Top 5 Huskies of All Time | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top 5 Huskies of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kemba, Shabazz, Ray, Rip, and Emeka is the pretty obvious top 5.

You could probably swap in Donyell if you wanted to put together the best starting 5, but the top 5 UConn players of all time is a pretty easy list to come up with.

Reaction Score
Did he?

Seriously? Yes, yes he did.

To answer the OP question:

Rip (stone cold killer, the man who got JC over the hump)

Shabazz
Kemba
Emeka

Ray/Donyell/Caron. Good arguments can be made for all 3. Ray and Caron both were brilliant in losing elite 8's. Ray's 1996 squad was the most dominant Big East regular season team ever. Donyell might be the most dominant regular season player we've ever had.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Kemba, Shabazz, Ray, Rip, and Emeka is the pretty obvious top 5.

You could probably swap in Donyell if you wanted to put together the best starting 5, but the top 5 UConn players of all time is a pretty easy list to come up with.

I mean, not really...people have mentioned a few points already, but basically that's only true depending on your definition...

Does best mean most impactful career? Best career objectively by numbers/accolades? Most talented? Best by position? Best single season?

I think that's got to be properly defined before the answer can be analyzed, I mean in ways you can say an entirely different 5 players but still a form of "best" 5...

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Ray Allen is in the top 5 almost no matter what, for example...unless you judge "best" on "strictly college basketball career performance" because you could easily say Kemba, Okafor, Shabazz, Rip and Donyell were better college players and not be wrong.

Shabazz could be #1 on a few legit lists then be not top 5 for another definition of "best top 5."

Reaction Score
Why do so many have Ray over Donyell? Not saying I disagree, I'm just curious to hear the reasoning.

This is a tough thing to do because of how much the game has changed. If Shabazz played in Donyell's era, I think he's a very good player, but maybe not dominant. If Donyelll played in modern times, he's here two years max. Simply put Donyell is the better player but Shabazz is more decorated. Not really sure how you even argue something as open-ended as "best," but me, if we're focusing strictly on collegiate production, without the insertion of additional context, Shabazz has to be #1. He submitted two all-American caliber seasons, played an integral role in a championship his freshman year, and put together, in my opinion, the best NCAA tournament performance in UConn history, even better than Kemba. He was basically an impeccable prototype of what you want a college career to look like, both in terms of progression and 'clutch' factor (yes I do think clutch is a thing, even if it's overstated).

Rounding out the top five after that would be Kemba, Emeka, Rip, and Donyell, in that order. It feels stupid not having Ray in the top five but I think the other guys were more apt to impose their will on a game, on both ends (Ray might have been better overall than Rip, but Rip won a championship and delivered an epic performance against one of the best college teams of all-time).
Agreed but '99 UConn was better than that '99 Duke (one of the best teams of all-time.)

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Kemba has to be on this list somewhere considering that the way he carried UConn to the title when he did.

Ray Allen
Kemba Walker
Rip Hamilton
Emeka Okafor
Donyell Marshall

Chris Smith
Caron Butler
Ben Gordon
Khalid al-amin
Shabazz

Dove gets a special award

Reaction Score
Ray Allen
Ben Gordon (sorry but if UConn had tryouts Ben would start over Bazz and Kemba)
Emeka
SF Rip
PF Donyell

Reaction Score
Why do so many have Ray over Donyell? Not saying I disagree, I'm just curious to hear the reasoning.

This is a tough thing to do because of how much the game has changed. If Shabazz played in Donyell's era, I think he's a very good player, but maybe not dominant. If Donyelll played in modern times, he's here two years max. Simply put Donyell is the better player but Shabazz is more decorated. Not really sure how you even argue something as open-ended as "best," but me, if we're focusing strictly on collegiate production, without the insertion of additional context, Shabazz has to be #1. He submitted two all-American caliber seasons, played an integral role in a championship his freshman year, and put together, in my opinion, the best NCAA tournament performance in UConn history, even better than Kemba. He was basically an impeccable prototype of what you want a college career to look like, both in terms of progression and 'clutch' factor (yes I do think clutch is a thing, even if it's overstated).

Rounding out the top five after that would be Kemba, Emeka, Rip, and Donyell, in that order. It feels stupid not having Ray in the top five but I think the other guys were more apt to impose their will on a game, on both ends (Ray might have been better overall than Rip, but Rip won a championship and delivered an epic performance against one of the best college teams of all-time).

Great post...

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
This is impossible...but one guy people are forgetting..Thabeet. Dude was an incredible player in college and still our highest draft pick (with Emeka). Dude brought us to a Final Four. Im not saying id take him over Emeka...but he'd have to get 2nd team consideration.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Because all he had to do was make a freakin free throw. He went 20-20 in MSG earlier that season but missed 2 when it counted. Plus the team was better without him the next year.

Reaction Score
Because all he had to do was make a freakin free throw. He went 20-20 in MSG earlier that season but missed 2 when it counted. Plus the team was better without him the next year.

He and Ray are top 2 put them any way you like but there weren't 2 better.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Is this supposed to be funny? If so, fail.
If you say so. I'm curious, there's other Selvie love on this thread . Why are you Cyber bullying me?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Mine would be
Ray
Emeka
Rip
Donyell
Kemba

Yes, Shabazz not on the list, but he or Ben Gordon would be next.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Did you seriously just put Jeremy lamb as a top 10 all time husky?

So one of UConn's 13 lottery picks is not in the discussion for top 10? Interesting.

Yeah, that's quite the stretch. Not even sure Lamb is top 20.
I find it very difficult to believe that anyone can name 20 UConn Huskies, who are definitively better (not just arguably) than Jeremy Lamb.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
J. Lamb with 3 yrs is a top 15 - 20 player at
Uconn.
D Ham , Thabeet , Rudy , M. Williams, etc. would've all moved further up the list with another year but our Mount Rushmore is About 7-8 guys
Ray
Kemba
Shabazz
Emeka
Rip
Donyell
Caron
Smitty
And even with that list I left out - KEA , Cliff,
Boat, etc. It's all debatable

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Graduated in 82 and have been a season ticket holder since. For me it would be
Ray
Rip
Donyell
Emeka
Smitty

I think being there 3-4 years matters. Also Smitty vote because he really changed everything and
was JC's first really big recruit and being CT kid was huge also.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So one of UConn's 13 lottery picks is not in the discussion for top 10? Interesting.

I find it very difficult to believe that anyone can name 20 UConn Huskies, who are definitively better (not just arguably) than Jeremy Lamb.

Ray, Rip, Emeka, Ben, Kemba, Donyell, Bazz, Caron, Rudy, Adrien, Cliff, KEA, Corny Thompson, Chris Smith, Tony Hanson, Earl Kelley, Boatright, McKay, Burrell, Wes Bialosuknia.

Even Dyson had the same career scoring average over twice as many years.

Lamb is #44 all time on the UConn scoring list. List of Connecticut Huskies men's basketball players with 1000 points - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom