This drives me nuts about Andre Jackson! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

This drives me nuts about Andre Jackson!

Reaction Score
Some people really don't deserve to enjoy this team. First thing they do after a big win over Villanova is run to the Boneyard to crap on Andre Jackson and talk about the team's flaws. Genuinely don't get it, but I guess some people just want to be miserable

Reaction Score
Something I’m hoping Andre puts more focus into.

I think this captures what annoys me the most about these type of posts - and would annoy me even if this team wasn’t off to the best start of any UConn team in more than 20 years and you weren’t talking about arguably the single most important member of that team - it’s the idea that some of you actually seem to think there are things you’re aware of that the players and, more importantly, the coaches, haven’t “put focus into.”

If we could get only get word to the coaching staff that Andre should start taking guys off the dribble and dunking on them we’d really be cooking with gas …

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think this captures what annoys me the most about these type of posts - and would annoy me even if this team wasn’t off to the best start of any UConn team in more than 20 years and you weren’t talking about arguably the single most important member of that team - it’s the idea that some of you actually seem to think there are things you’re aware of that the players and, more importantly, the coaches, haven’t “put focus into.”

If we could get only get word to the coaching staff that Andre should start taking guys off the dribble and dunking on them we’d really be cooking with gas …
But he doesn’t though. That’s what our eyes are telling us. If they are aware of it and actively aren’t pushing him to fix it then they aren’t putting focus on it. This reminds me of Rudy Gay so much. We were an amazing team in 06 too. It didn’t keep Calhoun from constantly ripping into a guy who was an All American the year before and the best player on the team.

Reaction Score
Idk man. This is year 3 and he still struggles to drive in the paint. I think he’s put a lot of energy towards his jumpshot and it’s been working because it’s much better than his freshman year. But I’ve been hammering him getting better on drives since last year and I don’t think we’ve seen any improvement there. Wish he put as much energy there as he does his jumpshot. Think this Nova game just triggered those same feelings as far as his ability to drive to talk about them more.

Guys with his skillset can’t shoot all the time and are successful. But they all can get to the rim for the most part. Scottie Barnes was a lottery pick and didn’t take a three, Ben Simmons became an All Star without one. But they all can use their athleticism to get to the rim at will. Something I’m hoping Andre puts more focus into.
I don't think it has to do with comfort in finishing, success of his floater or a killer instinct (out lack there of) to dunk on people.

I listened to this podcast 1 on 1 with Andre and you'll hear it directly in his own words. I don't think that's who he envisions himself to be. I've given up getting frustrated that he doesn't play the way I'd want him to play. He plays the game the way he enjoys it most. Hurley challenged him to be a productive player for UConn last year, and for the most part he has been.

He's a super utility glue guy, focused on defense and passing.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
@bigknight3 from what I heard he wants to be like Draymond Green and Marcus Smart. Both were great scorers in college though. Smart was NPOY or in the running for it with Bazz. So even if that’s what he envisions himself as he’s not there yet. He has all the intangibles and tools to be one of those guys or a Caron, Meka, Kemba, etc kind of guy for us too.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
But he doesn’t though. That’s what our eyes are telling us. If they are aware of it and actively aren’t pushing him to fix it then they aren’t putting focus on it. This reminds me of Rudy Gay so much. We were an amazing team in 06 too. It didn’t keep Calhoun from constantly ripping into a guy who was an All American the year before and the best player on the team.

Actually, reading that article gave me the impression AJax is far more Jeff Green than Gay.

Couple of opinions to piss off some of y'all:
  • Gay's teams were outhustled come tourney time (including Cuse in BET). Some AJax-level hustle might've led to advancing.
  • If AJax shot 33% from 3 range in a tourney game, he'd have a better FG% than Rash did vs either NC St or GMU.

Reaction Score
You know that playing high level basketball ain't easy, and furthermore to incorporate our suggestions/desires is next to impossible when live action starts. He moves too damn fast to make major changes/adjustments anyway. His play looks instinctual right now and is advanced for a D1 player.

Just saying for AJ to drive more, shoot more 2s and have higher offensive production is asking AJ to change his game completely. Perhaps in the NBA he will be able to adjust better because it will be incorporated into his job description (i.e. security) and of course he will be paid to make changes. Right now all of this reminds me of that Mike Tyson "punched in the mouth" theory.

Right now he is an electric college basketball athlete with remarkable skills, of which offensive production (i.e. points) is not one of them. For UConn and Div 1 he is fine, in fact very good. To me he's still searching for the light switch. I expect him to find it before he leaves us.

Reaction Score
@bigknight3 from what I heard he wants to be like Draymond Green and Marcus Smart. Both were great scorers in college though. Smart was NPOY or in the running for it with Bazz. So even if that’s what he envisions himself as he’s not there yet. He has all the intangibles and tools to be one of those guys or a Caron, Meka, Kemba, etc kind of guy for us too.
"I feel like I can fit wherever the team needs me. I can play the 1 thru 4 on both sides on the ball"

"It's just who I am. I love basketball. Whatever I have to do to win. I look up to Marcus Smart and Draymond green more than Kevin Durant."

"That's more of who I am. I just accept my role and accept who I am as as player."

"It's about accepting who you. If I try to be something I'm not, I'm not going to be an effective player."

When he talks about his role he talks about passing, rebounding, setting screens and defense. Offense wasn't a focus at any point during the interview. So bringing up the scoring of the players that he mentioned misses the point. That's not his focus. He specifically mentioned Smart and Green (defense and utility) vs Durant (offense).

Reaction Score
He fits the team, and the team is what matters. He distributes, rebounds and defends at an elite level. If he turned selfish for NBA scouts, the team suffers immensely.

Reaction Score
Andre Jackson is our Captain and I love so much about him but he does need to understand more about true leadership.
His love for the team and the uniform is clear.
His willingness to take it all on his shoulders, crash, dive, bring it up, facilitate, check.
His love for rubbing the other team's nose in his achievements is disgraceful and immature. Twice now. Bad mojo.
Energy in warm-ups was sky-high led by AJ and that's always a problem in my estimation. It should be anxious, thoughtful and restrained, especially in big games. Everyone was over-excited, jittery and jumpy - that's a lot of wasted energy. I've seen it countless times. They came out flat and flat-footed. Second half also began with them looking sapped. Obviously, we subbed a lot and got jolts of adrenaline to lead us out of the funk.
Andre has some magnificence to him and being Captain, I'm sure he'll eventually get what it really takes to lead the team first, each player second and himself last.

Reaction Score
Andre Jackson is our Captain and I love so much about him but he does need to understand more about true leadership.
His willingness to take it all on his shoulders, crash, dive, bring it up, facilitate, check.
His love for rubbing the other team's nose in his achievements is disgraceful and immature. Twice now. Bad mojo.
Energy in warm-ups was sky-high led by AJ and that's always a problem in my estimation. It should be anxious, thoughtful and restrained, especially in big games. Everyone was over-excited, jittery and jumpy - that's a lot of wasted energy. I've seen it countless times. They came out flat and flat-footed. Second half also began with them looking sapped. Obviously, we subbed a lot and got jolts of adrenaline to lead us out of the funk.
Andre has some magnificence to him and being Captain, I'm sure he'll eventually get what it really takes to lead the team first, each player second and himself last.
Dear lord

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
"I feel like I can fit wherever the team needs me. I can play the 1 thru 4 on both sides on the ball"

"It's just who I am. I love basketball. Whatever I have to do to win. I look up to Marcus Smart and Draymond green more than Kevin Durant."

"That's more of who I am. I just accept my role and accept who I am as as player."

"It's about accepting who you. If I try to be something I'm not, I'm not going to be an effective player."

When he talks about his role he talks about passing, rebounding, setting screens and defense. Offense wasn't a focus at any point during the interview. So bringing up the scoring of the players that he mentioned misses the point. That's not his focus. He specifically mentioned Smart and Green (defense and utility) vs Durant (offense).
I don’t think anyone is asking him to be a 16 PPG scorer or be like KD. Just be proficient enough to be a threat to score when a team gives you an easy basket.

Reaction Score
This is on my Rushmore of worst posts of the season.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
The better someone (or team) is the more we're going to look for those little things that would make them even better - we're Yankees dammit and this his how we do. If he sucked we'd just say he sucks and move on. We reserve the intense scrutiny & criticism for those we love. If I don't bust your chops how will you know I like you? :)

I think we'd just like to see him finish a few of those drives where he dumps off instead - I don't think that's a retooling of his game but a change in mentality. Is it a big deal? No, and it's not really his role either. He's looked amazing this year and those 3s matter, it's gotta hurt when the "worst shooter" hits a dagger. Much more under control than last year too except his Ts.

Don't love the Ts but jeez they seem to be calling them quick this year? I mean we have no idea what he said but he bumped directly into the coach and ref so anything untoward was ill-advised, save that for when the refs aren't looking man! I want the high energy and I think he does have the maturity to rein this in - Coach needs to put his foot down though if he hasn't.

Reaction Score

I was surprised by the lack of stupid takes on this board as I reviewed posts. Then I saw this

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone is asking him to be a 16 PPG scorer or be like KD. Just be proficient enough to be a threat to score when a team gives you an easy basket.

Yesterday was our only game of the season we didn't win by double digits and it was very close with just a few minutes left. Other BE coaches are taking notes, the UConn offense doesn't look as good when you leave Andre Jackson open to put extra bodies on Sanogo

The biggest improvement to Andre's effectiveness in scoring won't be driving and finishing at the rim, it will be doing what he did to ice the game yesterday by taking and making the open jumpers that defense will inevitably give him.

Yes there are times where he should take a layup or a floater that's not from 15 feet away, but our offense is designed to force defenses to let Sanogo feast or to give up open shots. If he can make the open shots and leave everything else the same, his offensive threat level skyrockets a lot more than if he started driving to the hoop

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For context on the season, Jackson is 23-59 for a 39% FG percentage.

He is 9-30 on 3's for 30%.

That leaves him 14-29 on 2-point attempts. He's 8-9 on dunks, meaning his 2-point FG % outside of dunks is 6-20 or 30%.

As I said earlier in this thread, I'm not even trying to apply context to these numbers, but he is empirically really bad if you force him to put the ball on the floor and don't let him dunk.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Andre isn’t the reason we lost or anything like that. But games like this is the reason he needs to be able to proficiently score. He’s our most talented player and the leader. When things get tight it’d be great for him to take over as a scorer when everyone else can’t get shots to fall. It can’t be Sanogo.

Love Jackson and he has all the ability to be another legend here.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
@navery12 lol I don’t know why you dislike the post. Do you not want Andre to be a legend?

This is a game Shabazz takes over. A game Kemba takes over. AJ Price. Ben Gordon. Etc. This team needs Andre to be that to go along with his other amazing skills. You didn’t watch most of those names live though so maybe you wouldn’t get it.

Reaction Score
@navery12 lol I don’t know why you dislike the post. Do you not want Andre to be a legend?

This is a game Shabazz takes over. A game Kemba takes over. AJ Price. Ben Gordon. Etc. This team needs Andre to be that to go along with his other amazing skills. You didn’t watch most of those names live though so maybe you wouldn’t get it.
I'm going to dislike every one of your posts in this thread where you continue to come in here and crap on Andre Jackson. I'd love for him to be a UConn legend but your comparisons for Andre Jackson are bizarre, he's none of those guys

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Andre Jackson, Jr.:. "Better shooter! Better shot!"

This is how he plays. It is the best.

Except when the team leans on him to be the "Best Shooter! "Best Shot!".

That is an overall failure of of our offense.

Reaction Score
He shot 12 threes today because they just sagged off him. He made 4, so not terrible. But 12 threes, on 14 shots total, just feels like way too many.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm going to dislike every one of your posts in this thread where you continue to come in here and crap on Andre Jackson. I'd love for him to be a UConn legend but your comparisons for Andre Jackson are bizarre, he's none of those guys
I don’t think holding people to high standards that they can achieve is crapping on them.

He can be if he tried. He’s a special talent.

Tried may be the wrong word. But just focusing on certain things and having the right mindset. Someone that talented settling for wanting to be a Draymond isn’t okay and Hurley shouldn’t accept that. Make him be better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom