The Top 16 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Top 16

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wonder as long as Syracuse makes it to Friday... and Miami makes it to Saturday in Greensboro if they keep their positions.

Reaction Score
I like the timing of the reveal. It makes the conference tournaments across the board more interesting as early upsets could have impact on the Top 16 just revealed.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I'll just say this.

If the Huskies, Bulldogs, Beavers and Canes end up together in Albany, that's one helluva 4 team tourney.

Reaction Score

Biggest movers since Feb. 11:

Up: Notre Dame (+3), Miami (+3)
Down: Marquette (from #9 to out)

What did UCONN do wrong for the committee to drop them to #4 since last week? They were forecast to play the #7 seed & now they have #5 Miss State in their bracket.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I still don't understand this stuff.
UConn has 2 losses to 2 other #1 seeds. The Golden Domers have 3 losses, 1 against UConn and a BAD loss against UNCheats.
Is it only because they are in the ACC and we are in the AAC? Will the #1 Seeds change if Louisville or the GDers don't make it to the ACC Championship game?

Reaction Score
You can go ahead and draw in Baylor, which is going to get beat by the first team that has some athletic ability and plays intelligently. It's their kryptonite and that kryptonite doesn't exist in the Big 12. You can draw in UConn. The conference giveth and the taketh away. Otherwise UConn would be the #1 overall seed. Lots still to be decided in the ACC (personally I don't think ND will be using those frequent flyer miles) SEC and Pac 12. I'm not a big believer in Oregon either. None of the current #1 seeds should fear meeting them in a 1 vs 2 matchup. Unless the game is moved from Portland to Eugene.

Reaction Score
I was at Gary Blair’s radio show when the reveal dropped. He noted that except for UConn, it’s all P5 teams. Then he said UConn is a P5 by itself.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Biggest surprise for me was Iowa jumping to a #2 seed.

Agree. Iowa/NC St./MD all in contention for final #2 seed right now it seems. MD won B10, but Iowa beat MD in their only meeting. Assuming NC State loses in ACC semis to either ND or Louisville, you'd think it might go to whomever wins B10 tourney between Iowa and MD? (Unless of course, it's my Scarlet Knights!) Oregon St could also potentially sneak in there if they win Pac 10?

Centerstream

Reaction Score
What did UCONN do wrong for the committee to drop them to #4 since last week? They were forecast to play the #7 seed & now they have #5 Miss State in their bracket.
Actually UConn moved up from 5 to 4 for the Committee's top 16.
This is not related to any "weekly" poll or bracketology.

Reaction Score
You can go ahead and draw in Baylor, which is going to get beat by the first team that has some athletic ability and plays intelligently. It's their kryptonite and that kryptonite doesn't exist in the Big 12. You can draw in UConn. The conference giveth and the taketh away. Otherwise UConn would be the #1 overall seed. Lots still to be decided in the ACC (personally I don't think ND will be using those frequent flyer miles) SEC and Pac 12. I'm not a big believer in Oregon either. None of the current #1 seeds should fear meeting them in a 1 vs 2 matchup. Unless the game is moved from Portland to Eugene.
Still a fair number of non believers in Oregon--not sure why that is? Not sure if that means non-believer(s) in the PAC-12? In any case, I still see ASU & UCLA as extremely difficult teams to play for any #1 or #2 seed. I wouldn't want either of those teams in my bracket.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
UConn has 2 losses to 2 other #1 seeds. The Golden Domers have 3 losses, 1 against UConn and a BAD loss against UNCheats.
Is it only because they are in the ACC and we are in the AAC? Will the #1 Seeds change if Louisville or the GDers don't make it to the ACC Championship game?

They're clearly placing more value on the quality wins vs the losses. Also, I think they really want to set up the possible UConn-Miss St rematch if it makes sense.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Notre Dame has a huge edge over UConn in terms of RPI top 25 and top 50 wins. Quality wins earn you extra leeway on a (relatively) "bad" loss.

But putting ND #3 ahead of UConn didn't affect the bracket one bit. UConn is still in Albany and is still paired with #6 Mississippi St.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Well, they were a #1 seed last week in the reveal, so they had to be in the top 4. Or am I confused as usual?
Based on their graphic, they moved from a #2 seed to a #1 seed in this reveal.

Plebe

Reaction Score
They're clearly placing more value on the quality wins vs the losses. Also, I think they really want to set up the possible UConn-Miss St rematch if it makes sense.
No, they don't care per se about setting up a rematch. That is not a factor.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Notre Dame has a huge edge over UConn in terms of RPI top 25 and top 50 wins. Quality wins earn you extra leeway on a (relatively) "bad" loss.

But putting ND #3 ahead of UConn didn't affect the bracket one bit. UConn is still in Albany and is still paired with #6 Mississippi St.
Personally I think head to head should be a bigger factor...but then how would that work out for Louisville and their loss to ND, so nevermind...

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
No, they don't care per se about setting up a rematch. That is not a factor.

I disagree. I believe they absolutely consider such things, as long as it falls within reasonable seeding guidelines. They want compelling matchups.

Reaction Score
Based on their graphic, they moved from a #2 seed to a #1 seed in this reveal.
Thanks! Charlie Creme had them as a #1 Albany seed, AP has them at a #2 ranking, & the selection committee moved them from #5 to #4. They are all over the place!!

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
One has to think, assuming ND and Louisville both advance to the ACC championship game, the winner will get the #2 seed and go to Chicago?

Plebe

Reaction Score
I disagree. I believe they absolutely consider such things, as long as it falls within reasonable seeding guidelines. They want compelling matchups.
Well, you can believe it if you want, despite the fact that there is no evidence of this.

If that were the case, do you really think they couldn't have found a way to put Tennessee in UConn's bracket a single time in the past 10 years?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom