The Question which won’t go away | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Question which won’t go away

C

Chief00

Maybe if you post more threads about it, they’ll take action.

Or maybe you can meet Randy for some pizza and develop a strategy for filling the DC position.

Not a criticism but a personality type. I have found Jim Calhoun much more open to different thoughts than Randy. Randy thinks he knows the answers and will get results on his time table. The problem is he doesn’t always get to set the time table and sometimes there are better ideas out there.

Reaction Score
Crocker was successful at the FCS level because he had players that could compete at that level. Give the guy players that can compete on this level and see what happens.

C

Chief00

Crocker was successful at the FCS level because he had players that could compete at that level. Give the guy players that can compete on this level and see what happens.
With all due respect for the guys who play FCS. It’s really a different game. The speed and QB’s, especially in the top tier AAC teams, make it unfair to compare the two.

Reaction Score
With all due respect for the guys who play FCS. It’s really a different game. The speed and QB’s, especially in the top tier AAC teams, make it unfair to compare the two.

Wait, FBS has a different quality of athletes than FCS? What a hot take.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of when he walked out on the team.

No attack Pal, he walked out of a presser with the last question being asked having nothing to do with his team. That or even one on our schedule.
To compare this to his original walking out on the team and the school is simply a thought process you should think about to say the least. Head bang

I'm not upset. Just noting it. I forgive him but I won't forget. It's why I am skeptical when he lectures about accountability. I found his reaction to be completely in character.
Once again you thinking you can read my mind is bizarre.

If you can't forgive and forget, pick one. Find an experience in your own life to get over it. Anyone following the program knows there was a ton of dog poop going on behind the scenes between Randy and Hathaway at the time. Something I should say Randy has always taken the high road on and never expounded to the public on.
Really hope you can find a way to get over it, good luck and GO DOGS!!!

Reaction Score
Not a criticism but a personality type. I have found Jim Calhoun much more open to different thoughts than Randy. Randy thinks he knows the answers and will get results on his time table. The problem is he doesn’t always get to set the time table and sometimes there are better ideas out there.

I had no idea you know these guys so well and have a personal relatioship with them. They must be thrilled with your posting on these boards.

Reaction Score
No, this is an assumption that you keep repeating. It could easily be well taught and communicated but break down during game scenarios for a number of reasons. You are assuming the entire coaching staff can’t teach and that’s a dumb assumption.

No one disputes the heart or raw ingredients. What he doesn’t have is the experience and development that a Rs. Jr. or Senior would have.
SOMETIMES I wish you could like some comments twice....;)

C

Chief00

Edsall gets paid the big bucks to answer that question — he should have stood and delivered.

That said, I really don’t like how the question was asked. The journalist shouldn’t have approached it sideways via Wake Forest. He should have asked, straight on:

“The defense has really struggled. Do you still stand behind Betty Crocker?”

That would have put Edsall in a better position to give the answer you knew he was going to give, anyways.

An interviewee doesn’t get to choose how the questions are worded.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

I virtually walk out in every Chief post so just get his reaction. This is a Jimmy and Joes issue with defense n.

3,230 views and 107 replies later this thread has really been hurt by your walkout.

C

Chief00

Smh
Clearly you didn’t read my post.
They are getting coached- each and every day. There are guys on our coaching staff that have legit NFL experience either coaching or playing.
Young kids take a while to develop consistency.
But the reality is, football across all levels have players that blow assignments, fail to get low and miss tackles.
Receivers drop balls, miss blocks, etc.
it happens.
But when you’re as young as us, it happens more frequently.
It’s like blind leading the blind out there. We don’t have veteran leaders to mask some of these mistakes that tend to happen during a game.
Corner gets beat and safety comes over and makes an outstanding play- you’re talking about the safety and not as much about that corner on the play.
Lineman can’t get off a block but LB gap fits and blows a play up for no gain. You’re not talking about that lineman as much as the great run fit by the LB

You are generally talking about results above and not the detailed techniques that Chief is referring to. Perfectly, understandable mistake yet there’s a World of difference.

Reaction Score
You are generally talking about results above and not the detailed techniques that Chief is referring to. Perfectly, understandable mistake yet there’s a World of difference.
The results come from the techniques that aren’t being implemented on a consistent basis due to youth and inexperience.
How do you explain any of the good plays that these young men have made? Or does Chief believe no good plays have been made all year?
If so, was it luck?

C

Chief00

The results come from the techniques that aren’t being implemented on a consistent basis due to youth and inexperience.
How do you explain any of the good plays that these young men have made? Or does Chief believe no good plays have been made all year?
If so, was it luck?

My understanding is we are dead last in the country per key defensive metrics - what more do you need to know?
Yeah, we sprinkle in a few good plays but not nearly enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
An interviewee doesn’t get to choose how the questions are worded.

Chief. You know I love Chief, but this is a weird response.

I had two points. First, I didn’t like the approach to the question. Seems like you didn’t either, and that’s cool beans.

Second, Edsall makes a gob-ton of dollars and should stand and answer what he’s asked.

Of course he doesn’t get to choose how questions are worded. But he does get to choose how he responds, and Edsall made a poopy choice in his response here, IMHO.

Reaction Score
HCRE2.0 took a rather poor strategy to the questioned asked if his intent was to not encourage more questions about his DC.

As a coach who once or twice won a super bowl said "you are what your record says you are". In 2018 UConn is (in terms of defensive yardage given up per game) by far the worst team of the 129 teams in FBS.

I thought I'd look at this same category of total defensive yardage for years 2017 and 2016. I know all the stuff about youth, inexperience, etc. that makes each year different; but should they be that different. You can decide.

2018 UConn #129 at 664 ypg
Best #1 at 204 ypg
Middle #64 at 366 ypg
Worst UConn

2017 UConn #126 at 519 ypg
Best #1 at 260 ypg
Middle #64 at 390 ypg
Worst # 129 at 541 ypg

2016 UConn # 65 at 410 ypg
Best #1 at 262 ypg
Middle # 65 UConn
Worst #129 at 554 ypg

UConn went from middle of the pack defensive stats in 2106 to bottom in 2017 and the very bottom so far in 2018. Sure some was personnel and many other factors but really 2016 to 2017 was quite the drop, before we even get to 2018. RI gained 550 yards against UConn in 2018, against its 2 other non FBS opponents it averaged 360 yards per game (we're talking Delaware and Albany); put that in your thinking hat!

I'm actually expecting improvement through rest of the year for the defense, HCRE2.0 has tried the wrong strategy playing slower guys on the line and even in the RI game saying he was waiting for 3rd down to put his speed/rush package in. Earth to HCRE2.0, UConn's opponents hardly ever need a 3rd down before converting a 1st down!

Reaction Score
Lineman speed is vastly different too. They are both big and quick. At 1AA, the lineman are big but slower and less athletic. That’s why you need linebackers with some size, stength and quickness at 1A. The tween backer works at 1AA because you can advantage the speed difference. Not so much at big boy level.

Reaction Score
Earth to Edsall 2.0, UConn's opponents hardly ever need a 3rd down before converting a 1st down!
That’s actually not a bad measure of our improvement. We did better with that stat in Syracuse.

C

Chief00

HCRE2.0 took a rather poor strategy to the questioned asked if his intent was to not encourage more questions about his DC.

As a coach who once or twice won a super bowl said "you are what your record says you are". In 2018 UConn is (in terms of defensive yardage given up per game) by far the worst team of the 129 teams in FBS.

I thought I'd look at this same category of total defensive yardage for years 2017 and 2016. I know all the stuff about youth, inexperience, etc. that makes each year different; but should they be that different. You can decide.

2018 UConn #129 at 664 ypg
Best #1 at 204 ypg
Middle #64 at 366 ypg
Worst UConn

2017 UConn #126 at 519 ypg
Best #1 at 260 ypg
Middle #64 at 390 ypg
Worst # 129 at 541 ypg

2016 UConn # 65 at 410 ypg
Best #1 at 262 ypg
Middle # 65 UConn
Worst #129 at 554 ypg

UConn went from middle of the pack defensive stats in 2106 to bottom in 2017 and the very bottom so far in 2018. Sure some was personnel and many other factors but really 2016 to 2017 was quite the drop, before we even get to 2018. RI gained 550 yards against UConn in 2018, against its 2 other non FBS opponents it averaged 360 yards per game (we're talking Delaware and Albany); put that in your thinking hat!

I'm actually expecting improvement through rest of the year for the defense, HCRE2.0 has tried the wrong strategy playing slower guys on the line and even in the RI game saying he was waiting for 3rd down to put his speed/rush package in. Earth to HCRE2.0, UConn's opponents hardly ever need a 3rd down before converting a 1st down!

Good research, essentially supporting Chief’s eye test.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I think you should listen again - the Wake thing was context but the question was about Crocker and his worse rated defense in the country.

1) Cites context
2) Tells me to "listen again"

Reporter: “Wake Forest just fired their defensive coordinator. I’m just curious about your philosophy on that.

Edsall: “What does that have to do with us? I’m done. I can see where this is going. I’m not — I’m done.

Show me where he's asked about Crocker or the UConn defense in that question. Maybe you need to listen again, Chief

Reaction Score
My understanding is we are dead last in the country per key defensive metrics - what more do you need to know?
Yeah, we sprinkle in a few good plays but not nearly enough.
But on the good plays is our technique good or is it luck?
Because if the technique was good then who did they learn it from?

Reaction Score
But on the good plays is our technique good or is it luck?
Because if the technique was good then who did they learn it from?

Guys with bad form/technique make good plays. Taliek Brown had terrible shooting form and Ben Gordon great form. But Taliek didn't shoot 0% (ask Pittsburg) and Ben didn't shoot 100%. Bad technique players make good plays, just not as often as good technique players.

Reaction Score
No attack Pal, he walked out of a presser with the last question being asked having nothing to do with his team. That or even one on our schedule.
To compare this to his original walking out on the team and the school is simply a thought process you should think about to say the least. Head bang

If you can't forgive and forget, pick one. Find an experience in your own life to get over it. Anyone following the program knows there was a ton of dog poop going on behind the scenes between Randy and Hathaway at the time. Something I should say Randy has always taken the high road on and never expounded to the public on.
Really hope you can find a way to get over it, good luck and GO DOGS!!!

I have already said on this thread I forgive Randy. But I won't forget. I'm not upset. I wish him every success.

Look, we all know who Randy is. He has grown a little since he was last here but he is the same guy. He is the guy who refused to change the lousy punt protection even as the blocks piled up year after year. When he finally, changed it, punts stopped being blocked. But his stubbornness cost us games over the years because he had dug in his heels.

He is the guy that would thank the coaches first after every win. And blame execution (players) after every loss. During his first stint, he didn't understand or care about the media, he thought it was a nuisance and never learned how to use it for his benefit. And we know he set one standard for his players and another for himself.

On the field, he is cautious. He comes from the bend but don't break, keep everything in front of you, play not to lose mold. He often uses the offense to protect his defense.

Randy has some very good traits. He genuinely cares about the kids and helping them succeed off the field and grow as men. His own reputation is spotless, he handles himself with class. He is a good man.

His ability to look at high school kids and project their development is terrific. At a place like UConn that is necessity. He then develops players, makes them better.

His teams play hard (if not always well). He has proven he can win here. He is a good coach.

The good news is that he knows he made a mistake. He has owned up to walking out of the press conference. I don't think the old Randy would have. Like I said, he has grown. But he flashed the old Randy in the press conference. I wasn't surprised. And I was reminded.

Reaction Score
Guys with bad form/technique make good plays. Taliek Brown had terrible shooting form and Ben Gordon great form. But Taliek didn't shoot 0% (ask Pittsburg) and Ben didn't shoot 100%. Bad technique players make good plays, just not as often as good technique players.
I agree with you here on this point.

But disagree with the overall point made by Chief. I believe these players are being taught proper technique but the inexperience and lack of strength at the moment are contributing to inconsistent play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom