The solution is simple | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The solution is simple

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I love him.

A: The way he got Ollie the job was bush
B: He’s been acting like a 75 year old child
C: We have to do what is best for the program - not what gives Jim Calhoun the good feelz

A: it got us #4
B: Old men do that
C: No but he would literally die. Heart attack or what have you. #dontkillJC

On A

Reaction Score
You're not wrong, but the POYs he does get are the right ones. Taurasi, Moore, Stewart account for 9 unique NCAA championships. No accident they are three of the best players in the world and all in the conversation for best ever.

-Someone who's watched them plenty.

Geno did not always get the best players. He truly built the UConn program from the ground up. IMO Calhoun is probably the greatest men's program builder ever but, unquestionably, Geno is the greatest women's program builder ever.

Many of the best women players come to UConn because Geno makes them better and they win. Its a painful process and it is not for every recruit. Playing under Geno is an unrelenting trial but for women looking to win and to improve for the professional level there is no better coach on the planet.

One of the legitimate criticism of Coach Ollie in recent years has been the lack of player development. That does not ever happen with the UConn women...EVER!!!....they are very good when they get to Storrs but great when they leave. If Geno could do the same thing with men (unknown) he would have 5 * recruits knocking down his front door.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
JC deserves a big chunk of grief as well as never-ending thanks. His instructing former players to not contribute to the program was awful, for one.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Geno did not always get the best players. He truly built the UConn program from the ground up. IMO Calhoun is probably the greatest men's program builder ever but, unquestionably, Geno is the greatest women's program builder ever.

Nobody ever said he did. Nor did anyone claim he doesn't develop players. He might be the best at every single aspect of running a program in the women's game.

But the majority of his Championships were won by those three players. Those three would have won championships anywhere. Not as many, but they would have.

Of all the great players in the last 30 years, those guys would have been the top 3 players you'd want coming in, with nods to Candace Parker, Catchings, and Holdsclaw. It's like landing LeBron, Jordan, and Kareem and having them for 4 years.

And Geno should get full credit for identifying, landing, integrating, and developing those three studs. To do it repeatedly is very impressive.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
You're not wrong, but the POYs he does get are the right ones. Taurasi, Moore, Stewart account for 9 unique NCAA championships. No accident they are three of the best players in the world and all in the conversation for best ever.
[UOTE]

People who think what he does is easy, think he gets #1,2 and 4 annually.

But to your point, add in Dell's Donna who was also recruited by Geno. Quite a start for a HoF

Reaction Score
I want Geno to coach the team. I probably wouldn’t have said that even 3 months ago.

I’ve watched the last 8 or so URI games.... I like Hurley but I’d prefer Geno.

I think Auriemma is great where he is. He would never survive in men's hoop. His #1 ranked freshman barely plays because she drives him crazy in practice. He'd be in an asylum coaching some of today's men's players.

I do agree with you on Hurley. Not totally sold on him either.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
People who think what he does is easy, think he gets #1,2 and 4 annually.
But to your point, add in Dell's Donna who was also recruited by Geno. Quite a start for a HoF

Delle Donne likely would have resulted in one or two more.

I def don't think what he does is easy. And as I said above, "Geno should get full credit for identifying, landing, integrating, and developing those three studs. To do it repeatedly is very impressive."

There really isn't any aspect of running a program he isn't great at. Hard time finding people who are better than him at any single aspect.

Reaction Score
Nobody ever said he did. Nor did anyone claim he doesn't develop players. He might be the best at every single aspect of running a program in the women's game.

But the majority of his Championships were won by those three players. Those three would have won championships anywhere. Not as many, but they would have.
We are saying the same thing...I completely agree with you.

There is a reason Calipari or Coach K are getting the 5* one and dones now. It because those elite players think those coaches can best prepare and put them in the pros. Geno is no different in the women's game except the gap is even larger between he and his competition. Its amazing the entire USA women's national basketball team could be composed of only former UConn players (it was half way there last time olympics) and we'd probably win the gold medal every year.

Some players like Stewie or Maya Moore or Diana Taurarsi would have been great wherever they played. But its a little bit of the chicken or the egg argument..are they the greatest players in the world who happened to go to UConn or did playing under Geno at UConn help make them the greatest women's players in the world? IMO its the later...

The better question is could Geno coach and develop men the same way for the pros? If he could then every elite prospect in America would be signing with UConn. Again, that is a big "could"...

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Of all the great players in the last 30 years, those guys would have been the top 3 players you'd want coming in, with nods to Candace Parker, Catchings, and Holdsclaw. It's like landing LeBron, Jordan, and Kareem and having them for 4 years.

And Geno should get full credit for identifying, landing, integrating, and developing those three studs. To do it repeatedly is very impressive.

I think 90% of the guys on this board (and 99% of MBB overall) actually do think he gets 3 of the top-10 players.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think 90% of the guys on this board (and 99% of MBB overall) actually do think he gets 3 of the top-10 players.

That's probably true. I meant that as a rhetorical 'nobody', ie me.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I spoke to Geno 10 years ago about the men's game. I think a position or two would make him think twice, but he said he couldn't deal with players like Melo. A few classes to stay eligible & gone.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Geno can't survive in an environment where his good players leave early? Best coach walking the earth my butt.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Geno doesn't want the job. He is king of his domain and looking to pump out a few more titles before handing it up.

He is 64 this month. He'd have to want to spend at least 10 years in the MBB job. He doesn't.

At this point anything less than a FF/Title level program would tarnish his legacy and the WBB game itself. He wouldn't do that.

He has zero interest in the dirt and drama involved in men' recruiting and the AAU. He has said as much.

The only way he ever considers coaching the men is accidentally after he retires from the women's game as a stop gap and only after Calhoun declines. AKA, it's not happening.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think it’s foolish to think he wouldn’t be successful. Of course he wouldn’t replicate what he’s been able to do in the women’s game but if he accomplishes 20% of what he’s done there who wouldn’t sign for that?

Don’t worry about AD David Benedict. Parker Search Firm will take care of him after he funneled $75k of taxpayer dollars their way.
Sorry Jimmy, but losing the best coach in woman's basketball in the hope that he'd be successful resurrecting the men's program is what is foolish. There is a very significant risk that we'd end up with two struggling programs.

That said Geno wouldn't take it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Geno doesn't want the job. He is king of his domain and looking to pump out a few more titles before handing it up.

He is 64 this month. He'd have to want to spend at least 10 years in the MBB job. He doesn't.

At this point anything less than a FF/Title level program would tarnish his legacy and the WBB game itself. He wouldn't do that.

He has zero interest in the dirt and drama involved in men' recruiting and the AAU. He has said as much.

The only way he ever considers coaching the men is accidentally after he retires from the women's game as a stop gap and only after Calhoun declines. AKA, it's not happening.

How would it tarnish his legacy in WBB?

Anyone with a brain realizes he is the best coach in women's history and anyone with a brain also recognizes it's a lot easier to win in the women's game.

If anything he has a chance to add to his legacy by leading a rebuilt men's program to the NCAA Tourney.

Reaction Score
Sorry Jimmy, but losing the best coach in woman's basketball in the hope that he'd be successful resurrecting the men's program is what is foolish. There is a very significant risk that we'd end up with two struggling programs.

That said Geno wouldn't take it.

I’m willing to sacrifice the women’s program if it means the men have a chance of getting back to respectability. Women’s basketball means nothing in the grand scheme of things. We have a struggling men’s program and a struggling football. All that matters. Where has the women’s program gotten us? People watch those games where they’re up 43-5 at halftime? The sport is a complete joke because of what Geno has accomplished. But no let’s not give him the men’s job because we MIGHT be left with both programs struggling. Small minded at best CL.

Agree that he’s not gonna take it though so the point is moot.

Reaction Score
I can’t believe I’m saying this as a huge Calhoun fan, but I would be absolutely enthralled with seeing Geno coach the men’s team.
I can only watch a couple women games a year because they are over five minutes in usually, but when I see a full game I’m amazed at how good they are on both sides of the ball.
It’s not about having the best recruits - although that helps - it’s about his players buying into moving the ball around and moving without the ball and playing tenacious defense.
They fast break like an NBA team, only difference being they just can’t do dramatic dunks. But they will move the ball up the court in less than five seconds without the ball even touching the floor sometimes.
Bring that style of play to the men’s side and we will be hitting the sports center top 10 all the time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Mike Anthony on Twitter
More Geno on coaching men: "Would I do it? I could do it. Would I enjoy it? I would enjoy it. Do I want to do it? No."

Classic Geno. Brag brag brag and then back down from the challenge.

Oh well. At least his comments over the past few days end the arguments that he can be compared to coaches in the men’s game.

He admits it’s a different sport.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom