tOSU Postgame Thread [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

tOSU Postgame Thread [merged thread]

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and Braxtin Miller really screwed the pooch short arming alot of shots. We easily could have lost but tOSU did not handle the 4Q well and it really was not our defense which I think took quite a step back this game.

Reaction Score
Andy Landers made a good point about ONO. She’s not really a hardcore, back-to-the-basket kind of post. She’s more of a face up player. Other players in UConn’s history have had similar issues coming in, but eventually realized their potential down low. I’m hoping ONO can follow suit. Tough to hear she has a fracture in her foot. I said she looked like she wasn’t moving/pursuing the ball to get a rebound and wasn’t playing good help side defense. With a fracture in her toe, that all makes sense and I wish her a quick and painless recovery. I’ll lay off for a while on her play.

The offense was choppy and there’s definitely going to be some instances where one-on-one play will take over. Hopefully that’s not too often.

That 5th player on the floor is going to be an issue for longer than we all might’ve thought after the Temple game. I’ll be hoping this team can bring it together in the games that matter most in March/April.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If it "limits her mobility," I would give her some time off. I would like to see her at full strength for the 2nd half of the season.
I've had a few fractured toes in my life. Basically, you ice them, buddy tape them and they eventually heel. Outside of giving Liv a lighter load during practice, there's no need to keep her out of games.

Reaction Score
If it "limits her mobility," I would give her some time off. I would like to see her at full strength for the 2nd half of the season.
After all we know that KLS ended up needing surgery after the season and couldn’t play to her fullest after her ankle injury two years ago. I’d had to have the same happen for ONO or for her injury to get worse because she played.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Personally, I prefer her missing long rather than off line which to me would be evidence of nerves. Anna also had a good early drive that rimmed out. So tough shooting luck but unlike the last game, she really did not compensate doing other stuff. Freshmanitis
Leaning forward on every shot is also a sign of nerves, or rather in this case, over excitement. It ends uo being the same.

Reaction Score
I've had a few fractured toes in my life. Basically, you ice them, buddy tape them and they eventually heel. Outside of giving Liv a lighter load during practice, there's no need to keep her out of games.
Fractures can lead to breaks, especially in high impact activities like basketball. No need to tempt fate

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
OSU played good defense, and that made it a game. They have some big players. Huskies had difficulties penetrating, and OSU seemed to be better 3 pt shooters, but in fact Huskies 8 of 21 to OSU 9 of 30 (38% to 30%). Also, my theory is that if the previous game was a blowout, the subsequent game will often be a grinder. Almost tempted to subscribe to ESPNplus to see if the Dayton game is a blowout.
CD got UConn through the grinder; made some big shots.
CW was more up and down with the layups than usual, but she made some that were astonishing to me, and she was playing against some big players defending the basket. She carried the team through a good part of the first half, it seemed. I said in Chat that she played like OSU was Notre Dame.
Walker consistent in scoring, but I don't recall anything that really stood out. But she was core, no doubt.
ONO, as noted, was playing injured, so props for that. I don't know how it affected her failed bunnies, but today scoring was mostly the core three, not the core four.
Ana Mak sitting the entire 2nd half, and no scores in the first. Getting the Brianna Stewart treatment? Weak on the assists this time around, and continued to have problems with handles. Lost ball control that led to one bucket and one missed bunny.
I don't think Kyla matched up too well with OSU bigs, so that might be why she didn't get as much playing time, even when Ana was on the bench. But she did allow ONO to get some relief.
Did Aubrey make a difference in the team's "energy?" I'm not good at noticing such things.
Rather ticked that Braxtin Miller was able to get the transfer waiver and Evina Westbrook did not.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Fractures can lead to breaks, especially in high impact activities like basketball. No need to tempt fate
If it were an ankle, wrist or some other joint, I would agree with you. Athletes will typically play with fractured/broken toes because they can't injure themselves further. It simply comes down to playing with pain.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the tOSU game:
  • We will certainly take the win, but there are a lot of things to work on. This team is still, very much, a work in progress.
  • Every Husky basket seems hard. Too many missed layups and not enough easy transition baskets.
  • The freshmen played like freshmen sometimes do, 2 steps forward, one step back.
  • Crystal made several big 3’s from the cheap seats along with a couple much needed 2’s. I’m not crazy about her playing 40 minutes a game, but right now, I’m not sure I want her on the bench in a tight game.
  • Still not exactly sure who our fifth starter is…..:confused:
1. A win is a win is a win.
2. Work in Progress but nice work from Irwin, Ono, Ania, Griffin---Hell no you may say. Irwin is playing better as a Senior than she had the 3 previous years. Ono, yes fractured toe, made mistakes, Ania and Griffin too along with the Senior Irwin. Fast hands and physical play by Ohio caused too many turnovers--that will be corrected or people will sit.
3. Freshmen are Freshmen--Geno's Frosh are not much different than Ohio Frosh, except Ohio's score.
4. Crystal was the heart and soul of this game this team. If she sit?? Geno and we have no clue what to expect.
5. Based on Geno's exiting comment I'd bet on Griffin--Ania /Irwin 6th. Freshmen need the training and experience--Kyla had her turn but right now she is at times needed for being experienced and a 3 maybe
6 I'm not unhappy with this game--it could have been better --but it was headed to being worse--the team worked as a team to win. Nothing wrong with that!!

Reaction Score
If it were an ankle, wrist or some other joint, I would agree with you. Athletes will typically play with fractured/broken toes because they can't injure themselves further. It simply comes down to playing with pain.
And courage plus fortitude/determination. Kudo to Olivia and many thanks.

Reaction Score
Andy Landers made a good point about ONO. She’s not really a hardcore, back-to-the-basket kind of post. She’s more of a face up player. Other players in UConn’s history have had similar issues coming in, but eventually realized their potential down low. I’m hoping ONO can follow suit. Tough to hear she has a fracture in her foot. I said she looked like she wasn’t moving/pursuing the ball to get a rebound and wasn’t playing good help side defense. With a fracture in her toe, that all makes sense and I wish her a quick and painless recovery. I’ll lay off for a while on her play.

The offense was choppy and there’s definitely going to be some instances where one-on-one play will take over. Hopefully that’s not too often.

That 5th player on the floor is going to be an issue for longer than we all might’ve thought after the Temple game. I’ll be hoping this team can bring it together in the games that matter most in March/April.
Olivia played a great game for a fractured toe. Uconn after a fashion covered her well.
Sometimes the OFFENSE is dictated by the Defense played against you--Ohio was fouling and bumping, and double teaming except Olivia they Quadrupled teamed her all the time fouling her and bumping,pulling, pushing. The Fifth STARTER--is yet to be determined--Yes, I agree but the field of those who may fill that position is limited. Right now I only see 4 possibilities with 2 possible 3 getting the nod. Ania, Griffin, Irwin and I believe it will come back to 2, Ania/Griffin. Unless Aubrey screws up --it appears she is 5 and Ania is 6.
Unless the others develop immediately.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The last I heard: Geno put in an order for 5 bigs from Sears Catalog and they are being shipped by USPS--don't hold your breath. I asked Geno why he still had a Sears Catalog and he suggested it's many uses.
Broadway, you’re dating yourself. Nobody shops in the Sears Catalog anymore. Geno probably had one of his younger assistants place his order online on Amazon. ;)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I've complained consistently about Ania's shot, and I'm going to repeat. She misses her 3's long. Not occasionally, not a few, but every one. There are two reasons for that. Either she's over jumping or she's leaning forward, and she ain't over jumping. Now, this is a fixable problem. She just needs to relax and concentrate on jumping more vertically on her shots. When that happens the problems with UConn's 5th scorer is solved.
I think it must be a conversion issue. You know, metric system versus English system, How many feet? How many meters? When she gets the rapid calculator working, she will be just right! ;)

Reaction Score
After all we know that KLS ended up needing surgery after the season and couldn’t play to her fullest after her ankle injury two years ago. I’d had to have the same happen for ONO or for her injury to get worse because she played.

You are comparing apples to oranges. An joint injury like the ankle that involves ligaments and tendons is entirely different than a fractured toe.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
The last I heard: Geno put in an order for 5 bigs from Sears Catalog and they are being shipped by USPS--don't hold your breath. I asked Geno why he still had a Sears Catalog and he suggested it's many uses.
Broadway, you’re dating yourself. Nobody shops in the Sears Catalog anymore. Geno probably had one of his younger assistants place his order online on Amazon. ;)

Geno had been using the Sears Catalog the past few years to order bigs. When the last one was delivered to Columbia and the USPS said there was nothing they could do, Geno realized it was time to move on to Amazon.

This fall, he'll get the kind of shipment your wife gets when she empties the Amazon wishlist, with zero inhibitions, after a full bottle of wine. But he's still waiting on the refurbished Fudd...

Reaction Score
I keep a stash of them in my little building ---just for reading of course. But I saw an ad for a great point guard--Oops, forget it --no waiver with this one. ---can you tear a page out of Amazon when needed??

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
That must be a Freudian slip, @oldude. Speaking of toes and feet, they eventually "heel" is more than I could have hoped for today.

Reaction Score
UConn actually played fairly well, shot well. And beat a mediocre team by barely double digits. I'm afraid this is what to expect the whole year. The downside (e.g., an injury to one of the key 4 players) is greater than the upside (individuals playing much better than they are now). There is just a lack of talent and depth to seriously compete for a Title, imo. Easily the worst UConn team since the 2005 & 2006 seasons (and maybe this century). But, because UConn plays in a very weak conference, I still think they can win a bunch of games and get a 2-seed. But, they'll need a lot of luck to get into another Final 4.

Reaction Score
Ouch! In so many ways. How many layups did this team miss today?

I am as big a UConn fan as anyone. But this has to be the weakest UConn team I can remember seeing.

Five mostly slim wins against five mediocre, unranked teams.

Never seen so much standing around by a UConn team. And each player appears to be looking to the other players to make the big shot, make the big play.

ONO, as the former Georgia coach stated, just doesn't give UConn strength inside.

The team has struggled against the portion of the schedule against which it was supposed to have breezed.

And the one big on the team has a broken toe?

Ouch. In so many ways.
Take the wins Uconn fans. You will be fine and in form soon. Btw, Oregon puked on themselves badly the first quarter against Syracuse. Thank goodness for Boley from the outside. Sabrina finishes with 19. Headed from New York now to the Virgin Island tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom