Tonight at 7 on espn Olympic team versus... | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Tonight at 7 on espn Olympic team versus...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I didn't see the game but apparently it didn't go very well.
Wasn't so hot the other day either...
Remember when Boneyarder's, myself included, disparaged Dawn's coaching iq?
Then she won the natty and it all went away...didn't convince me though.

It's easy to speak about Nneka (who can't play yet)...but whose toughness when she is fit is admirable.

Do I not remember a major college talent being regularly chosen?

Something is definitely off when Ezi Magbegor outplays the American all-star bigs.

Something is definitely off when Jewel, Sue and Skylar score less than 10 between them.
and Brittany, Tina and Syl score 17 between them.
And Aja is 5 for 5 and plays only 12 minutes plus...
And Pheesa and Skylar shoot 0% from the floor.

Something is going on...with this team...doesn't seem to be working.
It's early, they may yet pull it together.
But they remind me of this season's heartless Yanks (in a different sport)
Lot's of perceived talent; not much in the way of results.
I will throw my armchair psychiatry at this. I do not think most of the players feel this is how an Olympics should be and may not have the same juice the team would normally have. Full Quarantine without fans in a country that does not want to host. I also think DT not playing is a downer. She brings a lot of emotional energy to a team. Still, once there, I think they will get it together.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be in a panic were I the team but how many people thought this team could lose without Cambage? It's odd to me the team couldn't hit the outside shot yet didn't seem to use it's inside strength to its advantage. Australia is by no means a bad team even without Liz but the team is still light years better.

We won't be gnashing our teeth if the team gets the gold but right now there has to be a frank discussion about where this team is lacking as opposed to continually complementing their numerous talented players. These are some of the best players in the world but they will also be going up against established national teams who are all playing for an upset.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This was the first time I got to really see Jonquil Jones play, and I was blown away. She is by far the greatest player I never got to watch in college!!! Absolutely amazing. A double-double against Team USA, contributing to out rebounding that team, and also almost winning the 3-point contest? I was shocked.

Having said that, this WNBA team convincingly beat the USA national team, which looked a bit tired and certainly slower. They committed twice as many turnovers as the WNBA All-Stars, and were out rebounded.

Coach Geno said that there wasn't much separation between the national team and players who could be selected for the national team, and we just saw exactly what he was talking about.

I'm guessing that Jonquil Jones can't play in the Olympics because Bahamas didn't qualify. Have I got that right?
Maya Moore had 14 points, 9 rebounds against the national team in her first game as a freshman at UConn.

Taking nothing from JJ, just standing up for one of Our Girls

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Maya Moore had 14 points, 9 rebounds against the national team in her first game as a freshman at UConn.

Taking nothing from JJ, just standing up for one of Our Girls
I don't think anyone has to stand up for Maya. Being one of the best ever in the game, now she is becoming legendary as a person. I don't even know why you brought her up as she wasn't mentioned in the Fairfield post. He was talking about JJ, the best young player in the WNBA. Sun fans know that the title may have been won LY if she had not opted out of the season. She is a great talent who has opened the eyes of the general basketball fan, a talent most WNBA fans have already acknowledged.

Reaction Score
Clearly Dawn didn't coach this game like she would have were it an Olympic contest but she has some lineup issues to figure out. Opponents are going to spread Team USA out like Australia did today which is going to limit the effectiveness of all those bigs. The offense was bogged down by too many forced passes inside, poor perimeter shooting and a lack of movement on offense. This is not 2016. To bring up Richard Cohen's point, the 3 position remains a hole that needs to be filled. There's no Maya Moore walking through the door.

Still, no need to panic. Diana will help and the team will shoot better than it did today. It's just not going to look as pretty as it has in other years.
IMO these games mean nothing. It's a time to mesh players together to see who works best under a given situation. True it doesn't help when inconsistencies in shooting like this happen. But we'll be back (I hope :() when it counts.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
IMO these games mean nothing. It's a time to mesh players together to see who works best under a given situation. True it doesn't help when inconsistencies in shooting like this happen. But we'll be back (I hope :() when it counts.
I would agree if there were 2 months to the games but games are in 10 days. Yes, they will probably get out of their shooting funk but no way the players are 'ok' with these results. And showing vulnerability
as the rest of the world watches is never a good thing.

Reaction Score
I would agree if there were 2 months to the games but games are in 10 days. Yes, they will probably get out of their shooting funk but no way the players are 'ok' with these results. And showing vulnerability
I agree. I am sorry but they are not pure point guards like a Sue or a Lindsay Whalen coming off the bench. They were chosen from the WNBA team with a corresponding big presumably to get the ball inside. Maybe we should press the guards on rotation except when Sue and DT are both in.
The best American guard in the Olympics might be Kelsey Plum, who was on the 2018 World Cup team. At least she can shoot, and pass.

Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game, so I am really just commenting blindly. My recollection of Team USA in the past was that players always bought into the idea of playing for something bigger than themselves, and being incredibly unselfish. That alway seemed to lead to a lot of turnovers because instead of just playing basketball, players wanted to get everyone involved and always find the best shot. There is definitely a learning curve to building team chemistry.

That being said, we continue to load these teams with veterans. If you have a bunch of older players on the court against young quick players, it can lead to defensive issues. Combine that with having a poor shooting day from the outside, and I can't say I am surprised.

I think they are clearly the gold medal favorites based on personnel. Hopefully they take these last two games as a kick in the pants to start putting the pieces together.

Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game, so I am really just commenting blindly. My recollection of Team USA in the past was that players always bought into the idea of playing for something bigger than themselves, and being incredibly unselfish. That alway seemed to lead to a lot of turnovers because instead of just playing basketball, players wanted to get everyone involved and always find the best shot. There is definitely a learning curve to building team chemistry.

That being said, we continue to load these teams with veterans. If you have a bunch of older players on the court against young quick players, it can lead to defensive issues. Combine that with having a poor shooting day from the outside, and I can't say I am surprised.

I think they are clearly the gold medal favorites based on personnel. Hopefully they take these last two games as a kick in the pants to start putting the pieces together.
Actually it was the young guards who played no defense.

Reaction Score
And I would agree with you, except, what better time is there to move players in and out to see what works? As you said, the olympics are only a week and a half away! Is winning now that important? Not from where I stand. All those players deserve to be on that stage. I think there will be a completely different mindset when the games begin!

Reaction Score
Yes, at least at the point. She is also very quick, can drive and pull up and is a lefty. Would have been a very solid replacement for Sue.
Unlike all the other guards on this team, a great outside shooter. She makes the Las Vegas team better, because she can shoot from anywhere. She also has a quick release.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Look, the team shot 37% from FG. Their starting guards (Sue and Jewell) went 2-14 from the field and had 8 Tos. I doubt they'll both shoot that poorly again.

The other guards:
Atkins put in 6pts (3-4 FG) and 2 rebounds in 12min.
Gray put in 6 pts (3-7FG) 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 3 turnovers in 17min.
SDS put in 5 points (5-5FT) 2 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1 turnover in 17min.

Reaction Score
Yes, at least at the point. She is also very quick, can drive and pull up and is a lefty. Would have been a very solid replacement for Sue.
I believe your comments on Kelsey Plum make her an outstanding choice for the 3 X 3 Gold Medal team. If you have seen her, KLS, Dolson and Gray ("The best Gray" ever), you know they are on a mission for gold. I was very happy that Kara Lawson was able to take the same four woemn that got the US qualified!!!

Hopefully, we will be able to get the stream or replays of each of their games in Tokyo.

Reaction Score
From TV Guide:

713D1D91-3A4E-4A93-9E5C-5CF46BCCF24B.jpeg

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I have to say having watched the 2 exhibition games that yes, the players have to find each other and what works and what doesn’t, defense needs more communication BUT the coaching staff should also be working their game management AND that was and is a major concern for me. I have never seen Dawn take a tight game and manage it seamlessly in the last 4 minutes, she usually waits too long on time outs and has not impressed me with her set plays. So yes, I am worried on her coaching a close game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think the Nigeria game is only on the Olympic Channel (which is an addon I so not want to spend extra). The men's game against Spain is on NBCSN

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think the Nigeria game is only on the Olympic Channel (which is an addon I so not want to spend extra). The men's game against Spain is on NBCSN
Watching the replay of the 2016 gold medal game vs. Spain: Our team in Rio was just so stacked. 9 out of the 12 were returning Olympians, the chemistry was on point, and Taurasi was an absolute killer. Spain hung tough early but was down by 30+ after 3Q.

This year's roster is overall less experienced and took some sizable downgrades at the guard and wing positions: Instead of Whalen, Moore, Augustus, Delle Donne and McCoughtry, we now have Diggins, Gray, Loyd, Atkins and Collier. Add to that the fact Taurasi has been resting, it shouldn't be so surprising that the team has looked more vulnerable.

Here's an interesting write-up by Voepel with quotes from Staley, Loyd, Atkins, Taurasi:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
US looking better today, up 19-4 after the first 6 minutes, but there's a noticeable talent mismatch. Interesting that Elizabeth Williams started for Nigeria (while her appeal is pending) but no Ogwumike sightings yet.

Kara Lawson is on color commentary; always a treat to hear her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Watching the replay of the 2016 gold medal game vs. Spain: Our team in Rio was just so stacked. 9 out of the 12 were returning Olympians, the chemistry was on point, and Taurasi was an absolute killer. Spain hung tough early but was down by 30+ after 3Q.

This year's roster is overall less experienced and took some sizable downgrades at the guard and wing positions: Instead of Whalen, Moore, Augustus, Delle Donne and McCoughtry, we now have Diggins, Gray, Loyd, Atkins and Collier. Add to that the fact Taurasi has been resting, it shouldn't be so surprising that the team has looked more vulnerable.

Here's an interesting write-up by Voepel with quotes from Staley, Loyd, Atkins, Taurasi:

I watched most of that game too. We miss Maya, Angel, Elena, and Mone. Other than Catch and Stewie, most of those players were at or near the peaks of their respective careers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
21 assists on 22 buckets in the first half. You would think Sue Bird was playing or something! :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom