throwing in the towel | Page 3 | The Boneyard

throwing in the towel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess my biggest gripe is that regardless of what is said, some people here think that if they were in her shoes there is a 100% chance we would be in the ACC or B1G already. And because we aren't she is automatically a f-up.

From all of what I have seen, I don't think there was much she could have done differently to get results up to this point. She might have been able to say things to better placate people but the deck was/is stacked against us.

Reaction Score
Makes ones wonder... it's contagious?

“@M H v e r 3: Goodbye everyone...for now anyway mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&…
Funny to see WVU fans kissing his @ss. At least they know what a nice looking female looks like.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Makes ones wonder... it's contagious?

“@M H v e r 3: Goodbye everyone...for now anyway mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&…

It's hard to fathom the level of stupidity of message board posters. You seriously can't make this stuff up.

The stories in Penthouse Forum have more basis in fact than the two main realignment idiots have in their rumors.

Watching people fall all over idiots like m.h.v or thedood is embarrassing for the species.

H

Huskieforlife

i think my last 24-48 hours u guys can see i'm about done. i have no way to tell u guys how clueless u are. our leadership failed and they think they did great. we just got left out and the only thing left is a last ditch pitch to the b10 which will be 2 late. fail fail fail fail fail. we had the chance and we mid major blew it.

i would rather knock the rent down and join the c7 then act like all is well and join wake/cuse/pitt/temple/cincy/lville and then add a few.

why u ask? because this leadership has proved they dont want to further uconn. this league will compete with the mwc for 5th best. the mwc will lose 4 in time to the pac and the acc will be a 5th best easy. during this stretch of years, teams in this acc will all be trying to build and get the next invite. the playoff will expand and the power 4 will see money in 18-20 team leagues with semi final conf ship games and so on. i have no faith uconn would have the balls to build and build during those times. we have already showed we would rather be a mid major.

i'm taking it all in now and will be around to just make dick comments every once in a while. hope u all enjoy what happened becuase u didn't press this leadership and a few of u crazies will actually enjoy this whole thing. i have deleted my twitter so u guys cant bitch about it any more. let me know which recruiting thread and such u want me to fix, i will take care of them as u ask. enjoy yourselves, uconn was something i loved and these 2 clown mother fruckers ruined it. they has literally a handful of days to pull a rabbit out of there butts, do u have faith still considering everything so far?

this once proud uconn fan is taking a break, throwing in the towel. i'll come back full time when this leadership makes something happen.

dan
Dan,

as you no this board seems split between the people who like and dislike you. as one of the people who like your posts and great opptimisum. I know your not done, and so does everyone else. just have a drink and #BEGHARDER!!!!!! and #B!GHARDER!!!!!!!! :D

Reaction Score
When did you become a UConn fan? Many of us dealt with years of mid-level 1AA football with a couple of playoff games thrown in. We were the dregs of Big East basketball, cupcakes of the conference. A good public school in a region where not going to a private college meant your parents didn't have cash.

Look where the university stands right now. The campus has been transformed over the past 20 years and Storrs Center will fill the biggest demand of future/present students. Academics have strengthened considerably. We're sitting on a packed trophy case. We have a relatively new 40k seat stadium, elite football facilities and soon-to-be elite basketball facilities. Plans to continue to upgrade the olympic facilities. And an alumni base that is growing quickly - 70-80% increase in enrollment over the past 20 years.

2013 will be a fun year, still have a few teams worth playing against in the conference. 2014? Who knows what the conference landscape will look like by then. If you want to give up now but come running back when we get invited to the ACC or B1G, what kind of statement is that about you?

This is one of the more intelligent things I"ve read around here lately. Especially that first paragraph, because it's absolutely true. In Connecticut, up until the current century, if you were going to UConn.......well there were reasons, and it had to do with not being able to afford any of the multiple other private schools in the northeast and the facilities (aside from the brand new Gampel in 1990) reflected it. The library was in a big plastic bag for years, because bricks were falling off of it. When it rained, and you wanted to go for a run in the field house, the roof leaked and you had to watch out for wet spots on the track. The hockey rink was open air, and had bird frozen into the ice. Memorial stadium field, was the best athletic surface and arena (prior to Gampel) on campus. 1-AA football had been instituted in the late 1970s. Cost-containiment athletics in theory was an epic fail.

The daily campus had regular cartoons in it about falling off the sidewalks on campus into bottomless pits of mud. That has all changed. The school is now a destination top notch public university, and in architecture, appearance, design, and in academics purely - is a very, very nice school.

Thanks for the perspective. The great difficulty lies, in moving forward, is that the phenomenal growth of Husky Mania, which undoubtedly has fueled the growth of the university, in the past two decades- on the national stage of the college landscape, centered on the success of the men's basketball program in the Big East conference, and the Big East conference is no more. It leaves a big wide unknown, and what now question. Are people still going to be interested? Is it UConn itself, and the coaches, athletes, students, and average non-affiliated to the university UConn fans that made it what it is, or was it the big east conference that made Husky Mania? We shall see. I'm confident that UConn can live without the big east conference as it was. In the current landscape of intercollegiate athletics, the only - ONLY driving force is securing the best media rights deal you can get to bring athletic department revenue into your university. With that in mind, and I've spent a long, long time researching this over the past several years, I'm confident that our leadership has done a detailed evaluation of our product, our market, and our needs, and is going to do the best it can for our university based on that goal.

It is certainly the case, that there are conference affiliations, that would absolutely be more beneficial than others, for UConn. To date, it certainly appears that we have not been extending the opportunity to join such an arrangement, and I absolutely would prefer to be a member of the big 10 conference. My ideal, would be a conference that included a division of major public, football playing institutions in teh northeast. COllege educations are going to go through some kind of evolution in the future, the cost is just so out of hand. Public universities are going to lead the way. The cost of a private education undergraduate degree is astronomical. Athletics, and the revenue around athletics can be used to change that and make college sports really about what it's supposed to be about - education.

moving on...

(sorry women's hoops fans, but as huge as women's hoops is locally, it's simply not the national draw to the school).....but with the phenomenal success of the women's hoops program and the local following, you've got huge interest in the university that grew out of the ashes of the mud in the 1980s for that program too, which added to the university's growth. THe women's hoops program was less dependant, much less than the men's program on the big east for it's success, and next in line to that was football. THe football big east conference of the 1990's that existed when we were invited to join, was long gone, before we ever played a big east game. The football program, for many reasons, a little over a decade into 1-A existence, is still starting from scratch in finding a stable home, as was predicted would be the case with the upgrade, way back in the feasibility reports back in 1996. THe football program will continue to draw fans, because so many are invested now, the uconn brand name, is strong locally, and scheduling, is very, very important, and connecting with the existing fan base is very very important in the coming years. As far as I can tell, tehy're trying, although as each day passes, and our future football schedules remain open, I get concerned. But football, is going to continue,a nd we've got our best home schedule ever as 1-A in 2013....beyond that? Still waiting.

That leaves men's basketball. Major crossroads. The biggest piece of the puzzle for me right now, is the conference tournament at Madison Square Garden. THat is so huge right now. Having that week, at the end of every season, to play ball on the floor of MSG, has been part of UConn hoops for a long, long time, and we need it to continue. We aren't going to have the same playing partners anymore in a conference tournament, but having that week in the Garden, regardless of who opponents are, to look forward to every year based on the regular season is so big, and basketball - the NCAA tourney, unlike football postseason, is all about competition on the court....so in a weaker conference, we actually have a much better shot at being eligible for that NCAA tournament every year, and as we all know, once you get there, and start dancing, anything can happen.

I think every UConn alumni, from the 1990s or prior should take a trip up to UConn and see what's there now, the only landmark left that you can orient yourself with if you went there before Gampel was finished, is the library, and even that is hard to recognize.

Back to what made me respond - the post - I wonder, many times, looking at the campus now, if I would have been able to afford to go to UConn now. Athletics, and the revenue aroudn athletics can be used in the future, to make sure that kind of question doesn't really have to be asked, to separate prospective students, and I hope we find a home with like minded institutions.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Criticizing President Herbst for issuing gratuitous public statements that I/we consider ignorant, arrogant and patronizing doesn't make me/us "toddlers", especially when silence or "no comment" would suffice. Just represents that a segment of the fanbase is dissatisfied with the nature of her "leadership".

I don't think its Susan's job to please you. Or this board.

I also believe she has more insight into what is happening than you. So you are coming from a place of relative ignorance.

I also believe that as a president of one the great flagship state Universities, she is more accomplished than you (maybe not, however, I don't know).

In any event, the complaining on this board is silly.

What matters is how well she does her job and pleasing this board is not one of her top priorities, IMHO.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I don't think its Susan's job to please you. Or this board.

I also believe she has more insight into what is happening than you. So you are coming from a place of relative ignorance.

I also believe that as a president of one the great flagship state Universities, she is more accomplished than you (maybe not, however, I don't know).

What matters is how well she does her job and pleasing this board is not one of her top priorities, IMHO.

Thanks for the education. I didn't claim she didn't have insight, or that I'm more accomplished. Interesting conclusions on your part.

And I could care less if she pleases this Board. I do care that she performs her job well. IMHO, hiring Warde and issuing ridiculous public statements make her look ignorant and clueless about how to perform her job, at least as it relates to the administration of our athletics programs.

Those disappointments don't mean that she's failed in promoting Connecticut's case as it relates to conference affiliation behind the scenes. The jury is still out on that. But she hasn't distinguished herself with the public opportunities she's had.

Reaction Score
I kinda liked huskyfandan. I know he's just a kid but he reminded me of a crazy old grandfather.

It's amazing how fast people on here will turn on you, call you a fair weather fan and say hasta la vista like you were a BCU troll.

HFD brought more recruiting info and passion to this board than most ever will.

What happened to taking care of your own?

Reaction Score
It's amazing how fast people on here will turn on you, call you a fair weather fan and say hasta la vista like you were a BCU troll.

He had gone way off the deep end and was making this place unreadable for weeks before he called it quits.

Reaction Score

What happened to sticking to your team through thick and thin?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I appreciate your opinion. So I guess we should shut down the Boneyard? Well it's been a good run.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I appreciate your opinion. So I guess we should shut down the Boneyard? Well it's been a good run.

Yeah. if we can't talk about Susan's press conferences, there really is much else to say...

Unless.... (and I know this is a bit crazy)

Here me out....

How about if we talk about UCONN football and basketball???

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He had gone way off the deep end and was making this place unreadable for weeks before he called it quits.

Exactly.

1) Dan is a good sort. The football recruiting stuff is great. He's got a good sense of humor when he's brief.

2) The svengali act was overplayed, annoying and ultimately bizarre. When you decide to anoint yourself as the leader of a movement, it's a good idea to check behind you occasionally to make sure people are actually following.

3) He'll be back. He's not really gone, but still, he'll be back. I'm sure the lack of people throwing themselves on his self-erected funeral pyre is something of a surprise to him, but he'll be back.

Reaction Score
He provided more recruiting insight than anybody. Really interesting stuff. Usually spot on. Love the passion, but there were the elements of post unreadability and if I can't have it my way I am going to make everybody suffer.

He wanted to fire everybody and instead he fired himself. Too bad.

I miss your posts Dan (well about 50% of them).:)

Reaction Score
He provided more recruiting insight than anybody. Really interesting stuff. Usually spot on. Love the passion, but there were the elements of post unreadability and if I can't have it my way I am going to make everybody suffer.

He wanted to fire everybody and instead he fired himself. Too bad.

I miss your posts Dan (well about 50% of them).:)

His holier-than-thou attitude of "I get how conference realignment works, these idiots in charge know nothing" attitude irritated me. I appreciated his contributions to the board, but he also had a serious lack of respect for people with much more knowledge than him.

It's a lot easier to make wild claims about your superiority when you never have to prove it.

Reaction Score
His holier-than-thou attitude of "I get how conference realignment works, these idiots in charge know nothing" attitude irritated me. I appreciated his contributions to the board, but he also had a serious lack of respect for people with much more knowledge than him.

It's a lot easier to make wild claims about your superiority when you never have to prove it.

Feel better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom