Tonight at 7 on espn Olympic team versus... | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Tonight at 7 on espn Olympic team versus...

Reaction Score
As others wrote, Team USA got an issue with the guards...they are not that great for this team...it's lucky to have Bird (and hopefully DT) to make it look like team USA and not just a group of talented individual players. Gray and SDS are just not the type of PG's needed for such a team to ensure ball movement. The bigs are great! Wilson, Stewie, BG, Tina and Fowles are just a different level than anybody else.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
why does Nigeria have 19 players?
tho I guess EWill & Nneka arent official members

lots of former college players -- Chiney, Erica O, Balogun, Chidom, Imvobioh
I'm assuming they've named some alternates as well? Still seems like a lot.

I think almost all of the Nigerians played NCAA ball. A few former Pac-12 stars:
Promise Amukamara (ASU), Ify Ibekwe (Arizona), and Atonye Nyingifa (UCLA).

I also recognize Amy Okonkwo (TCU), Victoria Macaulay (Temple), and Adaora Elonu (was on TAMU's 2011 championship team).

Reaction Score
I actually know Amy Okonkwo. Very nice young lady. She was a beast in High School first at Los Osos then transferring to Etiwanda in Cucamonga.

Reaction Score
As others wrote, Team USA got an issue with the guards...they are not that great for this team...it's lucky to have Bird (and hopefully DT) to make it look like team USA and not just a group of talented individual players. Gray and SDS are just not the type of PG's needed for such a team to ensure ball movement. The bigs are great! Wilson, Stewie, BG, Tina and Fowles are just a different level than anybody else.
The player that would have helped this team is EDD, she along with Stewie, and A'ja would have given the USA 3 players who no one could guard. You could have A'ja, Stewie, and EDD on the floor at the same time.

Reaction Score
The player that would have helped this team is EDD, she along with Stewie, and A'ja would have given the USA 3 players who no one could guard. You could have A'ja, Stewie, and EDD on the floor at the same time.
Now that cambage isn’t playing, is there anyone who can guard Griner?

Reaction Score
Now that cambage isn’t playing, is there anyone who can guard Griner?
The problem will be teams like Australia who play 5 out. That's where EDD would have been very valuable. The 3 of EDD, Stewie, and A'ja can go out and pressure people.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Did Geno ever do one of these TikToks?

Reaction Score
My take is that without DT, the team only has one reliable guard, Sue. Also, when Sue and DT are out there, it really won’t matter what other bigs you put out there. I think the best for team play would be to add Aja and Pheesa, but really any 2 of Sylvia, Charles and Griner would be just as good, more dominating perhaps, but maybe less “team”.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Who are the upcoming great wings for team USA, now that Seimone is retired, Catchings is retired, and Angel is at the end of her career?

Hayes is 31yo
Courtney Williams is 27yo
Laney is 27yo
Deshields is 26yo
Copper is 26yo
A. Gray is 26yo

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Who are the upcoming great wings for team USA, now that Seimone is retired, Catchings is retired, and Angel is at the end of her career?

Hayes is 31yo
Courtney Williams is 27yo
Laney is 27yo
Deshields is 26yo
Copper is 26yo
A. Gray is 26yo
You mean since Maya retired? Maya became the starting wing in 2012 (London) and held that position in 2014 (Istanbul) and 2016 (Rio).

Who knows? Right now it's Stewie who will be logging a lot of minutes at that position.

Reaction Score
You mean since Maya retired? Maya became the starting wing in 2012 (London) and held that position in 2014 (Istanbul) and 2016 (Rio).

Who knows? Right now it's Stewie who will be logging a lot of minutes at that position.
We were supposed to also have EDD, who it looks like might never play again. This is 2 years in a row she hasn't played.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
yes IDK how I forgot Maya.

I sure hope EDD can be back on the court soon, but I think her game is more similar to Stewart's--she has the shooting skills of wing, but I think is most effective as a stretch 4.

Reaction Score
yes IDK how I forgot Maya.

I sure hope EDD can be back on the court soon, but I think her game is more similar to Stewart's--she has the shooting skills of wing, but I think is most effective as a stretch 4.
You put A'ja, Stewie, and EDD out there, and anyone who played a true center would get destroyed. Playing a true 3 would also get you in trouble. Another player who would fit that group is Parker.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
If Tina manages to get her head together, .

I saw Tina in a game a week or two ago, where she scored effortlessly and at will.
Got to a point where even her "prayers" were all-net.

I had no idea she was a head case...
Amazin,amazin, amazin!

Reaction Score
I saw Tina in a game a week or two ago, where she scored effortlessly and at will.
Got to a point where even her "prayers" were all-net.

I had no idea she was a head case...
Amazin,amazin, amazin!
She seems to be a step slow, she will get there, all she needs is to get used to the referees. They let a lot to that is called in the WNBA. Tina will be ok.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The starting 5 are good, Sylvia off the bench is good. Get DT back, and go with that 7. If Tina manages to get her head together, that would be 8. Atkins has too many careless turnovers to be on the floor. Gray and Skylar both dribble too much.

Tina doesn't need to do anything with her head. She'll give outstanding effort and be effective.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
FYI, Tina's shot was off, but she only attempted 2. She missed some bunnies. So did Sylvia.

Still, she had 9 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 blocks. She did have 4 TO's which is not good. Still, she only took 2 shots. Her offense was not needed. It would be different if she jacked up 10 shots and went "0-fer", but she did not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom