the Wussification of CT. High School football | Page 4 | The Boneyard

the Wussification of CT. High School football

Reaction Score
I have to say I thought it was kind of wussy to not play on thanksgiving because it was too cold, too. My old high school in Massachusetts played its rival for the 93rd consecutive year on Thanksgiving morning. In that time only one game was moved to the following Saturday as a result of a surprise blizzard that closed roads and made it impossibe for the visitors to get to the game. I watched that game in every kind of weather. Yesterday was friggin’ cold but hardly unplayable at least for the other guys. My guys had their issues!

C

Chief00

Playing in the heat, rain or cold:
It’s not pleasant but it’s football. Some of the most memorable games you will play on any level is when you have to adjust your game to weather conditions. How well or poorly you do that tells a story. Why is this even a question to the most casual of fans? Just go back to the UMass game and witness how Randy butchered that adjustment by translating it to no forward pass.

Reaction Score
I went to the Ansonia - Naugatuck game yesterday. It was very cold but I dressed for it and it was one of the best games I've seen in this series. This was the 119th game between the two teams. There was a very good crowd at the game and the score was tied in the 4th quarter. Ansonia won but Naugatuck played a very competitive game. The turkey tasted even better after that game.:)

Reaction Score
Who is more likely to be colder at a football game in freezing temps - the players who are running around and tackling all game, or the people (including little kids and elderly) sitting on their butts in the stands for 3 hours?

Decisions to postpone are based on that too - sorry if that's too wussy for the OP. SMH

Then don’t go, if you go dress for the conditions wear layers drink coffeee or hot chocolate pretty simple. High school games don’t take 3 hrs btw.

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs: Perhaps it really is time to change tradition of Thanksgiving football in Connecticut

> Lightning draws close: Clear the field. There is an art in this. Depending on road and field conditions, sometimes you can sneak in a game. What’s too cold is argumentative. This much we know. If it’s zero Fahrenheit and the wind is blowing 15 mph for a wind chill of minus-19, exposed skin can freeze in 30 minutes. Unless you’re drunk or a phony machismo cowboy, we can agree that’s too cold to play and sit in the stands for two hours.

Where the line to play falls based on forecasts of temperature is not a hard and fast one. With heat stroke early in the season and legal and health concerns, administrators have grown more careful. Can it lead to an element of over-caution? Sure, and in this case it did. Yet the fact that safety is paramount is not weak nor stupid. And for heaven’s sake, it’s not indicative of the wussification of America.<<

So there!:p:D

Reaction Score
Actually I do think it was pretty silly to postpone or move games due to temps in the 20s. I mean seriously? And yet they will play their dopey championship games on Tuesday night and other nights in December regardless of weather. Personally I always hope we get a blizzard on “championship” day that requires postponement followed by another on makeup day. Of course we never get snow freezing temps or heavy rain in December in Ct. oy!

Reaction Score
Girls powder puff games were played on Thursday while pansy men had to change their games to the night before. Society and younger generation have really gone the wussy route. Green bay, Chicago, buffalo should build domes so the new generation doesn't have to play in the cold.

Doesn't anyone remember the state championship games like 6 years ago when it was in the teens/20s. Grow a pair and play in the elements

Reaction Score
Schools Move Thanksgiving Football Games Due to Cold

Someone commented on another thread that 3-4 star players from CT. could measure up with talented players from elsewhere around the country>
Well THIS latest story has now proved those commenters to be wrong. Across the State, schools are cancelling or rescheduling games because it's going to be too cold. Really? These kids have practiced in 90+ degree weather, rain, wind, etc, but because it's going to be cold, the little "snowflakes" and the administators are making sure the chldren won't be exposed to some wind and cold. No wonder the talent pool, here, is so shallow. No one wants to suck it up and play football. I'm betting that schools in Ohio, West Virginia, Michigan, PA. and other rust belt football states, are laughing at the wimps from Connecticut.Schools Move Thanksgiving Football Games Due to Cold

If the premise is that talented players in Connecticut can't measure up. How does this affect that premise? Does it make Connecticut kids less talented?

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Girls powder puff games were played on Thursday while pansy men had to change their games to the night before. Society and younger generation have really gone the wussy route. Green bay, Chicago, buffalo should build domes so the new generation doesn't have to play in the cold.

Doesn't anyone remember the state championship games like 6 years ago when it was in the teens/20s. Grow a pair and play in the elements

It's just high school sports. Most of these kids won't go beyond senior year. Who cares! All it would be is a memory to these kids. I am not trying to cheapen that but in the end do you really think that if they play in this game they are going to be less of a man. That our society is going to fall apart.

I teach middle school and coach at that age level... I see parents do far greater harm to these kids on a day in/day out basis by making sports in general their number one priority in life. Win at all cost. An education is secondary to their lives. I think the problem is with parents and their over inflated self worth based on what their kids accomplish on the field. Some of us on this board need to get over ourselves and do something that impacts society in a postive way outside of sports.

Reaction Score
It's just high school sports. Most of these kids won't go beyond senior year. Who cares! All it would be is a memory to these kids. I am not trying to cheapen that but in the end do you really think that if they play in this game they are going to be less of a man. That our society is going to fall apart.

I teach middle school and coach at that age level... I see parents do far greater harm to these kids on a day in/day out basis by making sports in general their number one priority in life. Win at all cost. An education is secondary to their lives. I think the problem is with parents and their over inflated self worth based on what their kids accomplish on the field. Some of us on this board need to get over ourselves and do something that impacts society in a postive way outside of sports.

How many of these kids would wanna not play on thanksgiving, you think they want their games cancelled especially seniors, its about the kids right, oh yeah thats right lets cancel Thanksgiving games and not give these kids a voice our voices matter.

Reaction Score

I dont disagree with your point of view at all but come on its a football game on Thanksgiving morning that will be done by noon, not a single player or coach I know would ever wanna cancel a game due to the cold.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Oh my gosh... the games were rescheduled weren't they? And by the way those of us who have high school students know that allowing kids less then 18 years old make decisions like this is a recipe for disaster. Their decision making lacks common sense a great deal of the time.

Reaction Score
Oh my gosh... the games were rescheduled weren't they? And by the way those of us who have high school students know that allowing kids less then 18 years old make decisions like this is a recipe for disaster. Their decision making lacks common sense a great deal of the time.

So are you saying their stupid and not capable of making decisions its cold weather not a blizzard stop being dramatic and trying to make people change their opinion. Its a one hour football game not a big deal.

Reaction Score
I dont disagree with your point of view at all but come on its a football game on Thanksgiving morning that will be done by noon, not a single player or coach I know would ever wanna cancel a game due to the cold.
Are you illiterate? They were rescheduled, not cancelled

Reaction Score
And by the way those of us who have high school students know that allowing kids less then 18 years old make decisions like this is a recipe for disaster. Their decision making lacks common sense a great deal of the time.

Ummm.... I see an awful lot of situations where the same can be said of adults ;)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This thread leaves me cold. As someone who played a brass instrument in a marching band on some freezing Thanksgiving morning in the long ago, I wager its worse sitting in the stands than playing the sport. Slapping a metal freezing mouthpiece against your lips isn't a real turn on.

Chances are the date changes had a bit more to do with fans than players, but potential liability for school systems also might be part of it. It is supposed to be a spectator sport so fans do count in decision making. The overall macho view of a few posters, including the OP, way overblows the meaning of football or any sport in the scheme of things IMHO. I've sat through some horrible weather games, rain, snow, hot, cold and wondered if it's really worth it. Scoe and CTFire are probably the guys who rip their shirts off in 0 degree weather.

Reaction Score
This thread leaves me cold. As someone who played a brass instrument in a marching band on some freezing Thanksgiving morning in the long ago, I wager its worse sitting in the stands than playing the sport. Slapping a metal freezing mouthpiece against your lips isn't a real turn on.

Chances are the date changes had a bit more to do with fans than players, but potential liability for school systems also might be part of it. It is supposed to be a spectator sport so fans do count in decision making. The overall macho view of a few posters, including the OP, way overblows the meaning of football or any sport in the scheme of things IMHO. I've sat through some horrible weather games, rain, snow, hot, cold and wondered if it's really worth it. Scoe and CTFire are probably the guys who rip their shirts off in 0 degree weather.

No one said the band had to be there settle down.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
No one said the band had to be there settle down.
Right Chief. And no one says football is really all that important. Read a good book.

Reaction Score
Right Chief. And no one says football is really all that important. Read a good book.

You can't start a sentence with and not to mention capitalizing and.

Reaction Score
OK...temp was in the 20's. Wind chill was supposed to go as low as minus 10. So let's not rewrite the narrative as if it was a little cold. HS football is a family affair, much more than college or pro. So their younger siblings are going to be in sub zero wind chills for up to 4 hours. Spare me the " I fought fires in all weather"...you were an adult getting paid. Spare me the "when I played BS"....self righteous to say the least. Guess what? When I moved to Colorado, I was surprised they don't play HS football on Thanksgiving.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom