Time for a Change | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Time for a Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought the hiring process for Pasqualoni was silly. Hathaway admitted he was convinced to hire Pasqualoni by a great interview, which is a bad reason to hire a ditch digger much less a D1A head coach. The fact that Whipple was the alternative was enough to make me want Pasqualoni.

That said, I am not that upset with Pasqualoni so far. I don't think we are ever getting back to a BCS bowl with him, but our one trip was such a fluke I am confident that Edsall would never get us back to one either.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
We need to hold onto leads, but I agree with Nelson here. We haven't looked all that bad and the schemes and recruiting are OK. I dislike some of the assistant coaches though, most notably White and SOS. Deleone is a wait and see but I liked the play action passing on first down today. That really opened up the running game.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I don't know if PP is the answer or not at this point (my suspicion is probably not which I think is a common feeling here). That being said, I'd like to point all of you to last year's Cincinnati Bearcats. High expectations from the fanbase after back to back BCS games even though there was not a lot of talent left in the cupboard (other than Collaros and Pead - the OL was a mess and they had no defense whatsoever). They brought in Butch Jones and he promptly lost 8 games in his first season with only two out of conference victories (one against an FCS squad and the other against a MAC team).

While this year's Cincinnati squad isn't going to be world-beaters, they have improved significantly in the second year of Jones' regime. There were plenty of people calling for Jones' ouster last year at UC and I think that was wrong for many of the reasons that others have posted on this board.

Are we likely to get completely blown out of the water next week at West Virginia? Absolutely. Does that mean PP should be canned at the end of this year? Not remotely.

Reaction Score
I don't know if PP is the answer or not at this point (my suspicion is probably not which I think is a common feeling here). That being said, I'd like to point all of you to last year's Cincinnati Bearcats. High expectations from the fanbase after back to back BCS games even though there was not a lot of talent left in the cupboard (other than Collaros and Pead - the OL was a mess and they had no defense whatsoever). They brought in Butch Jones and he promptly lost 8 games in his first season with only two out of conference victories (one against an FCS squad and the other against a MAC team).

While this year's Cincinnati squad isn't going to be world-beaters, they have improved significantly in the second year of Jones' regime. There were plenty of people calling for Jones' ouster last year at UC and I think that was wrong for many of the reasons that others have posted on this board.

Are we likely to get completely blown out of the water next week at West Virginia? Absolutely. Does that mean PP should be canned at the end of this year? Not remotely.

Whoa whoa, no. Logic is not welcome here.

Get out your torches and let's go find P!!!!!!

angry-mob2.jpg

Reaction Score
It's such a Jeff Hathaway hiring, too.

Did he make the risky hire? Did he take a shot on a young coordinator from a bigtime football school? Who has gone to war trying to recruit the best players in the country?

Of course he didn't. Gee shucks. Why rock the boat, gee whiz.

EXACTLY - this hire was beyond uninspired. I hope somebody sues that thead Hathaway for AD malpractice. A young program needs a young guy who might be able to build something. Realistically how many years does Pasqualoni have? Five? Maybe less.

Reaction Score
I haven't read this entire thread, but count me in as unimpressed by the job P has done so far. Granted, he is trying to win with a walk on QB, which says a lot about the quality of QB recruiting by the previous guy, but we returned way to many starters on defense to look like we did yesterday. The players on D were confused and out of position way to often yesterday, and the QB play was more than good enough to win.

On special teams we have clearly taken a step back on both our returns and coverages. The blocking on our punt returns is non existent.

Reaction Score
EXACTLY - this hire was beyond uninspired. I hope somebody sues that thead Hathaway for AD malpractice. A young program needs a young guy who might be able to build something. Realistically how many years does Pasqualoni have? Five? Maybe less.

Seriously lets see what P does with his own players he recruits.

Uconn strikes me as not a knee jerk program so he probably gets the five years unless the roof falls in.

The shocking thing to me has been how poor the defense has been. It was supposed to be a solid unit coming into the season. Like others have said you have to look at Brown at this point as to why the D hasn't played well.

Reaction Score
Seriously lets see what P does with his own players he recruits.

Uconn strikes me as not a knee jerk program so he probably gets the five years unless the roof falls in.

The shocking thing to me has been how poor the defense has been. It was supposed to be a solid unit coming into the season. Like others have said you have to look at Brown at this point as to why the D hasn't played well.

Brown was the most exciting component of this coaching staff. I am very concerned as to how a good defense is falling apart with him in control. Hopefully, this doesn't devolve into a situation where the Edsall holdovers on the staff become the scapegoats.

Reaction Score
I think we should pin this post because I think will be adding to it for the rest of the season, maybe two seasons....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whatever. It's impossible to discuss this with you. You go on about personal fouls, someone answers, you say you're not blaming 2 fouls on one play on the coaches, then make a point about one of our CBs getting burned over and over and over, 7 times on one series. Yes, we get it. The poor kid was shot.

I think you need to get some help with your reading comprehension, it may be difficult to discuss with me because you can't keep different posters straight. I never said a damn thing about one of the CBs getting burned 7 times on on drive.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Temple says "hi".

I love how people are obsessed with the fact that Edsall lost to Temple last year. Well let's see... after that he ended up winning the league and going to the BCS. Keep focusing on Temple though - that's the takeaway from 2010, the loss to Temple, not a trip to the Fiesta Bowl.

Reaction Score
But there is a lesson to be learned there Whaler...last year's team looked just as bad out of the shoot...and turned it around. Let's see how the season goes before we claim it's a failure.

Reaction Score
But there is a lesson to be learned there Whaler...last year's team looked just as bad out of the shoot...and turned it around. Let's see how the season goes before we claim it's a failure.

+1

Whaler and the OP may end up being correct about this, but posting this after 5 games is idiotic.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's funny. When one especially precient poster back in August asked if Coach P could be 1 and done if he didn't win, he was called absurd and laughable. Now we have six pages saying as much. We just don't have the horses. As well as JMac played yesterday, he missed a ton of open guys. That tells me the game plan is fine.

Reaction Score
I think you need to get some help with your reading comprehension, it may be difficult to discuss with me because you can't keep different posters straight. I never said a damn thing about one of the CBs getting burned 7 times on on drive.

Well, yeah, but you did make the point about two personal fouls on one play, and then you gave me the QBs stats when I said those two fouls weren't bad. How to discuss things with you then?

Reaction Score
I love how people are obsessed with the fact that Edsall lost to Temple last year. Well let's see... after that he ended up winning the league and going to the BCS. Keep focusing on Temple though - that's the takeaway from 2010, the loss to Temple, not a trip to the Fiesta Bowl.

It's not like Edsall didn't get blown out by Navy and others during his tenure here.

Reaction Score
I'll say this every week all year -- it's a worthless thread. Unless there are non-football reasons to file him, P is not being fired during or after this season or during next season. And, no matter what you think of the job he's doing, he deserves that chance and this University will give it to him.
Next time I'll check with you before I start a thread. Thanks.

Reaction Score
+1

Whaler and the OP may end up being correct about this, but posting this after 5 games is idiotic.
You're entititled to your opinion. I'm entitled to mine. BTW, when's the last time a Uconn football team committed ten penalites in a game? While my OP may be premature, the warning signs are there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, yeah, but you did make the point about two personal fouls on one play, and then you gave me the QBs stats when I said those two fouls weren't bad. How to discuss things with you then?

The two personal fouls weren't bad? The Junior play will be on NCAA tapes showing officials to throw the flag on it. I don't know if the roughing the passer call was bogus or not. It doesn't matter if it was or not, since Junior committed a blatant personal foul.

You asked me what I was complaining about. I boiled it down to the numbers.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's not like Edsall didn't get blown out by Navy and others during his tenure here.

It's not like P has a single positive thing to point towards in his tenure. The last coach got blown out in some games over a decade. I guess that means no matter how bad this coach is we can't discuss it.

Reaction Score
You're entititled to your opinion. I'm entitled to mine. BTW, when's the last time a Uconn football team committed ten penalites in a game? While my OP may be premature, the warning signs are there.

Fair enough. But you didn't expect to post this on a message board and not have people disagree with you, did you? I've said it a couple of times now. You may end up being right. But there were also warning signs that Edsall had lost the team last year after the Ville game.

The tone in this thread bothers me. It's ok for people to disagree without the mudslinging.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. But you didn't expect to post this on a message board and not have people disagree with you, did you? I've said it a couple of times now. You may end up being right. But there were also warning signs that Edsall had lost the team last year after the Ville game.
I expected debate and that is a good thing. Just don't appreciate my opinions being called idiotic.

Reaction Score
It's not like P has a single positive thing to point towards in his tenure. The last coach got blown out in some games over a decade. I guess that means no matter how bad this coach is we can't discuss it.

His tenure just started.
It's silly to say he has accomplished nothing.
If you were the AD and felt this way, it would be sniffed out by every prospective coach in America, and UConn would earn a well-deserved reputation as a place where coaching careers go to die.

Reaction Score
The two personal fouls weren't bad? The Junior play will be on NCAA tapes showing officials to throw the flag on it. I don't know if the roughing the passer call was bogus or not. It doesn't matter if it was or not, since Junior committed a blatant personal foul.

You asked me what I was complaining about. I boiled it down to the numbers.

No, I asked you what you were complaining about regarding the two personal fouls. You implied it was the coaches' fault. That's beyond silly because the roughing the passer call was totally bogus and the Junior play was simply a sign of the way things are called today. He didn't launch himself, he went in to dislodge the ball just as players are taught to do. Unfortunately, the player came down and the impact was helmet to helmet. Others here have commented that it was a good play that went against him. Unless you want the coaches to tell players not to rush the QB or not to attempt to hit a WR about to come down with the ball, there is little to be done about those two penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom