The Question which won’t go away | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Question which won’t go away

Reaction Score
No one is going anywhere. They just sat a RJr and a grad student in favor of even more freshmen to build for next year and the year after. Don't know what kind of recruiter he is, but Crocker appears to be a good teacher. Just let the year play out. Two more W's coming by the end of the season. Probably just not on this Saturday. Tulsa and some other school not named Cincinnati, USF, or UMass.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I don’t see how the below is a post of an “idiot”. Is it unreasonable for a Freshman Defensive Lineman, who has seen significant playing time, by the 4th game of the season to go low for leverage at the goal line? What I saw was Travis Jones standing up and being turned around? I am not taking about perfecting technique, more a general direction. Quite frankly, it does make me worry but I did say the youth argument was “reasonable” but Chief’s was personally skeptical based on things like that.

Chief’s Post:
“Personally, my gut tells me it’s more than just youth. For reasons, discussed in various previous threads, I am skeptical on Crocker. But, it’s a reasonable argument and there will be improvement - the question is how much?
My concern is not only guys being in the wrong place or being too slow or weak. It’s an absence of good coached technique.”
It takes awhile to sink in that your not the biggest or strongest guy on the field as you were in HS. Bigness overcomes bad technique in HS. Crocker came from a successful d. Good chance he taught technique that made it successful.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
A Randy created controversy. Answer however you want and don't storm off like a school girl and it's not news today.
Probably right.

C

Chief00

So what you’re saying is the D Line coach taught him to stand up and get turned around in that situation? Or is it more plausible that he has been taught just like every other position player but because they’re inexperienced they haven’t developed the proper habits to do it right most of the time.
Is why most freshmen in college football make all of these mistakes off the field during their red shirt year IN PRACTICE.
Unfortunately we’re getting to see these mistakes live.
Remember, redshirt freshmen have the benefit of two summer camps, two fall camps, one spring camp and an entire season of scout work before they even hit the field.
Our true freshmen have only one summer and one fall
I’m shocked you can’t see that

LOL hopefully not teaching him to be upright at goalline - but the DL position coach as part of the DC coaching team - SHOULD have taugh him to get low and get penetration. This is not an isolated play - this has been what Chief’s trained eye has observed.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
LOL hopefully not teaching him to be upright at goalline - but the DL position coach as part of the DC coaching team - SHOULD have taugh him to get low and get penetration. This is not an isolated play - this has been what Chief’s trained eye has observed.
The assumption that the entire defensive staff doesn’t know how to teach basic technique is patently dumb.

Reaction Score
Serious question- What am I missing? Fuller addressed the question to the Head Coach - not an assistant or player.
Also he doesn't have the ability to fire you. Just to ask the question, which he did. You're the one that walked away .

C

Chief00

I wonder what gave it away that it is a big business? It couldn't be the 7 figure head coaching salaries?

Everyone knows we are young. Everyone also see we are like in record setting pace for worst defense ever. I can't imagine how hard it is to cover the team and try to find positives every week.

The $1.8M potential game with TN is yet another sign it’s “big business”.
Last year we played a $1M game to either pay Edsall or payoff Diaco - however you want to look at it.
Why is my good friend Randy shocked by this?

C

Chief00

The assumption that the entire defensive staff doesn’t know how to teach basic technique is patently dumb.
What I am saying is in this case it obviously has not been effectively taugh and communicated - based on Chief’s eye test. Teaching something and checking off a box is not enough -the teaching has to be done in an effective way. Does not need to be perfect and it takes awhile to perfect technique. But no attempt to even try to use it is a problem and it’s not because the kid is an issue - trust Chief on that. Jones is coachable and wants to do well. He’s also got the strength and talent.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Hell, even PP knew how to coach basic techniques. It's likely that even Diaco could. That doesn't mean that the players instinctively play that way 4 games in.

I'd say the question is premature. We've played 3 explosive offenses and one good FCS offense. We play a team of very, very young guys. We've coughed up the ball too often as well. Our system, new last year, was tweaked this year and so is still new. If we look the same in the second half of the season, something may need to be done after the season.

I want to see us hold Cincinnati under 40. Not sure we can, but I would consider that real progress.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
What I am saying is in this case it obviously has not been effectively taugh and communicated
No, this is an assumption that you keep repeating. It could easily be well taught and communicated but break down during game scenarios for a number of reasons. You are assuming the entire coaching staff can’t teach and that’s a dumb assumption.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Jones is coachable and wants to do well. He’s also got the strength and talent.
No one disputes the heart or raw ingredients. What he doesn’t have is the experience and development that a Rs. Jr. or Senior would have.

Reaction Score
Smh
Clearly you didn’t read my post.
They are getting coached- each and every day. There are guys on our coaching staff that have legit NFL experience either coaching or playing.
Young kids take a while to develop consistency.
But the reality is, football across all levels have players that blow assignments, fail to get low and miss tackles.
Receivers drop balls, miss blocks, etc.
it happens.
But when you’re as young as us, it happens more frequently.
It’s like blind leading the blind out there. We don’t have veteran leaders to mask some of these mistakes that tend to happen during a game.
Corner gets beat and safety comes over and makes an outstanding play- you’re talking about the safety and not as much about that corner on the play.
Lineman can’t get off a block but LB gap fits and blows a play up for no gain. You’re not talking about that lineman as much as the great run fit by the LB

C

Chief00

No, this is an assumption that you keep repeating. It could easily be well taught and communicated but break down during game scenarios for a number of reasons. You are assuming the entire coaching staff can’t teach and that’s a dumb assumption.

It’s not one or a few breakdowns - news flash - we have the absolute worse defense in the country. And it’s pretty much a two year trend.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Serious question- What am I missing? Fuller addressed the question to the Head Coach - not an assistant or player.

Fuller asked about Wake's ex-assistant. Either ask the question about the UConn D, or Crocker, or don't ask it. Mamby-pambying around the question gave Edsall an out, and he took it. Good for him

Reaction Score

In listening to the audio I don’t believe he was referring to the actual “act of asking a question” - my sense after listening to it a few times (I was on the road) and then reading the quotes after, he was saying that the buck stops w/ him and he has the right players and staff in place. Question his competency - not his coaches or players. It’s all on him.

Reaction Score
Ah just what we all need, Paul Finebaum chiming in after the entire ESPN brigade went after the program over Ryan Dickens while every other college program does the same thing

Reaction Score
Ah just what we all need, Paul Finebaum chiming in after the entire ESPN brigade went after the program over Ryan Dickens while every other college program does the same thing

God I hate agreeing with Finebaum.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How would HCRE handle it if he actually was faced with real heat? "Fire my ***", really? That's embarrassing.

C

Chief00

In listening to the audio I don’t believe he was referring to the actual “act of asking a question” - my sense after listening to it a few times (I was on the road) and then reading the quotes after, he was saying that the buck stops w/ him and he has the right players and staff in place. Question his competency - not his coaches or players. It’s all on him.

That’s fair enough and that’s the standard he should be held to anyways. Again, I am not advocating anyone be fired in mid season; but count me as a Crocker skeptic. Hopefully I am either wrong or Randy will basically make the point moot by effectively coordinating the defense.

C

Chief00

Listen again - If that interpretation was true - why did he walk out on the question and the questioner?
To me not a big deal but if Randy thinks this has taken the heat off Crocker, of course it’s done just the opposite.
The statistics which few nationally care about are being put out there in a comical way - which mocks him worse.

C

Chief00

Fuller asked about Wake's ex-assistant. Either ask the question about the UConn D, or Crocker, or don't ask it. Mamby-pambying around the question gave Edsall an out, and he took it. Good for him
I think you should listen again - the Wake thing was context but the question was about Crocker and his worse rated defense in the country.

Reaction Score
Listen again - If that interpretation was true - why did he walk out on the question and the questioner?
To me not a big deal but if Randy thinks this has taken the heat off Crocker, of course it’s done just the opposite.
The statistics which few nationally care about are being put out there in a comical way - which mocks him worse.

The audio I’m talking about is from the day after comments this morning - not yesterdays.

C

Chief00

Good question, which Chief will gladly entertain.
The answer is you need to practice under stress situations. At the practices I have been to - I have seen Randy do that fairly frequently.
Maybe it’s just the way I perceived it - but it seems to be more on offense but granted the defense is on the other side. Rather than 2 minute drills or red zone stuff that the offense tries to simulate perhaps the defense should do mid game stuff between the 20’s rather than crisis situational. That way they could focus on basic technique rather than other stuff. Just a thought.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom