the Wussification of CT. High School football | Page 5 | The Boneyard

the Wussification of CT. High School football

Reaction Score
OK...temp was in the 20's. Wind chill was supposed to go as low as minus 10. So let's not rewrite the narrative as if it was a little cold. HS football is a family affair, much more than college or pro. So their younger siblings are going to be in sub zero wind chills for up to 4 hours. Spare me the " I fought fires in all weather"...you were an adult getting paid. Spare me the "when I played BS"....self righteous to say the least. Guess what? When I moved to Colorado, I was surprised they don't play HS football on Thanksgiving.

It was cold but it actually wasnt that bad the sun was out. What high school game is 4 hrs long. Dress for the conditions its pretty simple. Calling someone self righteous for having an opinion sounds a little self righteous to me, going to the game is a choice as is playing football.

Reaction Score
It was cold but it actually wasnt that bad the sun was out. What high school game is 4 hrs long. Dress for the conditions its pretty simple. Trying to force people to change their opinion sounds a little self righteous, going to the game is a choice as is playing football
Not trying to change your opinion...just offering mine. But calling teenagers wusses is more than self righteous. If you disagree....so be it. Predicting the weather vs actual weather it is better to err on the side of caution. Easy enough to look back and say it wasn't that bad. How long....the game, the halftime....walking to and from the car. I would think you could figure out that could easily add up to 4 hours. So yeah adults can tough it out...I say good call. If that makes me a wuss, so be it. I fought for my country...never in the cold because it did not get cold in SE Asia.

Reaction Score
None of the locals up in NH are calling players/coaches wusses for cancelling the annual Turkey Day game between Keene and Monadnock. Officials were concerend about the cold; but, cited field conditions as the reason for cancellation. Apparently, officials checked out both the field conditions in Swanzey (scheduled location) and Keene and someone actually noted their were actual frost heaves on Monadnock's field while Keene's field had the consistency of frozen slush. Neither field was playable. Nearby Keene St. College has a turf field; but, the college only has soccer (and lax) teams and thus the field is not lined for football. That was the right call regardless of anyone's sensitivities.

TJT

Reaction Score
Who said the games were being rescheduled because of the players?

They're more likely concerned about the fans, parents, students who watch -- without getting to run around, often on metal bleachers -- in bitter cold.

I have read that Thanksgiving games across New England were postponed mostly for the fans. It was however not necessarily done for their comfort. There was a fear that cold weather would severely impact attendance resulting in low ticket sales. Most area high schools heavily rely on the income from this one game to fund most of their athletic programs. Cash strapped schools could not risk a possible big hit to revenues.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom