Trace Young | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Trace Young

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If the coaching staff feels like he's someone that can fit well with what they are trying to do, then I'm all for it. It always amazes me that people can watch 30 seconds of film and are able to simply give a "no". Chances are that if they watched the exact same 30 seconds of film but the kid was ranked #88, they would be like, "We need to get this done or else Ollie can't close!"

This board is so over the top...

Reaction Score
The first video is about Quinerly and I wanted to highlight Trace's defensive potential that he shows at 4:20 against Luther a top 60 player in his class.

Click on the second link Team Thad 17U to see the other things I posted. He is an upgrade over Sid Wilson.
The 5'8" Tyler Harris looked more impressive in those videos. Trace looks like he has a good stroke but he doesn't seem to involved in the offense.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I would love to have this kid commit to UConn. He has lots of athleticism and looks to have a high basketball IQ as well. He's got plenty of schools looking at him though so may not be so easy to even get a visit.

pj

Reaction Score
The 5'8" Tyler Harris looked more impressive in those videos. Trace looks like he has a good stroke but he doesn't seem to involved in the offense.

He seemed reluctant to shoot, passed up open shots. It's hard to tell how accurate a shooter he is from a highlight tape. But, he's from Hartford, so we gotta like him.

I'm guessing there isn't a lot of competition in his part of Kentucky so he's probably raw, and somebody else said he was young for his class. He's athletic, he has potential. Might be a good late get.

Reaction Score
If the coaching staff feels like he's someone that can fit well with what they are trying to do, then I'm all for it. It always amazes me that people can watch 30 seconds of film and are able to simply give a "no". Chances are that if they watched the exact same 30 seconds of film but the kid was ranked #88, they would be like, "We need to get this done or else Ollie can't close!"

This board is so over the top...
A lot of people on this board and in general place WAY too much emphasis and 247/ESPN/Rivals rankings. Every year plenty of guys listed 200+ go on to have great college careers.

Reaction Score
Recent article from 247 on Trace: Class of 2017 forward Trace Young still weighing his options

Young is ranked 285th in the nation and 55th at the Small Forward position in the 247Sports Composite Rankings. Alabama, Auburn, FGCU, Kansas State, Louisville, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech, Xavier and West Virginia showed interest before the summer. There is no rush to make a decision, and it's paid off as Illinois State, Indiana State, Memphis, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech and UConn have shown varying amounts of interest in the springy forward.

Long arms, massive hands, big strides and the ability to jump out of the gym make the lefty a great prospect. His basketball I.Q. and potential to alter the game on defense at either forward spot take him to the next level. A combination of size and speed will make a Swiss Army knife at the next level.

"Man, fan base," Young said after being asked what's most important in his potential schools. "I want a great fan base. Somewhere with that real college feel. I want that real college basketball experience."

Reaction Score
He seemed reluctant to shoot, passed up open shots. It's hard to tell how accurate a shooter he is from a highlight tape. But, he's from Hartford, so we gotta like him.

I'm guessing there isn't a lot of competition in his part of Kentucky so he's probably raw, and somebody else said he was young for his class. He's athletic, he has potential. Might be a good late get.
He played at Huntington Prep for a while so he's played against top competition in the past

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I mean we could certainly use another player. If Waters isn't coming here, we should grab somebody. Then we should be okay for this year and have some scholarships to play with for next year.
We should grab this kid even if Waters is coming. They don't play the same position.

Reaction Score
We should grab this kid even if Waters is coming. They don't play the same position.

How do we say we should just grab a kid? We haven't swooped in a grabbed a kid in a long time. We need to do some real work. Put in the time with '18, '19 class. Obviously we are not in sync with what is truely driving these kids decisions.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
How do we say we should just grab a kid? We haven't swooped in a grabbed a kid in a long time. We need to do some real work. Put in the time with '18, '19 class. Obviously we are not in sync with what is truely driving these kids decisions.
We swooped and grabbed Vital last year, and Whaley last month.

It's not exactly our strong suit, but we've managed it in the not-very-distant past. Hopefully it'll happen again here.

Reaction Score
We swooped and grabbed Vital last year, and Whaley last month.

It's not exactly our strong suit, but we've managed it in the not-very-distant past. Hopefully it'll happen again here.

True,

Can only hope it works out for us. But i'm concerned for '19 when and if Adams and TL leave will we have ready talent available to step in.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
True,

Can only hope it works out for us. But i'm concerned for '19 when and if Adams and TL leave will we have ready talent available to step in.
I am as well. The nice thing about getting Waters & Wilson (if we'd gotten them) is that it would've made the 2018 class less of an existential crisis-level recruitment. No chance of that now.

Reaction Score
I am as well. The nice thing about getting Waters & Wilson (if we'd gotten them) is that it would've made the 2018 class less of an existential crisis-level recruitment. No chance of that now.
If next year goes as well as the optimistic posters believe it will, that means Adams and Larrier will likely be gone to the NBA, leaving us in a terrible position for the next year. Now, it would be a nice problem to have, but we'd be in a really bad spot.

Reaction Score

Yep, the '18 class might have to play big minutes right away. Chill snd Kill will nees to deliver 2 and done talent. Lol.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
If next year goes as well as the optimistic posters believe it will, that means Adams and Larrier will likely be gone to the NBA, leaving us in a terrible position for the next year. Now, it would be a nice problem to have, but we'd be in a really bad spot.
We'd still have a veteran starting backcourt (Alterique & Vital), and – by definition since this coming year will have gone well – at least one big man who will be a proven rebounder/defender.

That's a good, defined core.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I honestly can care less who else is recruiting him. He clearly has talent, size, and athleticism. You cant complaim we dont have enough bodies then turn around and turn away talented D1 players. We have 3 schollies. Worst case scenerio he'll be a solid 4 yr rotation player

How many guys you never heard of onteams we should kill ruin us all the time?

Reaction Score
This kid a 17 coming off the bench for a team of 18s. Saying he's better than Wilson is totally unfair.

It's my opinion that he is a better player and prospect than Wilson. He has a stronger body/frame, just as good if not a better overall athlete. Sidney is an awkward athlete in the way he moves whereas Young is a smooth player who fits better in the team concept. He also displays good IQ on the court and has a good looking shot from the perimeter with a quick release.

Young has positive body language as well who will have no problem doing the defensive dirty work and rebounding for the team. He is a smooth player and you can never have enough players with that type of game. Sid would have been a nice get to solidify future recruiting especially at Brewster and in New England, but he isn't a cant miss prospect.

Look at the difference yourself.

Sid Wilson SHOWS OUT in return to NYC!! Highlights vs. CBC!

Reaction Score
A lot of people on this board and in general place WAY too much emphasis and 247/ESPN/Rivals rankings. Every year plenty of guys listed 200+ go on to have great college careers.
That is definitely true. But many, many more kids in the top 50 have very good college careers than kids in the 200-250 range. So the odds of getting a very good player in the 200-250 range is lower. So I guess you have to trust your coaching staff's ability to evaluate and development to take the right lower ranked kids.

pj

Reaction Score
It's my opinion that he is a better player and prospect than Wilson. He has a stronger body/frame, just as good if not a better overall athlete. Sidney is an awkward athlete in the way he moves whereas Young is a smooth player who fits better in the team concept. He also displays good IQ on the court and has a good looking shot from the perimeter with a quick release.

Young has positive body language as well who will have no problem doing the defensive dirty work and rebounding for the team. He is a smooth player and you can never have enough players with that type of game. Sid would have been a nice get to solidify future recruiting especially at Brewster and in New England, but he isn't a cant miss prospect.

Look at the difference yourself.

Sid Wilson SHOWS OUT in return to NYC!! Highlights vs. CBC!

I can't tell who's better from these highlights but I'd love to believe that you're right. If so, let's reel in Trace Young!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That is definitely true. But many, many more kids in the top 50 have very good college careers than kids in the 200-250 range. So the odds of getting a very good player in the 200-250 range is lower. So I guess you have to trust your coaching staff's ability to evaluate and development to take the right lower ranked kids.

Which is what I loved about JC and his staff. Hard to replicate though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom