Time to put DePaul on a PiP | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Time to put DePaul on a PiP

Reaction Score
Can we just give their spot to the Loyola Ramblers straight up? Don't even need to change travel plans.
Interesting thought. But I think that they would become the worst team in the Big East and DePaul would begin to rise. DePaul has more resources that Loyola. I think they have a better chance to be competitive.

Reaction Score
If
Wasn't I saying this a couple of weeks ago? Wasn't widely received. That thread as been banished to the CR Forum

I concur with the throat puncher, 100%

Given a choice, I choose Gonzaga. Only creates a travel problem for them. Damn, just flying from Spokane to Southern California is a long trip. They're already used to it
if we are poaching show some cajones & get an OG back. Pitt or Cuse go from cannon fodder in ACC to relevant again. We know a nose picking Syracuse board member would approve.

Reaction Score
The Big East has to put those clowns on the clock.

They cannot let them keep going like this - they’re like 215 games under .500 in conference since they joined the Big East….and they’re actually getting worse. They can’t keep their losses under 30 most of the time. They couldn’t win the NEC.

They’re the worst major conference program in explored space, their NIL is a four-letter word that begins with ‘s’, they can’t even draw flies to their games and with Georgetown, they’re absolutely fragging the conference’s net rankings.

Give them three years, five years or whatever, but give them a deadline to improve. If they don’t, replace them with any program with a pulse and you immediately improve the Big East.
I've advocated for St. Joseph's to take their spot. Get that Nova-St. Joe's rivalry going. I agree, DePaul hurts the other league teams' strengthof schedule. It's like having two D3 games on your schedule every year.

Reaction Score
In theory they have a good market and good local recruiting pool. Yet they’re on track to be probably one of the worst teams in high major history this year

The next HC has to be a (relative) home run, or else they have some decisions to make after his first contract..

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Might be the worst job in the country with the lack of support. This is Chicago and the team should be much better with all that talent in the area.
Need you say anything more

if we are poaching show some cajones & get an OG back. Pitt or Cuse go from cannon fodder in ACC to relevant again.

So, you are saying that the ACC is much stronger than the NBE?

Reaction Score
In 2019-2020 they were 7-11 in conference and 19-17. In 2021-22 it was 6-14 and 15-16 overall.

Both times in the bottom 2 of the BE. It's not even like they have to get out of the bottom 2 perse, but just be competent like those 2 seasons. Even during 2019, 3-15 big east season they were 16-16. But this year they were wretched with 26 losses. This can't become a pattern.

Right, we wouldn’t be having this discussion if they were a regular trash team going 7-11 in conference. But that was their modern dream season. 13 seasons in the Big East with 9 of those resulting in three or fewer wins.

Reaction Score
If Oklahoma is planning on firing him, that would be a great hire. Not sure why he'd leave otherwise, though.

Guy must really love Chicago. He grew up outside the city and presumably has a lot of family in the area. Prior to the OU job he had spent 14 years coaching in Illinois. It still doesn’t make much sense to me. But reputable people have him in the mix even after the other early “candidates” like the Illinois State guy have signaled their lack of interest. I buy it more than Bobby returning to get destroyed by his brother 2x a year.

Reaction Score
Interesting thought. But I think that they would become the worst team in the Big East and DePaul would begin to rise. DePaul has more resources that Loyola. I think they have a better chance to be competitive.
Loyola has an excellent coach in Drew Valentine. He'll be in the Big Ten in a year or two

Reaction Score
Might be the worst job in the country with the lack of support. This is Chicago and the team should be much better with all that talent in the area.
Didn't they just build a new practice facility or in the process of building one?

Their current setup is garbage but they are trying to improve it at least.

Reaction Score
High school bball in Chicago has changed (a lot) over the last 25+ years. DePaul and Illinois (plus a few other Big Ten schools - IU, Michigan) used to get all of the kids that played in the public high schools on the south side. And DePaul had access to the Catholic high schools in the area that sent their boys to a Catholic university.

That’s all dried up. The South side has become a gang-infested wasteland. And all of the promising prospects go to prep schools around the country. The northern suburb kids go to Duke.

Chicago ain’t the hotbed anymore

Reaction Score
Loyola has an excellent coach in Drew Valentine. He'll be in the Big Ten in a year or two

This seems like a stretch to me. He's young with potential, and absolutely 0 evidence he's ready to be a high-major coach. Once he puts a team in the NCAAT a couplefew times with his own recruits, we can talk.

His first season as HC they were really good because he was resting on Moser's laurels. Considering they dropped from #29 --> #253 on Kenpom as soon as Moser's players left, it's hard for me to believe he was that good. He is having a very solid performance in the A10 this year though.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Guy must really love Chicago. He grew up outside the city and presumably has a lot of family in the area. Prior to the OU job he had spent 14 years coaching in Illinois. It still doesn’t make much sense to me. But reputable people have him in the mix even after the other early “candidates” like the Illinois State guy have signaled their lack of interest. I buy it more than Bobby returning to get destroyed by his brother 2x a year.
I think you mean the Indiana St. coach. Illinois State is 15-16 overall and 9-11 in the Valley. Come to think of it DePaul hiring the Illinois St. coach makes complete sense.

Reaction Score
3-26 is a lot different than 16-16.....3 and 26 can't become a pattern, I thought that point was clear. .500 record overall (19-17 and 15-16), as was the case in 2 recent seasons would suffice....someone has to be at the bottom, if its gonna be depaul they can at least be like those two seasons, thats all I'm saying.
Really don't get your nasty attitude towards me but no interest in continuing past this point due to that so will mute the thread.
Don't take the attitude personally, it's all in good fun. Fishy is a shark, rises to the surface once in a while to feed and leaves a fair amount of blood in the water.

No, DePaul should not be THIS bad. With the transfer portal, some programs may be destined to dwell in the cellar, unless they absolutely strike gold with a fantastic head coach. It's tough to recruit. Even if they find a hidden gem who turns out to be the next Tristen Newton or Cam Spencer, that kid will likely want to transfer.

Reaction Score
I know nothing about the guy, but he can't be any worse.
Tom Kleinschmidt might be the son of the lovely and talented Bonnie Kleinschmidt.

DePaul was 69-47 while he played at DePaul from 1991-1995. Sign him up!

Reaction Score
This seems like a stretch to me. He's young with potential, and absolutely 0 evidence he's ready to be a high-major coach. Once he puts a team in the NCAAT a couplefew times with his own recruits, we can talk.
We'll see. You could have said many of the same things about Kim English. I think by the end of year 5 he'll get a call.

Reaction Score
If Oklahoma is planning on firing him, that would be a great hire. Not sure why he'd leave otherwise, though.
From what I've read, he hates Oklahoma and wants to move back to the Midwest. Not sure how accurate it is, but theres too much smoke to not be at least partially true

Reaction Score
I think you mean the Indiana St. coach. Illinois State is 15-16 overall and 9-11 in the Valley. Come to think of it DePaul hiring the Illinois St. coach makes complete sense.

Yea I meant Schertz

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
He was a mcD AA same year as Donyell. Doesn’t mean anything as far as coaching goes, but he was a very good player for DePaul when they played actual basketball.
I knew that name rang a bell…he was a good player.

Reaction Score
High school bball in Chicago has changed (a lot) over the last 25+ years. DePaul and Illinois (plus a few other Big Ten schools - IU, Michigan) used to get all of the kids that played in the public high schools on the south side. And DePaul had access to the Catholic high schools in the area that sent their boys to a Catholic university.

That’s all dried up. The South side has become a gang-infested wasteland. And all of the promising prospects go to prep schools around the country. The northern suburb kids go to Duke.

Chicago ain’t the hotbed anymore
Matas Buzelis left but that's all I know about. There certainly isn't any exodus of Chicagoland talent to New England Prep or any other Prep around the country.

There isn't the Derrick Rose, Ronnie Fields, Kevin Garnett, Benji Wilson, Jahlil Okafor, Anthony Davis at the moment but there's still a ton of talent in the area. The next biggest/star names are most likely going to be the trio of freshmen point guards- Davion Thompson, Jaxson Davis, and Devin Cleveland. They all already have Illinois offers and are doing things not many or no local freshmen have ever done.

None of what you're talking about has dried up, there seems to have been like a three to five year blip where they're not kicking out the extreme talent like usual but there's still the public school powers and Catholic school powers and still the awesome talents coming up...

The South Side has been a gang infested wasteland for decades and has been producing high D1 talent and NBA players for decades. Same goes for the West Side which is even more dangerous than the South Side.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom