The World Cup Thread

I agree половинный. The first game has one of my hate teams going through guaranteed. But Uruguay in the 2nd all day long.
Only agree with половинный (half)? No doubt supporting Uruguay, and highly doubtful too many non-russkies truly support the russkies. Like you apparently, some people will root against Spain.

NGA-ARG penalty: Not entirely unreasonable in the box, yet possible reaction to FIFA putting refs on call regarding holding/gridiron tackles post ENG-PAN ? ? ?

Arg-France. Two underperforming teams square off Saturday. I think France has a better midfield and should pull through

There could be a Messi v Ronaldo quarterfinal. Now come on.... who doesn’t want that.... a little twist on El Classico.

Contact was almost entirely initiated by the Nigerian player.
"almost entirely"? "initiated by the Nigerian player"? Really?

Headed toward's Argentina's goal, what I still see is both Marscherano and his Nigerian opponent appeared to be jointly moving together as Marscherano attempted to step in, put on the brakes and his arms wrap 'round the Nigerian as the latter's progress continues and he pushes off. Debatable call, yes, but "Contact was almost entirely initiated by the Nigerian player" appears similarly questionable.

Edited to fix video:

Last edited:
I'd like to watch the Mexico v. Sweden game, but I hate the announcers so much I'll put on Germany v. Korea. I can't stand the play-by-play guy. Everything is based and/or forced. He's like the John Sterling of soccer. I'm sure I insulted a soccer legend, but ugggh.

Yeah, he stinks. But they pretty much all stink. The only one I give a pass to is JP but that's more due to his long tradition of existence. Maybe try Telemundo?

What a crazy morning! Sweden had lots of missed chances on the first half and they laid the hammer on the second half. After that third goal I bet a lot of Mexican fans were sweating it out. Had Germany scored, and not allowed two late goals to SK, Mexico would have been knocked out! Crazy!

Second round of games will be just as good, hopefully. It's possible Brazil gets knocked out too.

Only group after that to watch is H.

In the end, it's going to be an all Europe/South American knock out round. Only Mexico and one of Japan/Senegal will be the non European or South American team. Pretty nuts.

ZooCougar

Shut Up Carl.
Yeah, he stinks. But they pretty much all stink. The only one I give a pass to is JP but that's more due to his long tradition of existence. Maybe try Telemundo?
I like JP Dellacamera. He always is well prepared. He’s been calling games since at least the 1990 WC qualifying campaign.

So one side of the bracket is stacked with powerhouse teams and tomorrow could add Belgium/England and possibly Colombia. Wow!! Uruguay, Portugal, Argentina, France, Brazil, and Mexico already there....wow!

Spain is sitting over on their side of the bracket... giggling. Their first ‘major’ test will be in the semi-final.... maybe.

Can def see Croatia moving to the Final 4. Modric and Rakitic is a deadly CM combo.

Colombia-England will be an absolute burner, depending on James' health

HuskyHawk

Hoping to see something that looks like basketball
Some good TV tomorrow as I sit in the AC and avoid the heat.
France vs Argentina at 10:00 and Uraguay vs Portugal at 2:00