing players playing different positions at different schools under different coaching staffs and different styles of play? SMH
Does the same apply in the world of softball? Sorry off topic

Reaction Score
Now we're comparing players playing different positions at different schools under different coaching staffs and different styles of play? SMH

No, we are comparing how as top recruits (no matter what school or sport you choose) you are typically expected to perform up to your ranking and have some sort of impact early. Rankings can absolutely be flawed and wrong but that still doesn’t negate what coaches and fans hope for. Parrish was ranked top 10 in a class that featured Brink, Bueckers, Clark, and Van Lith. Watson was ranked top 20. In a class like that, whether it’s fair or not, a lot is going to be expected out of you from day 1. It sucks, but that’s just the nature of the beast.

The expectations for Paige were going to be different from Edwards simply because Paige had the #1 by her name. The expectations for Azzi and probably Ducharme were probably different from DeBerry simply because those two had #1 and #5 by their names, even though all 3 were McDonald’s AAs. Whether it’s fair or not, we can debate it until our faces turn blue. But, that’s just the reality of what comes AA nods and rankings.

It’s not like some of those players in this class didn’t have opportunities. Watson is probably the exception, but she was already playing behind several other posts from the moment she committed there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think there's enough blame to go around for all involved. There are too many factors impacting these moves. Laying the blame solely at the feet of the athletes isn't fair.

The whole "not living up to their rankings" is frustrating to me as I think it's been proven that rankings are subjective and don't mean squat once a player arrives on campus. We've seen too many examples over the years where highly "ranked" players haven't panned out and non-ranked players shine and exceed expectations.

Look at Naz Hillmon was able to accomplish at Michigan, which wasn't anywhere close to an elite program before she got there. Or look at Bridget Carleton who wasn't ranked coming out of Canada and has been playing in the WNBA for several years, where others who were ranked in that class never cracked a roster.

The problem/challenge is getting athletes and families to be more realistic about where their kid can/should play. Playing to a top program is a dream for many as it should be. I just wish families would look more at the overall picture versus just playing for a top tier program. It has to start from the AAU and HS levels, in addition to NCAA coaches in my opinion.
Can anyone answer this. Is a five star out of California better than a five star or Gatorade POY out of let’s say hypothetically out of Wyoming. New Jersey or South Dakota? Seems that California and Texas high schools players are just better. Is it just because those are large states or the systems they have in place at a younger age? I don’t know.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Can anyone answer this. Is a five star out of California better than a five star or Gatorade POY out of let’s say hypothetically out of Wyoming. New Jersey or South Dakota? Seems that California and Texas high schools players are just better. Is it just because those are large states or the systems they have in place at a younger age? I don’t know.
Sorry, I can't from a US perspective. In Canada it's been assumed the best players come from Ontario or Quebec because of population and a larger urban demographic. That's starting to change with more players coming out of Alberta and British Columbia with some programs.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well, lets just check the last few classes: Paige out of MN, Azzi out of MD, Boston out of MA ...
Almost all the high school stars compete in traveling AAU squads, attend trials and represent USA basketball in age restricted teams - they aren't in little state bubbles in HS.

The advantage states like CA and TX have is 1) Population, so the pool of players is higher, and 2) Multiple outstanding HS teams teams so the HS competition tends to be better at developing talent.

Reaction Score
Well, lets just check the last few classes: Paige out of MN, Azzi out of MD, Boston out of MA ...
Almost all the high school stars compete in traveling AAU squads, attend trials and represent USA basketball in age restricted teams - they aren't in little state bubbles in HS.

The advantage states like CA and TX have is 1) Population, so the pool of players is higher, and 2) Multiple outstanding HS teams teams so the HS competition tends to be better at developing talent.
Azzi is actually from Fairfax, Viginia. She went to school in DC.

Reaction Score
Actual the best answer to the whole star rating was someone many of us are familiar with. Ruth Hebard was a hell of a find coming out of Alaska. Love those players that turn out to be hidden gems. Every school has a story like that.
Wasn't Hebard fairly highly ranked and highly recruited?

According to one article: Hebard said at the beginning she had interest from 80 schools, but ultimately selected the Ducks over Oregon State, Louisville, Washington, Arizona State and North Carolina.

Does a top-40 recruit now qualify as a hidden gem?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wasn't Hebard fairly highly ranked and highly recruited?

According to one article: Hebard said at the beginning she had interest from 80 schools, but ultimately selected the Ducks over Oregon State, Louisville, Washington, Arizona State and North Carolina.

Does a top-40 recruit now qualify as a hidden gem?
Hidden gem might not be the best terminology, but considering she wound up being arguably the 3rd best player in her class after Ionescu/Cox, she massively outperformed expectations. Similar to players like Nina Davis, Teaira McCowan, Rhyne Howard, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gabby Gregory out of Oklahoma is in the portal. Was the team's leading scorer as a freshman, missed preseason due to injury, and only got a fraction of her minutes back once she was healthy.

Reaction Score
Sabrina’s dad, Dan Ionescu tweeted this:

Oregon is not for everybody. I don’t tweet that often but this time I want to share my point of view on all the transfers. If you have a sense of entitlement just because you had some accolades in HS, Oregon is not for you.

(I can also imagine Sabrina saying the same thing.)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Oregon is not for everybody. I don’t tweet that often but this time I want to share my point of view on all the transfers. If you have a sense of entitlement just because you had some accolades in HS, Oregon is not for you.

Clearing house might be for the best with Graves. The team had talent to be an Elite 8 squad but just didn't have chemistry. He's proven over the last decade that he's a heck of a coach.

Reaction Score
so so happy to see Scherr be freed from a terrible hc, her boyfriend transferred to FSU so I saw this coming. Wouldn't be surprised if she heads there. Parrish another solid player will have options.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Is there any place that would say they are the place for players with a sense of entitlement?

Generic meaningless tweet meant to bad mouth the transfers while being just vague enough to maintain plausible deniability.

I wish people bashing players that transfer would say it with their chest or not at all.

Reaction Score
Pac12 FOY Kneepkens was not rated on HG, nor was Curry for Cal or Wetta for Colorado. Only players on the first team who were rated were Marshall USC (27) and Johnson Utah (42)
Kneepkens snuck up on everybody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown