Time for a Change | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Time for a Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I talked to a personal friend of Brown's at Vandy that drove down to the game to see him (he is not a UCONN fan...just a friend of Brown). He said that Edsall wanted to keep him. I will take that over what anyone else says.

Why didn't he want to stay?

Reaction Score
that we have compiled an 8 page thread for such a foolish topic is impressive.

Reaction Score
So many of you know that I'm an Edsall apologista so take this for what it's worth. I want one and done with Coach P. Good guy but this team is a mess.

1. The D - Solve your problems with aggression? How about we solve them with fundamentals? There's a reason why Brown was let go from Maryland. Their D was a mess with fundamentals and now so is ours. Too many receivers running free, too many missed tackles and too many drive extending penalties. Enough with the slogans and get back to fundamenals.
+1
2. The offensive line - just offensive. Johnny Mac threw for three bills tonight but who knew.
Eh, too many forced moves. Not enough practice together... yet.
3. The specials are a mess. Teggart with more misses. Kick out bounds. Punting a mess. No kick returns at all.
+1
Louisville stuck with Kragthorpe too long. Cuse stuck with G Rob too long. I am officially on record. Time for P to go.
I was OK with this until the very last sentence. I'll give him some time. It's only been a long month.

Reaction Score
I like upstater. We just argue sometimes. I agree with him a lot too.

You have to be careful with these higher ed types... they are from another planet :)

Academia will warp you. I try to warp all my students.

Reaction Score
No, I typed too fast. I'm saying that our defensive backs, across the board, in general, and even our linebackers, some of them, are small for the level of competition we expect to play at. This isn't talking bad about players, trust me, if a guy is good enough to be on the field at this level, he's very well aware of his own height and weight and how it factors into things.

They're who we have, and I love every single one of them, and every single one gives everything they've got, and I'll never have a bad thing to say about a player that gives everythign they've got.

When you play a 'bend don't break' - don't like that terminiology - but it works to make the point, when you play the systems we did, you can disguise things quite well, like a defensive backfield that is mostly very small, or might be lacking in some instinct and agility (Not ability - agility) when it comes to those football skills that you see in elite players that really aren't taught, they're just there.

I love Gary Wilburn, I love everything he's given and continues to give. But I don't know if there's anything that can be done to help him learn, figure out, when he's got a great position and leverage on a coverage, but doesnt' recognize that the ball is actually coming and gets his hands up and head turned to make a play on the ball.

and you certainly can hide the fact that you're small, when you can jam receivers up in a zone and slow them down from getting a head of steam, when it's time to make a tackle.

I generally agree, except that the bend and don't break will work up to a point, that being where other team is not athletic or have good pass and run scheme. Remember how Navy killed defense, all the White/Slaton/Devine games, Collaros and his 700 yards. Works if USF QB fumbles, throws pick and have very long field most of game. ND would have run up score if not for special plays (Reyes running down the receiver 20 yards down field to get a fumble) but ND didn't. The better the competition (QB & WR) the more bend don't break gets you killed as a defensive unit (offense always makes 1st downs).

I'm not saying that P doesn't need to improve coaching, especially in game "adjustments" after the other team has adjusted to Uconn's defensive schemes; just that bend don't break doesn't work so well when receiver open by 5 yards when he catches the ball 7 yards down the field. My solution, don't have any. Only suggestion is more pressure up the middle and ends more pressure to middle (make QB run to outside rather than step up); call plays on defense early, allow audibles, disguise defensive looks, and more DB's to cover slot guys. Would have subs ready on 3rd down to get them in on time. If I knew how to implement my suggestions, I wouldn't be here typing.

Reaction Score
I generally agree, except that the bend and don't break will work up to a point, that being where other team is not athletic or have good pass and run scheme. Remember how Navy killed defense, all the White/Slaton/Devine games, Collaros and his 700 yards. Works if USF QB fumbles, throws pick and have very long field most of game. ND would have run up score if not for special plays (Reyes running down the receiver 20 yards down field to get a fumble) but ND didn't. The better the competition (QB & WR) the more bend don't break gets you killed as a defensive unit (offense always makes 1st downs).

I'm not saying that P doesn't need to improve coaching, especially in game "adjustments" after the other team has adjusted to Uconn's defensive schemes; just that bend don't break doesn't work so well when receiver open by 5 yards when he catches the ball 7 yards down the field. My solution, don't have any. Only suggestion is more pressure up the middle and ends more pressure to middle (make QB run to outside rather than step up); call plays on defense early, allow audibles, disguise defensive looks, and more DB's to cover slot guys. Would have subs ready on 3rd down to get them in on time. If I knew how to implement my suggestions, I wouldn't be here typing.

I don't think it has to do with better competition or more athleticism. It has more to do with the type of offenses you're facing. If the offense runs the option or wildcat, you have to adjust.

The Patriots use bend-but-don't break principles simply because Belichick is a stat-geek who know that red zone efficiency is the most important stat in football. Once a team comes down to you 25 yard line, the field is compressed, and your DBs have a better chance to break on the ball. and you get a better chance for interceptions down there. And, if the opposing team's drive stalls, they have to kick a 35 yard field goal, which they will only make 75% of the time anyway.

Reaction Score

There's no absolute right way and/or wrong way to approach the game in general, or a single game plan. That's what makes football so amazing to me. I enjoy other sports, all sports really. But there's no game around taht involves the complexity and strategy that is invovled in football.

What's in bold there, is exactly what I think is trying to be installed with these defensive players.

Reaction Score
I don't think it has to do with better competition or more athleticism. It has more to do with the type of offenses you're facing. If the offense runs the option or wildcat, you have to adjust.

The Patriots use bend-but-don't break principles simply because Belichick is a stat-geek who know that red zone efficiency is the most important stat in football. Once a team comes down to you 25 yard line, the field is compressed, and your DBs have a better chance to break on the ball. and you get a better chance for interceptions down there. And, if the opposing team's drive stalls, they have to kick a 35 yard field goal, which they will only make 75% of the time anyway.

Nothing wrong with it at all.

Personally, it's just not my taste, and it's very much reliant on the defensive line and secondary mroe than the linebackers. I'm more of a linebacker kind of guy, that position translates very much to the offensive backfield, but on the other side of the ball.

I'd rather have a bunch of bulls on the defensive line that enjoy the sound of a QB or RB crumbling to the ground, and stable full of 6'3" 235 lb linebackers that can run down and tackle anything with a heartbeat from a standstill to sideline, and bunch of defensive backs that cun run even faster, jump higher, and want nothing more than the ball in their hands - and then go turn them loose.

Can never have enough linebackers like that.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with it at all.

Personally, it's just not my taste, and it's very much reliant on the defensive line and secondary mroe than the linebackers. I'm more of a linebacker kind of guy, that position translates very much to the offensive backfield, but on the other side of the ball.

I'd rather have a bunch of bulls on the defensive line that enjoy the sound of a QB or RB crumbling to the ground, and stable full of 6'3" 235 lb linebackers that can run down and tackle anything with a heartbeat from a standstill to sideline, and bunch of defensive backs that cun run even faster, jump higher, and want nothing more than the ball in their hands - and then go turn them loose.

Can never have enough linebackers like that.

Hmmmm, there are many kinds of bend-but-don't break. The Patriots used to employ a 3-4 and the linebackers were crucial. Now they do a 4-3 and they have different roles.

Reaction Score
I don't follow the patsy's close enough, no interest. When I think bend don't break, I think of Bud Carson 70s steelers, Dungy's 90s vikings and Dungy's bucs that won the SB when he left and Gruden showed up.

Those defenses hinged on defensive line play and secondary play and linebackers that just yo-yo'd back and forth in the gaps and zones and were fundamentally sound tacklers when the ball came their way.

The steelers 70's linebackers weren't so incredible. They were just very, very fundamentally sound tacklers. Put up film of Andy Russell, or Lambert running in coverage or filling a gap and when the ball is in there, they are text book perfect in tackling, every time. Lambert just had the front teeth missing and howled and growled like a maniac, nothing special.

that defensive line though of the steelers, or the bucs, or the vikes? those guys were the real key to those defenses.

THe defensive tackles, are always the most important position on the field though, to me, when it comes to building a sound and strong defense, no matter what the other guys are doing behind them or next to them.

Reaction Score
Posted this after a horrible loss last year. Read through everyone's comments. Other than the D, which is obviously playing much better, not much has changed in a year...except for the level of fan apathy

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Posted this after a horrible loss last year. Read through everyone's comments. Other than the D, which is obviously playing much better, not much has changed in a year...except for the level of fan apathy

Thanks it's the rare random thread bumped which I don't look stupid in.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Coach P isn't going anywhere for this season and next season. So calling for his head right now is very premature.

That being said, I was ok with the hire, but it looks to be a mistake so far.

I can a poor W/L in a transitional year. However, the way they are losing these games is just unacceptable. Blown 4th quarter leads, disorganization on the field, mismanagement of the clock, penalties and the unwilligness to make changes during the game is headscratching.

This is what I said a year ago.

Glad to see all of these have been addressed and we're well on our way to competing for a Big East Championship this season.

Reaction Score
I was wrong about Don Brown and his D. But the basic premise is the same. PP was a bad hire

Reaction Score
The same Iowa St who is losing at home tonight by 30+ in the first half.

Also the same Iowa St that derailed Ok State's title chase.

See, if you looked hard enough, you'd find something in this thread that made you foolish.

Reaction Score
Only defense would be fire GDL now and see if that creates a change in the on field performance. Fire GDL immediately, if there's a noticeable difference for the rest of the season, he stays, if not, he's gone.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Also the same Iowa St that derailed Ok State's title chase.

See, if you looked hard enough, you'd find something in this thread that made you foolish.

Yeah had I known a plane would crash killing OSU personnel the day before the game I would have warned them about ISU.

Reaction Score
This is what I said a year ago.

Glad to see all of these have been addressed and we're well on our way to competing for a Big East Championship this season.

Sorry -- I'm having trouble concentrating on anything you said after "I was o.k. with the hire."

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Sorry -- I'm having trouble concentrating on anything you said after "I was o.k. with the hire."

I'm not even sure what this means. After Edsall went to Maryland and the options appeared to Mark Whipple, KC Keeler and Coach P. It seemed he would be the safe hire to continue where Edsall left off.

I was unhappy with P after the first month last season and a season he hasn't showed me anything to make me feel any different.

Reaction Score
I'm not even sure what this means. After Edsall went to Maryland and the options appeared to Mark Whipple, KC Keeler and Coach P. It seemed he would be the safe hire to continue where Edsall left off.

I was unhappy with P after the first month last season and a season he hasn't showed me anything to make me feel any different.

It didn't mean anything other than that I'm too old to be talking intellingently this late at night.

I can solve that.

Reaction Score
I'm with the Edsall Apologistas here. But what's funny is that P is guilty of the same stuff Edsall was while he was here. Bad offense, inconsistent defense (giving up big plays and 3rd and longs). Only, Edsall was never this bad at clock management.

Pasqualoni is horribly worse than Edsall.

Let's compare Edsall at Maryland to Pasqualoni at UConn.

Pasqualoni had a lackluster first season, but it was a more of a freebie only if things got better in year two.

Edsall had a CATASTROPHIC first season. It wasn't a freebie under any circumstance.

Year two for Pasqualoni just seems to validate Pasqualoni's lackluster year one. We have a defense loaded with seniors and our offensive line, which was a former core compentency, is now our chief liability.

Edsall in year two seems to indicate that Maryland is on its way back to unfilling ACC mediocrity. They are showing signs of life. As much as I hate to say it, Edsall may actually have a real future at Maryland. And he already seems to have a pack of "Leave to Beaver"-type Curmudgeon Apologistas as well to make excuses for him.

So basically, Pasqualoni can't even measure up to Edsall's mediocrity.

In December it will be time to can this guy. If Warde is smart he's out looking for some pledges of money to help pay for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom