the Wussification of CT. High School football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

the Wussification of CT. High School football

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I agree that playing a high school football game is as important as stopping a raging fire and both should absolutely go on in cold weather because they're the same thing.

Reaction Score
I'm far from the type of person who wants to promote hyper-masculinity at all costs, but I also think there comes a point where it's OK for things to be important because we say they're important, no matter how arbitrary you think they might be. IMO, the people who constantly trip over themselves to remind us that football is just a game and I'm too cool to care about anything superficial are missing the bigger picture.

I took the OP as somewhat tongue in cheek. Reasonable people should be able to differentiate between something that poses a safety risk and something that just causes discomfort. Playing football in the cold is the second thing. Watching football in the cold, provided you dress warm and are not elderly, is also the second thing. We're not talking about truly dangerous temperatures here. If you don't want to go to the game, don't go. Other people might actually, believe it or not, find a thrill in braving the elements. The cold is one of those harmless things that we like to overreact to. Then we act surprised when there is something we should actually be reacting to and nobody bothers to take action (s/o climate change!).

Things like this might seem progressive but they are not.

Reaction Score
Mixed feelings about this. I remember many times freezing my butt off playing for Rockville. Don't ever recall a game being cancelled, but I get it.

Another note, if the guy is truly a retired firefighter, it's probably best to not question the size of his stones. Unless he's a Manchester guy running million dollar quints to Bidwell Street for 30 medicals a day. Then we can poke a little fun.

Reaction Score
This thread is pretty far off-topic, but in regards to OP I do think for the most part the games should be played on thanksgivings. Many kids best memories are of games played on frozen grass/turf, I don't believe these games were rescheduled because of the kids but because of the fans and administrators. The game should be about the kids, it's many seniors last game so let em play. That being said, I'm no longer one of those kids and am not mad they rescheduled for tonight lol.

Reaction Score
You play the game rain, snow, sleet, hot or cold, night or day...except when lightening...which may actually kill you....or truly unusual temperature extremes... where even short exposure coul cause injury such as frost bite. 17F degrees is not that.

Playing in cold weather is a mind game. Nobody wants to hit or be hit in the truly freezing cold, but you have to and you do, and your body adjusts.

Reaction Score
I get it but this still made me laugh out loud (probably dating myself as well):

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Mixed feelings about this. I remember many times freezing my butt off playing for Rockville. Don't ever recall a game being cancelled, but I get it.

Another note, if the guy is truly a retired firefighter, it's probably best to not question the size of his stones. Unless he's a Manchester guy running million dollar quints to Bidwell Street for 30 medicals a day. Then we can poke a little fun.

Are you on food stamps? /s

polycom

Reaction Score
Not sure what this means. You must be from South Windsor. The three years I played we kicked the out of SW.

Anyhow, I lived on the other side of the tunnel.

When I played you all were horrible. You can't say I'm not sure what this means then know exactly where I'm from...ha

Reaction Score
When I played you all were horrible. You can't say I'm not sure what this means then know exactly where I'm from...ha
Ah, I can easily pick out someone from SW. Do you still wear skinny jeans cuffed at the bottom, Chauncey?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is Manchester cancelling the T-day race?

Massachusetts is cancelling games too. Part of me thinks it is lame, like OP. Part of me thinks that as a society we may finally be valuing these silly games appropriately. Just play them all on Saturday. It will be 45. No big deal.

polycom

Reaction Score
Ah, I can easily pick out someone from SW. Do you still wear skinny jeans cuffed at the bottom, Chauncey?

My jeans are fitted...ha

Reaction Score
Prep is still playing at West Haven on Thursday. Tough kids.

On the other hand, Kevin Durant is such a wuss.

Reaction Score
You play the game rain, snow, sleet, hot or cold, night or day...except when lightening...which may actually kill you....or truly unusual temperature extremes... where even short exposure coul cause injury such as frost bite. 17F degrees is not that.

Playing in cold weather is a mind game. Nobody wants to hit or be hit in the truly freezing cold, but you have to and you do, and your body adjusts.

I did not play HS football; but, I did play HS soccer playoff games in snow and below freezing temps in Connecticut in the '90's. I like the cold (hate the heat) as I run warm to begin and those games where character building and a bit of intimidation as I and several others on my team would play those games in just our regular kit without without long-sleeves and sweats underneath for those games. Subbing-out was the only bad part as one went from warm to freezing in seconds. But, there's character and then there's character and stupidity. Once the temps get to frost-bite (or heat stroke) territory or the field becomes hazardous with too much rain, or the air is harmful from forest fires, etc. safety should be put in front of masculinity.

So, for example, playing the the Ansonia v. Naugy game on Thursday in the Valley with a temp of 25F, winds of 20 MPH and a windchill of 10 F should be bearable for most. But, playing the Monadnock v. Keene game in Swanzey NH with a temp of 15F, winds of 30 MPH and windchill of -10 F where frost bite can take place in less than 30 minutes is getting into the foolish realm.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But, playing the Monadnock v. Keene game in Swanzey NH with a temp of 15F, winds of 30 MPH and windchill of -10 F where frost bite can take place in less than 30 minutes is getting into the foolish realm.

PS - Just read that League and school officials have cancelled the Monadnock v. Keens Thanksgiving game. Two reasons were cited, wind chill as noted (their forecast is for -20 F to start and -5 F by the end of the game) and unplayable field conditions as both schools have grass fields and after a very wet fall followed by snow last week and this week, the field surface is cratered like the moon and will have the consistency of concrete on Thursday.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You idiot. This isn’t a tough guy issue this is a serious health issue. Enjoy walking up hill both ways barefoot to your gathering tomorrow when it’s 10 degrees out.

Reaction Score
Just move all games up to Memorial Day Weekend already and be done with it. The temp might reach a bone curdling 75 degrees but we will find some way to move the games to the 4th of July.

Reaction Score
Prep is still playing at West Haven on Thursday. Tough kids.

On the other hand, Kevin Durant is such a wuss.

Won't be such a wuss if he signs with the Knicks ;).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom