tOSU Postgame Thread [merged thread] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

tOSU Postgame Thread [merged thread]

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Was there any discussion regarding the Ohio state player that transferred from OK state without sitting a year, a little salt in the wound?
No one knows exactly why Braxtin Miller’s waiver was granted other than the fact that she’s closer to home at tOSU. But that should only matter if it was tied to a hardship waiver.

Reaction Score
Watch how her feet are set when she shoots - she's not square to the basket which is making her lean in. You can call it long when she lets it go. When she makes a shot she is squared up and more vertical. It really looks like she is pressing. The bigger issue was with her passes, not very crisp and a little casual. I'm sure Geno did not like that
Why not bring in a recuperating Lou to work with Anna on three point shot?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Lou struggled her freshman year hitting her three pointers. That is the job of the coaching staff, imo.

Reaction Score
I live an hour from the Ohio State campus and was lucky to get to the game. Here is what I saw:

--UConn travels well. Even to Ohio. It was weird seeing 75 fans behind the UConn bench standing until the Huskies scored.

--I don't know how obvious it was on TV, but every time UConn drove to the basket in the first half, they were fouled, sometimes hard, with no call. I found it interesting that there was not a word from Geno to the refs. They deserved to hear him complain.

--Crystal gave a 40 minute demonstration on what All-American point guard play looks like. The pass she got from Kyla coming out of the timeout at the end of the game was just one of several impressive plays. What other 5'5 point guard jumps up and intercepts an in-bounds pass?

--Speaking of Kyla, other than the sloppy entry pass near the end of the game, she showed that she belonged out there during a close game. She was guarding Kiersten Bell a lot and seemed to do OK. Both charges she took were impactful.

--As well as, overall, Megan has played, she still does three or four head scratching things a game. Today was no exception.

--Anna joins a long list of freshmen that spent the second half of a game on the bench for apparent bad play. The only extended emotion I saw from Geno was with Anna. What was on her arms? Was it discussed and I missed it?

-- Ohio State subbed freely trying to stay fresh. They still got tired at the end. UConn conditioning is not normal.

--I kept thinking about how Geno wants to restrict Crystal's minutes. Maybe Tuesday against a less talented Dayton team.

--I don't know what the announced attendance was. Looked to be about 7,000. It will probably be their biggest turnout of the year.

--You don't appreciate UConn's composure until you can compare live with another team's. Many here, of course, are used to it. It is still impressive to see in this day and age.

--The turnover against the press was CW's fault. She did not move to the pass. OSU went right through her to steal it.

--I saw about four possessions of a UConn zone. A passive zone. I kept thinking it was a matchup. It was not. They did not look comfortable in it. I think a zone would be helpful second look but not the zone I saw today.

Irwin took two critically important charges, made a timely assist for a layup by Williams, and then made that three. She did far more to win the game than came up in the standard stats.

Reaction Score
Lou struggled her freshman year hitting her three pointers. That is the job of the coaching staff, imo.
You know as I do --the Uconn staff are working with Ania, Evelyn, Griffin full time. Ania is introspective she is searching her soul--WHY??? Why?
5 or 6 games in away from Poland, the language isn't comfortable, the game is slightly different, new teammates, new coaching staff and a VERY demanding head coach. CONFIDENCE. and second guessing yourself tend to lead to some un-natural things. The 3 ball shot , once accurate now fails--too short then too long but most on target. Defense learned at home is not the defense now wanted.
My point is---IF I WERE ANIA I'D SAY---GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

Reaction Score
Thank you for that Bellemare!
AMEN! She will shine as well as Aubrey,
give them time! Some in this forum forget their still teenagers.....I personally look forward to seeing them both play every game!!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Was there any discussion regarding the Ohio state player that transferred from OK state without sitting a year, a little salt in the wound?
I said before, I'd like to see the stats on players that transfer to schools in the middle and western part of the country as opposed to those who transfer to colleges on the coasts.

Reaction Score
My take on the game and the team in general is that this year's UConn team is a lot like this year's New England Patriots. The talent level may not be where it has been in the past, but there still are very good players on both teams and they are going to win a lot of games. There are going to be more grind out, ugly wins than easy ones. Teams that are young and/or have not played together long often play to the level of the competition. Instead of having win margins of 30+, most are going to be in the 10-20 range.

I expect UConn to lose 4 games this season. Baylor, Oregon, one they shouldn't and one in the tournament. I think they start the 20-21 season as the preseason #1.

Don't forget. You only have to win 6 games in a row to be National Champions and with the the first 2 or 3 being gimmies, it is possible with a talent laden team.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
You know as I do --the Uconn staff are working with Ania, Evelyn, Griffin full time. Ania is introspective she is searching her soul--WHY??? Why?
5 or 6 games in away from Poland, the language isn't comfortable, the game is slightly different, new teammates, new coaching staff and a VERY demanding head coach. CONFIDENCE. and second guessing yourself tend to lead to some un-natural things. The 3 ball shot , once accurate now fails--too short then too long but most on target. Defense learned at home is not the defense now wanted.
My point is---IF I WERE ANIA I'D SAY---GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
She can say safely say that to the BY but, not to Geno. :p

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not to mention that no one boxes out better than Kyla.If you had a couple more people boxing out like she does there would be no offensive rebounds.
Seriously? That’s what you believe? No, just no. Kyla has shown significant improvement to spell our starters and I am happy for her but stop with “best” or “better than” phrases as they simply are not true. If they were, she would be a starter or do you see something Geno and CD are missing?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I said before, I'd like to see the stats on players that transfer to schools in the middle and western part of the country as opposed to those who transfer to colleges on the coasts.
I once asked to see the stats on players transferring in to the "big time" (money makers) P5 conference teams, such as OSU, ND, SC, etc.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if the ball used by NCAA women is a different circumference than the ball Anna is used to?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Seriously? That’s what you believe? No, just no. Kyla has shown significant improvement to spell our starters and I am happy for her but stop with “best” or “better than” phrases as they simply are not true. If they were, she would be a starter or do you see something Geno and CD are missing?
I interpreted this as 'kyla needs to blockout better because she is athletically limited' while our otber athletically gifted players are less diligent and rely on outjumping their opponents

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score

Yes seriously - You should rewatch the games - UCONN has real problems giving up offensive rebounds because no one is blocking out. Why do you have a problem with Kyla being good at blocking out? While I'm at it, she's best at timing those passes on the backdoor plays, and best high fives. :rolleyes:

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
She can be the best at blocking out but lacking in other areas and that prevents her from starting. Who blocks out better than Kyla?

Reaction Score
Here’s the scoop southofnorth. A stress fracture (sometimes referred to as a hairline fracture) is a specific type of fracture. Otherwise, as others have stated a fracture and a break are the same. You might tell your friends you have a broken wrist but your official report is going to state there is a fracture of the radius (or one of the other bones of the wrist). Let’s just say it’s time to give this a break;)
Would sure be strange to call a partial fracture of any bone a break when referring to it though. Again, always good to clarify because, like I said, although they are the interchangeable, the words themselves mean very different things when used outside of a medical chart.

Reaction Score

I hear people say this from time to time, but I don't really remember it so I went back and checked. Lou's 3pt % in her freshman year is .394. I hardly call that struggling. Most players wish they can struggle like that.

Reaction Score
I hear people say this from time to time, but I don't really remember it so I went back and checked. Lou's 3pt % in her freshman year is .394. I hardly call that struggling. Most players wish they can struggle like that.

do not let facts get in the way of a good argument

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

It was a tale of two seasons for KLS as a freshman. She was terrific the last 13 games shooting better than 50% from three, but about 30% prior.

Reaction Score
It was a tale of two seasons for KLS as a freshman. She was terrific the last 13 games shooting better than 50% from three, but about 30% prior.

I bet some of the freshmen wish they are struggling like that (30% 3pt). 30% seems average, equivalent to 45% normal FG%, which is not bad. I would not call that struggling either.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I bet some of the freshmen wish they are struggling like that (30% 3pt). 30% seems average, equivalent to 45% normal FG%, which is not bad. I would not call that struggling either.

Struggling for her, anyway. Elite shooters would not be happy with 30%.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom