OT: The racist witch hunt in the nba | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: The racist witch hunt in the nba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's not a strawman, it's the logical conclusion from what you posted. So either you're deflecting or aren't the best at expressing your thoughts through writing.

Let's break it down, shall we:

What Cuban said is that if he sees a black person in a hoodie, he would walk to the other side of the street (implied that this would be out of fear of violence)

You don't see anything racist with saying that a black person in a hoodie is dangerous.

You're wary of people, who, unlike you, do not see "color" in a scenario of someone wearing a hoodie walking down the street.

So again, in conclusion, "seeing color" to you means that you err on the side of black people are violent and want to hurt you.

I have more respect for people who would just come out and say "Yeah, I'm kinda scared of black people"

Oh please. You are purposely cherry picking Cuban's comments to create a context that doesn't exist. What else did Cuban say about white guys with tattoos?

You see gang bangers walking down the street at 1 AM and you're not the least bit concerned. Congratulations. I would recommend a little more awareness about your surroundings.

Reaction Score
I think you and I have different definitions of "witch hunt". Sure, maybe one or two people have come out and slammed Cuban for his comments, but for the most part, I don't see anybody condemning him or using what he said as anything other than a lynch-pin for dialogue. ESPN is talking about it because it is important discussion, and, by making the comments in the first place (on record), Cuban was inviting that sort of thing. So I think it would be best to drop the notion that Cubn is somehow a victim here.

Secondly, his comments, in isolation, weren't overly offensive (at least not to me, I can't speak for the black community), but they were definitely problematic, especially in light of the Trayvon Martin tragedy. It seems to me that a lot of white people are trying to use fear as means of justifying their prejudices rather than confronting their bigotry head on. You're obviously not on the same level as South Tampa Bill with your racism (in fact, you're probably in the majority), so I think your post at least dignifies a response and discussion. But, with that being said, if all it takes to instill fear in you is a black kid walking down the street with a hood on, then I think it might be time to take a look in the mirror and ask yourself why that is (hint: the problem is with you, not "socioeconomics", or whatever crutch you're trying to use).

the headline of the initial Cuban article on ESPN read something like "Cuban admits to being a racist and bigot". That was a grabber that was a little harsh given the context, but I don't expect anything less from the world wide leader. Since that first headline ESPN has calmed down a lot and is presenting it in a more neutral way. The ESPN analysts are doing a good job.

I think Cuban made a huge mistake without giving context. Whether you personally agree or not there are certain situations that are more dangerous than others and there are trends that are undeniable. Certain ways of presenting yourself or acting in certain situations will result in people coming to conclusions and context matters a lot in this situation. For example, if a person is walking on a college campus with a backpack no matter how that person is presenting themselves they will come across as less threatening than if they are walking in a dangerous neighborhood. Take a person and have him take a nap on a park bench at 3 pm in the middle of the suburbs and then have that same person do that in a park in a city at 11 pm. People's assumptions about who that person is and why they are sleeping on a bench will change for many people. It doesn't matter what sex or race they are.

What Cuban is trying to say is that we will all make assumptions about people and come to conclusions whether they are warranted or not. People will stereotype and make assumptions about trends and past experiences. It's how human beings are hard wired to survive and thrive from an evolutionary stand point. Due to this what must happen is for trends to stop. For the vast majority of people when, where, and how you choose to present yourself will dictate peoples opinions and not things like race by itself.

Reaction Score
Yeah, you're pretty intimidating with your 5000 online forum posts.

nice to see you recovered from that mental breakdown you suffered after losing what amounted to an online fantasty basketball game. glad to see you're doing well, God bless.

Reaction Score
nice to see you recovered from that mental breakdown you suffered after losing what amounted to an online fantasty basketball game. glad to see you're doing well, God bless.

Think I got temp locked from posting, honestly have to thank whoever did that. I was on the verge of turning into an obsessed forum troll like you.

5k forum posts=obviously a badass.

Reaction Score
Think I got temp locked from posting, honestly have to thank whoever did that. I was on the verge of turning into an obsessed forum troll like you.

5k forum posts=obviously a badass.

Obsessed? Nah never that, I don't get too wrapped up in the internet to have a mental breakdown because someone didn't vote for my fantasy team. Don't get too caught up in your feelings, we don't want to see you undergo another episode, your health is more important.

Reaction Score
Obsessed? Nah never that, I don't get too wrapped up in the internet to have a mental breakdown because someone didn't vote for my fantasy team. Don't get too caught up in your feelings, we don't want to see you undergo another episode, your health is more important.

Sorry but you have way too many posts and take this forum way too seriously to argue that the yard isn't a huge part of your life. Any argument to the contrary or deflection is irrelevant, find a hobby champ.

Reaction Score
Sorry but you have way too many posts and take this forum way too seriously to argue that the yard isn't a huge part of your life. Any argument to the contrary or deflection is irrelevant, find a hobby champ.

you have 340 posts in less than 2 months, as long as your mental health holds up and/or you don't partake in any more fantasy sports that causes you to lose your mind on an internet forum, you will be joining the 5,000 post club in well under 3 years.

Reaction Score
you have 340 posts in less than 2 months, as long as your mental health holds up and/or you don't partake in any more fantasy sports that causes you to lose your mind on an internet forum, you will be joining the 5,000 post club in well under 3 years.

The thing is I have 300 posts in a concentrated period where you're even claiming I spent too much time on here when I'm really only on pace to match you if I continue to do this for 3 years.

So basically if I continue to be obsessed with the yard for 3 years I'll be you? Nice logic.

Reaction Score
The thing is I have 300 posts in a concentrated period where you're even claiming I spent too much time on here when I'm really only on pace to match you if I continue to do this for 3 years.

So basically if I continue to be obsessed with the yard for 3 years I'll be you? Nice logic.

I'm hoping you lose interest in this place fairly quickly. But that's just me.

Reaction Score
We just won a national championship a little over a month ago and now everyone hates each other here……..chill pill everyone!! :cool:

Reaction Score
It would be very remiss of me not to post in this legendary thread

Reaction Score
Honestly, I did think maybe there would be some interesting links to articles from ESPN or something talking about a racist witch hunt, or at least something giving both sides. Instead, this is what I got so far...

"Here's my opinion"
"You're a d*ck"
"Yeah? well you're a bigger d*ck"
"No, I HAVE a bigger d*ck"
"Oh yeah? Well why don't you get on your knees and suck my d*ck"
"Well my mom could beat up your mom if they were the same age and in 3rd grade"

I am now 10% dumber from reading this thread... :confused:

Nice work on the postgame recap, but you missed the part around half time.
"Grindr is a place for people who want d*ck, you should go."
"You're already there."
Otherwise, pretty solid play by play.

About that 10%... How long does this thread have to go on before you walk your dumbA into oncoming traffic?

Reaction Score
Espn is running a whole segment right now on cubans comments. None of which were remotely racist. This has to stop. We cant assassinate the character of everyone who says anything that in some minor way can be construed to be some how racist. We have an nfl owner whos received no punishment after taking a bunch of pills getting drunk and getting behind a wheel for christ sake. It cant be the worst thing in the world is a person who may generalize a certain race or ethnicity. Cuban is right if I see a group of young black males on one side of the street im probably going to walk on the other side, same thing with a group of white guys with tattoos. Due to socioeconomic reasons these tends to be the demographics of people who are more likely to committ a crime...is that racist? I think its just more or less playing the percentages...

I agree it is overblown, but his statement was prejudiced not racist. The fact the two concepts are often considered one in the same hurts any chance of real public discourse. One is a personal feeling/belief system. The other is a systemic tool used to oppress a person or people. The first is sad, but everyone has a right to their opinion. The latter is simply evil.

The issue with Cuban's street crossing analogy (which is often used in some form) is it reeks of pure ignorance. IMO, that's why it is mildly offensive to some (not me). It is ignorant because Cuban should know in America he is about 6 times more likely to be assaulted by a White Male than he is at the hands of a Black Male. There are several reasons for this, but in his scenario...if he crosses the street to avoid the Black Man with a hoodie only to cross to the side of the street where in theory a White Man with or without a hoodie is walking...the only thing he accomplished is raising the likely hood he will be assaulted. A man of Cuban's intelligence should know that. Avoiding the White guy with tats is a better decision based on facts, but I know a lot of cool ass White Dudes with tats who wouldn't harm a fly (unless the fly talked to them lol)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What I read of Cubans comments were exactly in tune with how I feel about profiling other people. I don't profile by race, but I absolutely profile people on appearance. I will make myself aware of another person I'm approaching on the street if they look desperate or violent regardless of race. I'm sure Cuban's said much much more that could be easily misconstrued as a bit racist, but just wanted to say that bit of his comments I fully agree with.

In my neighborhood most of the junkies that I like to avoid are not minorities, but it is absolutely okay to profile the people you see on the street

I'd go so far as to say that if you don't, you are horribly naive, and going to be taken advantage of or throughout your life, until you (hopefully) learn that lesson.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I took a sociology class in college and the professor said everyone is prejudiced. People naturally gravitate to people that are more like them. The danger is when people allow this to become racist by discriminating against others. Everyone needs to be conscious of this and check themselves when they find they are heading this way. I think this is what Mark Cuban was trying to say and he was dead-on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom