The World Cup Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

The World Cup Thread

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm lazy, what scenario does Arg need to undeservedly move on?
They'd need Nigeria to beat Iceland tomorrow or draw them. Then they'd need to win their next game and have a higher GD than Nigeria. Since they'd be playing Nigeria, they could do that on their own. However, they are currently -3.

If Iceland wins tomorrow, that puts Argentina in a tougher spot. They'd need to win, have Iceland lose to Croatia, and make up a higher GD.

Reaction Score
Thanks! Arg looks terrible but would be fun to see Messi with a sliver of hope to play for

Reaction Score
Argentina has been very disappointing so far. Luckily they can still advance. Must win v Nigeria and then hope Iceland draws or loses v Croatia. If Iceland wins, then it’s goal diff. between Ice and Arg. (Iceland currently has a 1 goal advantage).

This tournament could be wide open based on how the ‘big’ teams have looked so far, but I have a feeling the cream will rise to the top in the knockout rounds.

Reaction Score
Germany.... are you kidding me? What an insane finish, playing a man down. This sets up for two intense games on Wednesday... all 4 teams have a msthematical shot of advancing. Would love for Mexico to lose by 2 to Sweden and Germany to win by 2 v S. Korea... Landon will be in tears.

Same with Group D (Croatia -already thru, Nigeria, Iceland, and Argentina)... all have a very realistic chance of advancing. Pretty entertaining WC so far, with one exception.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
England hammering Panama. 4-0 with 5 to play in the first half.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Unreal....how flipping terrible were we that we couldn't qualify from CONCACAF. Panama is an emabarrasment and CR is laying an egg. Mexico is holding their own, but they usually do until knock out. I can't believe we couldn't qualify over Panama......

Reaction Score
This game is just a freight train that got out of control. Also a sign of how things can be when refs actually call fouls and penalties against Panama (something the US rarely gets in CONCACAF).
But really, it’s a sign of how bad things really were with US Soccer this last cycle.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The Three Lions are charging on!!!!!!!!
The D is going to have to tighten to stop those sneaky Belgian runs but the set plays for England have been impressive (even if Panama sucked!)

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Note to Sweden defender: consider refraining from insanely fouling in the last minute!
Head bang
Reminded me of Egypt against Uruguay. They had the draw and then committed two stupid fouls. One resulted in Cavani hitting the post and the second resulted in the winning goal in the waning minutes.

However, that was one heck of a Free Kick by Kroos

Reaction Score
The Three Lions are charging on!!!!!!!!
Perhaps, but England was not impressive sliding past a not so great Tunisia and Panama means almost nothing given they "sucked" (your term). Even my most overzealous English friends and ex-colleagues have unusually yet reasonably taken a wait-and-see approach. Quoting one, "we beat rubbish so far". Another, "... don't expect to beat Belgium, but we usually lose when I think we'll win".
Time will tell ...

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but England was not impressive sliding past a not so great Tunisia and Panama means almost nothing given they "sucked" (your term). Even my most overzealous English friends and ex-colleagues have unusually yet reasonably taken a wait-and-see approach. Quoting one, "we beat rubbish so far". Another, "... don't expect to beat Belgium, but we usually lose when I think we'll win".
Time will tell ...

That is going to be one of the most interesting matches of the group phase. Belgium has been impressive as well, but is it for the same reasons? Other groups have two weak teams. Spain and Portugal are the only quality sides in Group B.

I think this is one of the better teams England has fielded in a long time, and I think the overall field is lacking any great teams. It's as good a chance to win a WC as they are likely to get. I don't see any clear favorite.

The winner between England and Belgium gets a really easy draw with the second place team from Group H, which is not strong. But even the 2nd place finisher will be favored over the winner of Group H. I think both teams should get to round of 8. Likewise Spain and Portugal would both be favored over anyone in Group A.

Group E and F face each other, and that will be brutal. Group C and D will be interesting as well. If Argentina can get through as the second place team they'd meet up with France.

Reaction Score
I think this is one of the better teams England has fielded in a long time, and I think the overall field is lacking any great teams. It's as good a chance to win a WC as they are likely to get. I don't see any clear favorite.

100% agree

Reaction Score
I think this is one of the better teams England has fielded in a long time, and I think the overall field is lacking any great teams. I don't see any clear favorite.
God Bless the Three Lions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed, and significantly helped by comparable youth and consequently relatively less inflated egos. It's early, but Southgate may deserve some credit for player selection, management on and off the field, etc. Whether England has as much chance as any other team will obviously be determined on the field, but gtcam suggests some god may bless the Three Lions. So, there's that ... ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Agreed, and significantly helped by comparable youth and consequently relatively less inflated egos. It's early, but Southgate may deserve some credit for player selection, management on and off the field, etc. Whether England has as much chance as any other team will obviously be determined on the field, but gtcam suggests some god may bless the Three Lions. So, there's that ... ;)
Hopefully for them, it's a soccer, er, football god. ;)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
1. Spain v the 2. russkies
2. portugal v 1. Uruguay
Tough choices to support, nyet!

Both the Iberian sides are going to win anyway. And those would be the teams I would root for as well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
1. Spain v the 2. russkies
2. portugal v 1. Uruguay
Tough choices to support, nyet!
I agree половинный. The first game has one of my hate teams going through guaranteed. But Uruguay in the 2nd all day long.

Reaction Score
I agree половинный. The first game has one of my hate teams going through guaranteed. But Uruguay in the 2nd all day long.
Only agree with половинный (half)? No doubt supporting Uruguay, and highly doubtful too many non-russkies truly support the russkies. Like you apparently, some people will root against Spain.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom