tOSU Postgame Thread [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

tOSU Postgame Thread [merged thread]

Reaction Score
Very disappointed in UConn’s play over the first 5 games. Is Maracat ever going to make a shot? Seems like she’s also slow a foot. I’d rather play Aubrey and let her get some experience. Irwin comes in the game and makes a 3, then on the next play throws the ball away and OSU scores a 3. Her best game (13 ppt’s.) came against Virginia, a very weak team. What ever happened to Molly Bent? Dangerfield, Williams, and Walker can’t all play 35-40 minutes a night. If they do it will definitely take a toll on their bodies. This is no top four or projected final four rated team. The way they have played this month, I wouldn’t rate them in the top ten. We are going to take our lumps this season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OSU played good defense, and that made it a game. They have some big players. Huskies had difficulties penetrating, and OSU seemed to be better 3 pt shooters, but in fact Huskies 8 of 21 to OSU 9 of 30 (38% to 30%). Also, my theory is that if the previous game was a blowout, the subsequent game will often be a grinder. Almost tempted to subscribe to ESPNplus to see if the Dayton game is a blowout.
CD got UConn through the grinder; made some big shots.
CW was more up and down with the layups than usual, but she made some that were astonishing to me, and she was playing against some big players defending the basket. She carried the team through a good part of the first half, it seemed. I said in Chat that she played like OSU was Notre Dame.
Walker consistent in scoring, but I don't recall anything that really stood out. But she was core, no doubt.
ONO, as noted, was playing injured, so props for that. I don't know how it affected her failed bunnies, but today scoring was mostly the core three, not the core four.
Ana Mak sitting the entire 2nd half, and no scores in the first. Getting the Brianna Stewart treatment? Weak on the assists this time around, and continued to have problems with handles. Lost ball control that led to one bucket and one missed bunny.
I don't think Kyla matched up too well with OSU bigs, so that might be why she didn't get as much playing time, even when Ana was on the bench. But she did allow ONO to get some relief.
Did Aubrey make a difference in the team's "energy?" I'm not good at noticing such things.
Rather ticked that Braxton Miller was able to get the transfer waiver and Evina Westbrook did not.
It's Braxtin Miller. Braxton Miller was a football player for tOSU and I don't know if they a are related. One factor in Miller's appeal is she was moving back to her home state of Ohio.

Reaction Score
UConn actually played fairly well, shot well. And beat a mediocre team by barely double digits. I'm afraid this is what to expect the whole year. The downside (e.g., an injury to one of the key 4 players) is greater than the upside (individuals playing much better than they are now). There is just a lack of talent and depth to seriously compete for a Title, imo. Easily the worst UConn team since the 2005 & 2006 seasons (and maybe this century). But, because UConn plays in a very weak conference, I still think they can win a bunch of games and get a 2-seed. But, they'll need a lot of luck to get into another Final 4.
It’s a lack of bench not starting talent. Dangerfield was the one of the highest if not the highest rated guards coming out of high school. Williams and Walker were both number ones the last 2 years and I believe ONO was a number 5 recruit and a one or two at her position. Irwin and Bent simply have not developed their game to be a force over the past 3 years. Camara has been injured her two years at UConn. There isn’t much left.
I watched some of South Carolina’s game today. What a monster Boston has turned out to be. What could have been!

Reaction Score
Irwin comes in the game and makes a 3, then on the next play throws the ball away and OSU scores a 3.
What are you talking about?
Watch post# 32 above the highlights of the game. At 4'08" remaining of 4Q, Kyla scored a big three. Then OSU made a layup of 2 in next play. Where is her "throws the ball away and OSU scores a 3" in the next play?

Reaction Score
It's Braxtin Miller. Braxton Miller was a football player for tOSU and I don't know if they a are related. One factor in Miller's appeal is she was moving back to her home state of Ohio.
This seems like a rather arbitrary factor...unless of course it's a return to home state to take care of aging parent/grandparent, etc. It's another example of why the NCAA has to come up with clear criteria, and/or everyone YES...OR...everyone NO.... Random :eek::eek:

Reaction Score
Leaning forward on every shot is also a sign of nerves, or rather in this case, over excitement. It ends uo being the same.
Obviously, you are correct in your evaluation. Ania, too (like Aubrey) is trying too hard due to the excitement of getting to play for UConn. When Ania is relaxed after making her layup a game or 2 ago she scored early and often. I admit: I'm a big time fan of both Ania and Aubrey.

Reaction Score
Personally, I prefer her missing long rather than off line which to me would be evidence of nerves. Anna also had a good early drive that rimmed out. So tough shooting luck but unlike the last game, she really did not compensate doing other stuff. Freshmanitis

As a golfer knows, stress shows up in the hands. Several Huskies were having a hard time holding onto the ball. Lots of loose balls that they couldn't seem to get a firm hold of.

Reaction Score
It’s a lack of bench not starting talent. Dangerfield was the one of the highest if not the highest rated guards coming out of high school. Williams and Walker were both number ones the last 2 years and I believe ONO was a number 5 recruit and a one or two at her position. Irwin and Bent simply have not developed their game to be a force over the past 3 years. Camara has been injured her two years at UConn. There isn’t much left.
I watched some of South Carolina’s game today. What a monster Boston has turned out to be. What could have been!

Sounds like you should switch team to root for.

Reaction Score
Just a couple of random thoughts after watching the OSU game.
`1. Put a long and tall team up against UConn and watch our favorite team have fits. Yes, they eventually worked their way through it, but it was hard, hard, hard for a while.
2. The three-point defense appears to be to let the other guys shoot uncontested, figuring the law of averages will even things out in the end. It was only when three-point shots stopped falling and OSU started trying to go inside that UConn's superior defensive schemes showed up.
3. ONO is good and will be terrific, barring injury. Dangerfield looks better by the game. Walker is a steady. starring presence.
4. UConn will beat most of the other guys, but not all of them,. And from what I have heard about Oregon, they have no answer for Oregon at all.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What are you talking about?
Watch post# 32 above the highlights of the game. At 4'08" remaining of 4Q, Kyla scored a big three. Then OSU made a layup of 2 in next play. Where is her "throws the ball away and OSU scores a 3" in the next play?
It wasn't after her 3 point shot, it was before. At 5:20 mark Kyla has a turnover that leads to a transition 3 by Miller.

Reaction Score
Well..what to say. I watch the game through the first half. UConn was not UConn. However, they wasted a lot of energy and still stayed with OSU. I was so bored with them that I fell asleep. When I woke up, I saw the last 18 seconds of the 4th quarter which I thought was the 3rd quarter and so that UConn was ahead with 73 points. I was surprised and glad that they had the win.

Reaction Score
Anyone know how many turnovers we had?
Couldn’t find that stat. I thought the team looked a little out-of-sync. Freshman looked like they were trying really hard, but nervous.
I think that will be better as the season goes on. Love Anna and Aubrey and I think Kyla starts next game. You?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Ouch! In so many ways. How many layups did this team miss today?

I am as big a UConn fan as anyone. But this has to be the weakest UConn team I can remember seeing.

Five mostly slim wins against five mediocre, unranked teams.

Never seen so much standing around by a UConn team. And each player appears to be looking to the other players to make the big shot, make the big play.

ONO, as the former Georgia coach stated, just doesn't give UConn strength inside.

The team has struggled against the portion of the schedule against which it was supposed to have breezed.

And the one big on the team has a broken toe?

Ouch. In so many ways.
The breeze comes in conference

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Anyone know how many turnovers we had?
Couldn’t find that stat. I thought the team looked a little out-of-sync. Freshman looked like they were trying really hard, but nervous.
I think that will be better as the season goes on. Love Anna and Aubrey and I think Kyla starts next game. You?
14 turnovers. I have no idea who starts next game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Despite the hand wringing I still believe that Ania and AG will be big contributors come March. I also believe that Ania will solve her shooting problems and sooner rather than later. Today however she made bad play after bad play and that got her a comfy seat next to CD for the entire 2nd half. If you read lips you'll also notice that Geno is on her constantly for her imprecise cuts, ill advised drives to the hoop, occasional lax dribbling, her defense and her shooting. She has a lot on her plate: She's a freshman, it's a new system, a demanding coach, a new language, a new atmosphere, different ball, different rims, different food, different people, family 4000 miles away, bigger crowds, bigger expectations, bigger moments. Let's cut her some slack. She'll get there.

Reaction Score
We were on the road against a large Ohio state crowd, we are a very young team with virtually no depth, we were out sized at just about every position, we shot poorly in the first half, we committed several turnovers. We won.

Reaction Score
UConn actually played fairly well, shot well. And beat a mediocre team by barely double digits. I'm afraid this is what to expect the whole year. The downside (e.g., an injury to one of the key 4 players) is greater than the upside (individuals playing much better than they are now). There is just a lack of talent and depth to seriously compete for a Title, imo. Easily the worst UConn team since the 2005 & 2006 seasons (and maybe this century). But, because UConn plays in a very weak conference, I still think they can win a bunch of games and get a 2-seed. But, they'll need a lot of luck to get into another Final 4.
Troll alert!!!

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
According to a recent Courant article, coach is worried about Danger's minutes. The hip injury may not be completely heeled and she hurt her knee against Temple. He isn't sure who can sub for CD, which is the dilemma.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This article from the Hartford Courant is an account of the Ohio State game. The last sentence, about ONO's injury, is significant:

Geno Auriemma confirmed after the game that Nelson-Ododa played on a broken baby toe, which she hurt late in the week in non-basketball related activity.

So, in contrast to the speculation above, the injury is to her baby toe, and it was injured neither in the game nor in practice, but in some non-basketball-related activity. (Did someone step on her toe when she was dancing? Now THAT is speculation if you are into that!)

I doubt if she will miss any time, although her minutes may be limited in the Dayton game if it turns out not to be close. I am more concerned about Crystal's minutes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This article from the Hartford Courant is an account of the Ohio State game. The last sentence, about ONO's injury, is significant:

Geno Auriemma confirmed after the game that Nelson-Ododa played on a broken baby toe, which she hurt late in the week in non-basketball related activity.

So, in contrast to the speculation above, the injury is to her baby toe, and it was injured neither in the game nor in practice, but in some non-basketball-related activity. (Did someone step on her toe when she was dancing? Now THAT is speculation if you are into that!)

I doubt if she will miss any time, although her minutes may be limited in the Dayton game if it turns out not to be close. I am more concerned about Crystal's minutes.
My older son broke his toe in college, playing "hall ball"--barefoot soccer. He kicked a plaster wall. His younger brother broke his toe when he tripped on a concrete parking barrier while wearing flip flops. Doesn't everyone break his/her toe in college? ;)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Very disappointed in UConn’s play over the first 5 games. Is Maracat ever going to make a shot? Seems like she’s also slow a foot. I’d rather play Aubrey and let her get some experience. Irwin comes in the game and makes a 3, then on the next play throws the ball away and OSU scores a 3. Her best game (13 ppt’s.) came against Virginia, a very weak team. What ever happened to Molly Bent? Dangerfield, Williams, and Walker can’t all play 35-40 minutes a night. If they do it will definitely take a toll on their bodies. This is no top four or projected final four rated team. The way they have played this month, I wouldn’t rate them in the top ten. We are going to take our lumps this season.
Have you actually watched any other teams? You don’t have a clue what you are talking about. This team has a lot going for them. They have 1 senior and 1 Junior and a lot of new faces to acclimate. To say they are not top ten is an utterly ridiculous statement. #1 Oregon struggled tonight at Syracuse who is without their best player. Baylor struggled at home earlier this week, Stanford was struggling tonight against Buffalo, Texas A&M struggled against Rice...and so it goes for the rest. Name the 10 you think are better? There is more parity as there are better women players and better coaching. Stop acting spoiled. Jeez. This team deserves more positive support. :confused:

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I figured that Liv’s broken toe had nothing to do with basketball. She probably got it stubbing her toe while walking around her dorm room in her bare feet. That’s why I always where slippers around the house. ;)

Reaction Score
It's the same thing!
True, but most use fracture to refer to something that doesn’t require extensive medical care (think hairline fractures, stress fractures) and a break to refer to a bone that’s been completely broken or significantly fractured. Always good to specify the difference since a broken bone is a lot different than a hairline fracture!

Reaction Score
You are comparing apples to oranges. An joint injury like the ankle that involves ligaments and tendons is entirely different than a fractured toe.
True they are different, but more like Fuji apples to Granny Smith apples. An injury, in any capacity, especially in the foot, can easily get worse from repeated stresses. She still has to walk around campus, practice, workout, and then play in games. All of that is done on her feet and could make things worse or slow down the healing process. No need to play through an injury if it’s not necessary.

Reaction Score
Olivia played a great game for a fractured toe. Uconn after a fashion covered her well.
Sometimes the OFFENSE is dictated by the Defense played against you--Ohio was fouling and bumping, and double teaming except Olivia they Quadrupled teamed her all the time fouling her and bumping,pulling, pushing. The Fifth STARTER--is yet to be determined--Yes, I agree but the field of those who may fill that position is limited. Right now I only see 4 possibilities with 2 possible 3 getting the nod. Ania, Griffin, Irwin and I believe it will come back to 2, Ania/Griffin. Unless Aubrey screws up --it appears she is 5 and Ania is 6.
Unless the others develop immediately.
You mean like every big in the nation? She needs to play through it. Sometimes refs will call the foul, other times they won’t. I don’t think it’s right or fair, but until we get something better than human judgement calling the fouls, it will persist. Watch how people played against Kalani Brown and Teaira McCowan a year ago. They took a beating every night and didn’t get the justice they deserved from the refs. The bigger the player, the more physical the refs seem to allow. Again, I don’t agree with it, but she’ll have to play through it like every other player has.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom