The Question which won’t go away | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Question which won’t go away

Reaction Score
Tad surprised he tee’d off on Fuller - would have thought he would have a bit more latitude. He’s not known to be a “gotcha” type media guy.
I was gonna make this point as well. Its Jim Fuller for crying out loud.

I guess he will take any publicity at this point.

Reaction Score
Totally legit question based on last year’s and this season’s performance thus far. We’re not talking below average ... we’re talking about the worst by a large measure. Given taxpayers are subsidizing a public university, you’d think he’d be smart enough to at least try and paint lipstick on a pig.

Reaction Score
Remaining upset about that makes you look very childish.
I'm not upset. Just noting it. I forgive him but I won't forget. It's why I am skeptical when he lectures about accountability. I found his reaction to be completely in character.

Once again you thinking you can read my mind is bizarre.

Reaction Score
It was a boarderline hack question from a guy who isn't a hack writer. The question in a vacuum wasn't horrible, but it the two or three questions that would have followed would have been.

Plus, the premise was dumb. University X made personnel move Y with employee Z. What the hell does to that have to do with me? And why even go down that road? Like Edsall is going to say " Yeah, I heard they fired him. I am now inspired to fire my D-Coordinator as well! Glad I can announce that here and now. Thanks Jim!"

C

Chief00

How does this have 19.6k views in a span of a few hours? Did someone big time pick this clip up?

The power of Chief.
Let me give my friend Randy some public media advice. If he stood there and answered it in a boring way, it would not be getting 19k hits. By walking out on it - that makes it news.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There was a good question to be asked and perhaps Fuller intended on asking a good question....but prefacing the question with the statement about Wake firing their defensive coordinator blows it up.

No matter what comes after that, the implied question is, “Will you consider firing Crocker?”

There’s no other way it can go. I read the blog post and it’s fine, but you’re not getting into any of that when you roll into it with the Wake firing. If he really wanted to ask about position coaching changes, ask about positional coaching changes without the preamble.

As for Randy, you’re 23 minutes into a presser. I am shocked that anyone managed to have a press conference about UConn football that lasted 23 minutes, so it had to be near its natural end. If someone asks a stupid question or asks a question stupidly, just say “nope” and then wrap it up.

Nope never makes Sportscenter.

Reaction Score
What would improve this entire mess is "better players". Right now UConn is trotting out a mediocre FCS team to play against FBS teams. UConn does not have many players who were coveted by P5 schools or even other AAC programs.

Remember HCRE wasn't a great recruiter the first time at UConn when he had a Big East platform to pitch to potential signee's. Now he doesn't even have that to work to his advantage.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
After looking at recent photos of HCRE, the question I'd like to ask is: "You're 60 years old. You have virtually no wrinkles. What skin product(s) are you using?"

Maybe none. Men tend to develop facial wrinkles far less than women of the same age due to shaving, which exfoliates the skin. You typically have to look at a man's eyes to accurately judge age, since they don't shave there and the wrinkles develop sooner.

Reaction Score
Maybe none. Men tend to develop facial wrinkles far less than women of the same age due to shaving, which exfoliates the skin. You typically have to look at a man's eyes to accurately judge age, since they don't shave there and the wrinkles develop sooner.
Well that explains my face and the crepe paper under my eyes. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Again, I'm an Edsall supporter and fan, but he has to realize this defense is bad by epic proportions - by historical proportions. Yes, it's extraordinarily young and hopefully it will greatly improve over time, but for somebody to ask about Crocker's future employment prospects is entirely fair. Edsall could simply have said he is not considering coaching changes. Petulant behavior is not a good way to show leadership.

On a side note, I think Edsall and Crocker are trying to remake a defensive framework in dramatic fashion. They are looking to put an ultra fast and probably small defense together to address the offenses we now see in college football and especially the AAC. I think the way they have gone about it is extraordinarily risky, but we'll see.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Nah. Even HCRE's forehead is still shiny new. He doesn't shave there.

Some male celebs turned/turning 60 this year:

Alec Baldwin
Gary Oldman
Kevin Bacon
Viggo Mortensen
Ice-T
Tim Robbins
Bruce Campbell

Other than maybe Ice-T, HCRE looks 10 years or more younger than all of them.

Might be genes though. But it's hardly common.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The power of Chief.
Let me give my friend Randy some public media advice. If he stood there and answered it in a boring way, it would not be getting 19k hits. By walking out on it - that makes it news.

Can you help us understand what the ‘power of chief’ means here?

Also that’s some galaxy brain advice.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Uconn’s own game notes undermines the youth excuse by detailing how several other programs are similarly young...but aren’t having nearly the some level of performance issues.

Reaction Score
Uconn’s own game notes undermines the youth excuse by detailing how several other programs are similarly young...but aren’t having nearly the some level of performance issues.

I guess it would depend on where the youngsters are playing (Special Teams versus starting on Defense/Offense) - no?

>>YOUTH OF A NATION - The UConn Huskies have relied on a youth movement to eat up the majority of the playing time in 2018. The Huskies have played 34 underclassmen (Freshmen, Redshirt Freshmen and Sophomores) this season which ranks 12th in the nation.

The list of school through four weeks is below:
Georgia 55
Colorado 48
Coastal Carolina 42
Clemson 41
Auburn 40
USC 39
Minnesota 39
Oregon 38
Indiana 37
Duke 36
Wake Forest 35
UConn 34<<

Have to believe the new redshirt rules effextvsome if these numbers.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I guess it would depend on where the youngsters are playing (Special Teams versus starting on Defense/Offense) - no?

>>YOUTH OF A NATION - The UConn Huskies have relied on a youth movement to eat up the majority of the playing time in 2018. The Huskies have played 34 underclassmen (Freshmen, Redshirt Freshmen and Sophomores) this season which ranks 12th in the nation.

The list of school through four weeks is below:
Georgia 55
Colorado 48
Coastal Carolina 42
Clemson 41
Auburn 40
USC 39
Minnesota 39
Oregon 38
Indiana 37
Duke 36
Wake Forest 35
UConn 34<<

Thanks for dropping this in. Yes, probably no one is playing four true freshman DL and yes, most of these programs are playing these kids on specials, but that might not be true for all of these. I haven't had the time to look deeper.

I think Crocker stays for year three with a couple position coaches turning over this winter. I don't think Edsall wants the coaching turmoil to continue.

Reaction Score
Personally, my gut tells me it’s more than just youth. For reasons, discussed in various previous threads, I am skeptical on Crocker. But, it’s a reasonable argument and there will be improvement - the question is how much?
My concern is not only guys being in the wrong place or being too slow or weak. It’s an absence of good coached technique. The angles of the DB and not knowing where the ball is. The DL’s don’t get low enough and don’t fire off the ball.
I could go on but there appears to be a mix audience, based on feedback, regarding the desire to take a deep dive on technique. To Chief you start every play using technique and often end a play with technique. So if your technique is bad - it definitely impacts results.

Why do you expect players who are in their first year of being coached by college coaches to have the "coached technique" of players who have had three to five years of being coached by college coaches? Is every other college coach so bad that they don't impart material value on technique after they have had a player for a few months?

It would be great if you'd stop sounding like an idiot on this. Crocker may or may not be back for season 3, but the decision will be made based on whether Edsall feels he's doing a good enough job -- not just because you are frustrated that we don't have enough experienced defensive talent on the roster.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Far more telling about Crocker's status is that he and Randy aren't entirely on the same page about scheme. Crocker prefers 3 down linemen. Randy went to 4 to get more speed from the edge. Randy talks about that change a lot emphasizing how it was needed to get more QB pressure. Crocker has talked about the inability to run his scheme which was successful. There's tension there, though it hard to say how much.

Reaction Score
If Fuller had it to do all over again he’d probably reword the question. Same with Randy. I virtually walk out in every Chief post so just get his reaction. This is a Jimmy and Joes issue with defense n.

Reaction Score
Exactly. This is about degrees of bad; not ordinary bad. The youth, the new system, etc. all are valid to a point. Being the worst by orders of deviation from even the bottom 1/8th of FBS over an extended period is a real issue. Hell, if we had the 110th worst defense, we would be substantially better... even almost competitive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom