tOSU Postgame Thread [merged thread] | The Boneyard

tOSU Postgame Thread [merged thread]

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the tOSU game:
  • We will certainly take the win, but there are a lot of things to work on. This team is still, very much, a work in progress.
  • Every Husky basket seems hard. Too many missed layups and not enough easy transition baskets.
  • The freshmen played like freshmen sometimes do, 2 steps forward, one step back.
  • Crystal made several big 3’s from the cheap seats along with a couple much needed 2’s. I’m not crazy about her playing 40 minutes a game, but right now, I’m not sure I want her on the bench in a tight game.
  • Still not exactly sure who our fifth starter is…..:confused:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Ist Quarter notes: Helter-skelter opening

-Felt like Megan hardly touched the ball for the 1st five minutes…Oh, she’s our best shooter. let’s give her the ball.
-Getting a bit impatient re: Anna…not a good first quarter; anything that could go wrong did…bricks, takeaways (against) shots blocked (hers)
-Layups, layups.

When Megan was involved in the offense, the team was much better

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
UConn won, Oregon has their hands full.

Reaction Score
Ouch — Geno says Liv has a toe fracture. Hope she heals quick ..

depending on the severity of the fracture she could be out for a while................not good

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
depending on the severity of the fracture she could be out for a while................not good
Geno mentioned it in his post game comment as in she played the whole game with a fractured toe. I'm guessing it's not her big toe, which would be difficult to play with. It's one of the other 4, which probably hurts, but she'll just have to play through it for now.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the tOSU game:
  • We will certainly take the win, but there are a lot of things to work on. This team is still, very much, a work in progress.
  • Every Husky basket seems hard. Too many missed layups and not enough easy transition baskets.
  • The freshmen played like freshmen sometimes do, 2 steps forward, one step back.
  • Crystal made several big 3’s from the cheap seats along with a couple much needed 2’s. I’m not crazy about her playing 40 minutes a game, but right now, I’m not sure I want her on the bench in a tight game.
  • Still not exactly sure who our fifth starter is…..:confused:
Ditto on those missed layups. More so far than the past few years combined.

Reaction Score
Ouch! In so many ways. How many layups did this team miss today?

I am as big a UConn fan as anyone. But this has to be the weakest UConn team I can remember seeing.

Five mostly slim wins against five mediocre, unranked teams.

Never seen so much standing around by a UConn team. And each player appears to be looking to the other players to make the big shot, make the big play.

ONO, as the former Georgia coach stated, just doesn't give UConn strength inside.

The team has struggled against the portion of the schedule against which it was supposed to have breezed.

And the one big on the team has a broken toe?

Ouch. In so many ways.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ditto on those missed layups. More so far than the past few years combined.
Many of the misses were contested, but we've gotten used to Pheesa, Lou and Gabby making contested layups look easy, often times getting an "and 1" in the process. The term is "playing through contact", and these Huskies need to get better at it.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Ohio State looked tougher and more competent (than usual) even with less talent that they've had in the past.
They attacked the basket ferociously. offensive rebounds were strong and they played competent D
Why, How?
Don't be thrown off by the name Jeter...The young woman sitting on their bench...And I noticed taking over some huddles is Tamika Williams...and if anyone knows hard nose BB it's her...

I (still) happen to think that the import of assistants on winning teams is underrated.

ND hasn't look the same since they lost their star assistant and chief recruiter and I think UConn still hasn't replaced the skills that Marissa brought.

Tamika is going to help turn OS into...if not a powerhouse, something respectable.

Reaction Score
What Geno said was she has a little fracture on her toe. It sounds like she started this game with the fractured toe and I doubt she’ll be missing any games because of this. Geno did say that it limited her mobility.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
FT defense was outstanding. Or maybe tOSU was just terrible in that regard.
One of the announcers remarked that it was a problem area for tOSU, shooting only 61% prior to the UConn game, and now lower than that after clanging a bunch of FT's in the Husky game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've complained consistently about Ania's shot, and I'm going to repeat. She misses her 3's long. Not occasionally, not a few, but every one. There are two reasons for that. Either she's over jumping or she's leaning forward, and she ain't over jumping. Now, this is a fixable problem. She just needs to relax and concentrate on jumping more vertically on her shots. When that happens the problems with UConn's 5th scorer is solved.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
One of the announcers remarked that it was a problem area for tOSU, shooting only 61% prior to the UConn game, and now lower than that after clanging a bunch of FT's in the Husky game.

5-13. I think they were 2-9 at one point. I didn't watch the whole game, but when I did have it tuned in they were consistently missing freebies.

Reaction Score
Once again, UConn's opponent pulled down more offensive rebounds than UConn. Does that mean that we're not bothering to box out? That UConn isn't bothering to fight for rebounds? That they're depending on ONO, who is having to do it all herself? All of the above?

Reaction Score
I thought we also faced some tough defense by the referees:

Quick jump ball calls when we yank a rebound vs allow OSU to scrum till they come away with it.
Liv was definitely fouled when they blocked her shot in the 3rd qtr.
Liv's 4th foul was QUESTIONABLE

You do have to play through this on the road - and we did.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I thought we also faced some tough defense by the referees:

Quick jump ball calls when we yank a rebound vs allow OSU to scrum till they come away with it.
Liv was definitely fouled when they blocked her shot in the 3rd qtr.
Liv's 4th foul was QUESTIONABLE

You do have to play through this on the road - and we did.
I thought her 4th foul was nonsense too. Two players going for a loose ball and the tOSU player hooked Liv's arm, and they called it on Liv. Bad calls happen some time. So long as they don't dictate the outcome of the game, I can live with it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I've complained consistently about Ania's shot, and I'm going to repeat. She misses her 3's long. Not occasionally, not a few, but every one. There are two reasons for that. Either she's over jumping or she's leaning forward, and she ain't over jumping. Now, this is a fixable problem. She just needs to relax and concentrate on jumping more vertically on her shots. When that happens the problems with UConn's 5th scorer is solved.

Personally, I prefer her missing long rather than off line which to me would be evidence of nerves. Anna also had a good early drive that rimmed out. So tough shooting luck but unlike the last game, she really did not compensate doing other stuff. Freshmanitis

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
What Geno said was she has a little fracture on her toe. It sounds like she started this game with the fractured toe and I doubt she’ll be missing any games because of this. Geno did say that it limited her mobility.
If it "limits her mobility," I would give her some time off. I would like to see her at full strength for the 2nd half of the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom