Top 5 Huskies of All Time | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Top 5 Huskies of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Because all he had to do was make a freakin free throw. He went 20-20 in MSG earlier that season but missed 2 when it counted. Plus the team was better without him the next year.

I guess I can see this rational more in relation to guys who went to the final four and won championships. Neither Ray or Donyell did that, so you can probably compare production in more of an apples-to-apples way. Ray was incredible and will probably go down as the best basketball player to ever lace them up here, but statistically, I don't think anyone was more dominant than Donyell.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I guess I can see this rational more in relation to guys who went to the final four and won championships. Neither Ray or Donyell did that, so you can probably compare production in more of an apples-to-apples way. Ray was incredible and will probably go down as the best basketball player to ever lace them up here, but statistically, I don't think anyone was more dominant than Donyell.

Statistically, Chris Smith belongs in the top 5. All time leading scorer, with a high PPG average, lots of assists and steals. People forget how strong he was on defense.

It all just goes to show how many great players we've been privileged enough to enjoy at UConn.

Reaction Score
First off, you almost need a Top 10 because UConn is so rich with good players. And I quite frankly found it hard to come to a consensus 5 (I had 2 others that I kept swapping out for the 5th spot).

Secondly, as much as I wanted to put Shabazz in my Top 5, I just couldnt. Its just too hard for me not to put Chris Smith up there because I grew up idolizing this dude, literally.

Top 5

Ray Allen
Kemba
RIP
Rudy Gay
Chris Smith

the other 2 I went back n forth on

Bazz
Okafor

Reaction Score
This is hard. Cause Im thinking 'yeah Drummond didnt WOW the boxscore in college', but man look at the player he's become now. Theres a case for Donyell. Scott Burrell (what can I say, Im partial to homegrown!)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
IMHO, that is not definitive. Arguments can be made to put Lamb over Hanson, Kelley, McKay and Bialosuknia if only because of the different eras. Adrien's a different type of player, so that naturally opens up an argument. Plus I feel he is on the list just to get to 20. Kevin Freeman would have been a better choice, IMO.

Lamb is #44 on the scoring list because he played only 2 seasons. On average, he is #23, and got better as he got more comfortable during his freshman year. He was the second best player on a National Championship team and an NBA Lottery pick based on two college seasons.

Of course these are just opinions, and the OP asked for the top 5 (Mine were Allen, R. Hamilton, Napier, Donyell Marshall, and Okafor). That is a hard enough task than to separate a very similar group from 9-18.

Reaction Score
Limiting to Calhoun-era, I think in terms of totally dominate players the short list is Emeka, Shabazz & Kemba b/c those 3 were that dominant AND champions. So next cut of statistical dominance over a season or career would include Donyell, Ray, Smitty, RIP & Caron. Knocks on everyone but RIP are no championship, on RIP its a team that was great as a team, but not only because RIP was great. It is impossible for me not to be biased based on post-UConn careers in evaluating those 5. But trying to isolate to their best seasons at UConn I think Donyell, Ray and Caron separate as truly transcendent talents & performances. Personally then I can't help but demote Donyell to 2nd team for the tournament performance that possibly unfairly cements his legacy because Donyell did not become the dominate NBA player most of us thought he would/could be.
So my five are Emeka, Kemba, Shabazz, Ray & Caron.
Even though I ruled out RIP early above ultimately for Caron, I think consensus is RIP over Caron because RIP was the best player on our first championship team and RIP hit THE big shot.

Reaction Score
For me Emeka, Bazz, RIP and Kemba are the greatest. Then comes Ray, Donyell and Gordon. Smith and KEA in the conversation. Caron borderline. Gay does not make my list of all time greats.

Reaction Score
So one of UConn's 13 lottery picks is not in the discussion for top 10? Interesting.

I find it very difficult to believe that anyone can name 20 UConn Huskies, who are definitively better (not just arguably) than Jeremy Lamb.
Is Hilton in your discussion for top 10? nba drafts on potential, this whole thread is based on college production.

Also, there's this thing called the huskies of honor...that should be a pretty useful barometer for finding 20+ players who are definitively better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Lambs, but got to give respect where it's due here to the other uconn greats

Reaction Score
It's a little easier if you go by position

G Kemba
G Ray
F Rip
F Donyell
C Emeka

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
How are you measuring best?

The consensus all Americans are: Donyell, Ray, Rip, Emeka, Kemba, Shabazz.

The conference players of the year are:
Donyell, Ray, Rip (x2), Caron, Emeka, Thabeet, Shabazz.

NCAA MOP's are Rip, Emeka, Kemba, Shabazz.

PPG will give you a different list and will career wins, NBA draft #, NBA games played.

I look at it this way, like best NFL QB. Once you reach a certain level, that's it, there is no way to parse, Joe Mon tana, Tom Brady, Terry Bradshaw, Steve Young, Farve, Marino, Aikman, Unitas or YA Tittle. They all excelled to the point that you could drop them on any team in any ERA and still be a GOAT.

The real question to be asking is which UCONN greats achieved GOAT status durin their time in Storrs. Meaning if they played on any team they'd be the guy or could have easily replaced the guy if that ream already had a guy.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Is Hilton in your discussion for top 10? nba drafts on potential, this whole thread is based on college production.

Also, there's this thing called the huskies of honor...that should be a pretty useful barometer for finding 20+ players who are definitively better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Lambs, but got to give respect where it's due here to the other uconn greats
The two go hand in hand. College performance provides for an indication of that potential, and No. Armstrong is not in my personal Top 10. He was consistently inconsistent from 2002-2005 before breaking out in '05-'06. He played nearly as many minutes his senior year as the three year prior.

So John Toner is a better basketball player than Jeremy Lamb? Jim Calhoun? Hugh Greer? The Huskies of Honor are there for significance as much as how great they were as individual players.

Reaction Score
For as good as Kemba was in 2010-11, he was not consistent through out his 3 years. He came in as Ben Gordon 2.0 as a freshman, but had a definite regression as a sophomore. For that reason, I can't put him in the top 5.

Walter Ray
R. Hamilton
Napier
Okafor
Donyell Marshall
And yet, you include Donyell, who had one really great season and didn't lead his team to a thing.

Reaction Score
And yet, you include Donyell, who had one really great season and didn't lead his team to a thing.

But neither did Ray right? Donyell's Jr year was the best we've seen minus a NC. And he went 11/17 for pts his first 2 and his rebounding improved each year. He was certainly one of the top 5 best players, maybe not according to those who prefer championships, but those were won by teams that were better too.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yup. I did.

Reaction Score
But neither did Ray right? Donyell's Jr year was the best we've seen minus a NC. And he went 11/17 for pts his first 2 and his rebounding improved each year. He was certainly one of the top 5 best players, maybe not according to those who prefer championships, but those were won by teams that were better too.
I was just responding to someone eliminating Kemba from the top 5 over "inconsistency" in favor of Donyell. Yeah, a great season in 1994. Kemba had a pretty great year in 2011, too. And he carried his team to the BET title AND the national championship, AND he was a significant contributor to another final four team as a freshman.

You want to put Donyell in your top 5 ? Great. But not at the expense of Kemba Walker. No way, no how.

I do agree that Ray and Donyell are very comparable players when it comes to making your "top 5" list. Great seasons, All Americans, but couldn't get over the final four hump.

For me, there are only a few categories you label college basketball seasons - pretty good, good, really good, very good, and CHAMPION. And to me, 1999 and 2004 were awesome, but 2011 and 2014 are program defining seasons.

So maybe, in the name of fairness, we'll call the top 5:

Ray, Donyell, Rip, Kemba, Shabazz

The only defense for leaving out Emeka and / or Ben is that they had each other, and Rashad, and Taliek, and Boone, etc. That was probably the most talented overall roster.

So call it the top 6. Consider that they give out an award for 6th man, so one more than a starting five:

Ray, Donyell, Rip, Kemba, Shabazz, and Emeka

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
I was just responding to someone eliminating Kemba from the top 5 over "inconsistency" in favor of Donyell. Yeah, a great season in 1994. Kemba had a pretty great year in 2011, too. And he carried his team to the BET title AND the national championship, AND he was a significant contributor to another final four team as a freshman.

You want to put Donyell in your top 5 ? Great. But not at the expense of Kemba Walker. No way, no how.

And yet, I did.

Reaction Score
And yet, I did.

One hand clapping, just for you

tumblr_ns6jn0YOEq1uzae1ko1_500.gif

Reaction Score
The two go hand in hand. College performance provides for an indication of that potential, and No. Armstrong is not in my personal Top 10. He was consistently inconsistent from 2002-2005 before breaking out in '05-'06. He played nearly as many minutes his senior year as the three year prior.

So John Toner is a better basketball player than Jeremy Lamb? Jim Calhoun? Hugh Greer? The Huskies of Honor are there for significance as much as how great they were as individual players.
After going back and forth with you I'm having a tough time deciding if you seriously think Jim Calhoun is in the huskies of honor because of his time as a player

Husky25

Reaction Score
One hand clapping, just for you

Is there supposed to be an overwhelming urge to apologize for my opinion, Mrs. Walker? 'Cause I'm not feeling it.

After going back and forth with you I'm having a tough time deciding if you seriously think Jim Calhoun is in the huskies of honor because of his time as a player
Yup. That's exactly what I think. :rolleyes:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
... Kemba was in 2010-11...was not consistent through out his 3 years. He came in as Ben Gordon 2.0 as a freshman, but had a definite regression as a sophomore. For that reason, I can't put him in the top 5.

Yet you are carrying a ton of water for Lamb in this thread. How did he play as a sophomore?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yet you are carrying a ton of water for Lamb in this thread. How did he play as a sophomore?
Good enough to be a lottery pick and I never had Lamb close to the top 5.

Reaction Score
Ray's official retirement got me thinking about the greatest Huskies of all time at the college level. My top 5 in no particular order:

Rip
Ray
Emeka
Kemba
Shabazz

Donyell and Caron deserve strong consideration as well. Thoughts?
I don't see how anyone can argue with this list. When you look at accomplishments and titles, all but Ray need to be on there. Ray was the most talented player to ever wear the uniform so this has to be the 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom