The problem with court storming | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The problem with court storming

temery

What?
Reaction Score
she is looking right at her up and through contact.She's looking right at her up and through contact.
View attachment 95517
View attachment 95518
note who ran into whom. The fluffy fan didn't run into Clark, Clark ran into the fluffy fan. Note that Clark's arms are folded in front of her like she is making a block while the fluffy fan is running by her

Ah ... no. They ran into each other. And again, only one had any right being on the court.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Interesting to check back into what's kept this thread going, and it looks like two earlier comments have been disappeared. One is the obligatory, "Shouldn't this move to Women's board?," to which I'd say, "No, this is why NOT to me it. This is how MBB board discussed WBB matters."

At this point we've got some mixed sympathies, some blame-the-victim, slo-mo video analysis, gifs, free-wheeling absurdities, and more that would be out of place on the other board.

The other omitted comment was solid dad joke wordplay that would ruffle feathers as much as roll eyes. It couldn't even survive here, but I'll still give my local compadre @uconnblueinky the shout out.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
She’s looking the wrong way until less than second before they collide.
Agreed
Showing her looking at the fan a split second before impact
She did
and suggesting she could have stopped on a dime makes no sense to me, as a matter of either physics or common sense.
I don't get that she could have stopped on a dime, but I also don't get that as being the suggestion
I’d dumbfounded that people think that the best player in college basketball intentionally risked injury—even assuming she had time to plan it in the 0.5 seconds from the moment the fan entered her line of sight.
I think she did something quite different from what you've written directly above.

I think she reflexively brought her arms up to her chest to first absorb and then repel the impact, and I also see that her disengagement from such a plausible action by an alert & physically-gifted athlete had some dimension of calculation that has occasioned those less sympathetic to her (for any one of several reasons) to regard it as a push-off with a flop added on.

Reasonable people could differ on their feelings or opinion of the mechanics or the choreography.

To my eyes, the OSU fan also had a startled reaction and an instant physical response; she was already pivoting her body before the actual impact. Her fall was less controlled and less graceful, as I'd expect.

Maybe she'll come to see it as her Sally Simpson experience.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I find all of this completely unpersuasive and not responsive to the points I made. She’s looking the wrong way until less than second before they collide. Showing her looking at the fan a split second before impact and suggesting she could have stopped on a dime makes no sense to me, as a matter of either physics or common sense. I’d dumbfounded that people think that the best player in college basketball intentionally risked injury—even assuming she had time to plan it in the 0.5 seconds from the moment the fan entered her line of sight.

I find it bizarre that anyone wants to see this as anything but an unfortunate accident. Two people ran into each other. That’s what the video shows. That’s what happened.
I found it bizarre did the issue is so important to you. It's fine that it does, but just seems kind of quirky to me, but whatever.

You seem to think she was driving at high speeds when a deer lift out in front of her. She was slowly jogging. She never shows that she startled and, and this is really the undeniable part of it, she basically slips the contact effortlessly, which you insert is impossible, and then shoves the kid. Then after the contact, she snaps her head back like she's trying to draw a foul. There's no way to count for all those things other than the fact that she decided to shove this kid. There's no way to count for all those things other than the fact that she decided to shove this kid.

#occamsrazor

I'm not condemning her for it. I don't really care. I just don't see the point in denying what is so plainly there in each of these videos, whether it's full speed, half speed, or frame grabs. But if you want to, that's fine with me.

CL82

Reaction Score
Ah ... no. They ran into each other. And again, only one had any right being on the court.
Nope fluffy fan is going by her. Clark ran into her.

1705985190092.jpeg

Agree that kids have no "right" to storm the court after a big win. Personality, I think they should all be shoved to the ground. ( Oh wait, no I don't actually.)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don't pay attention too much, but that seems a bit conspiracy theory-ish. I know she is good and in the news quite a bit in Women's basketball circles, but is she that much of an attention...seeker?
Why else does a person shore 45 points in a game?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I found it bizarre did the issue is so important to you. It's fine that it does, but just seems kind of quirky to me, but whatever.

You seem to think she was driving at high speeds when a deer lift out in front of her. She was slowly jogging. She never shows that she startled and, and this is really the undeniable part of it, she basically slips the contact effortlessly, which you insert is impossible, and then shoves the kid. Then after the contact, she snaps her head back like she's trying to draw a foul. There's no way to count for all those things other than the fact that she decided to shove this kid. There's no way to count for all those things other than the fact that she decided to shove this kid.

#occamsrazor

I'm not condemning her for it. I don't really care. I just don't see the point in denying what is so plainly there in each of these videos, whether it's full speed, half speed, or frame grabs. But if you want to, that's fine with me.

I’m the one who finds this important?

You’re projecting onto Clark your assumptions of what a normal person would do in this situation if moving at 1/100th speed.

The deer did jump out. You can see she doesn’t see the fan until the last moment. Then she shows how startled she is by extending her arms and spinning to minimize the contact. Of course you see that not as her being startled but as evidence of her nefarious intent.

You’ve seen it explained that she put her arms out as a reflexive defense mechanism at the last moment but you just don’t want to accept it. I do it all the time on the sidewalk when I’m about to make contact with someone who’s not looking. There’s no intent to “push” but if they make contact with me that’s what would it look like to someone who wanted to impugn me for no apparent reason.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Posts in this thread:

CL82 = 16
nomar = 6

I was wondering who I had blocked to make this thread unreadable. My bet was on huskywarrior, but cl82 makes sense too.

CL82

Reaction Score
she put her arms out as a reflexive defense mechanism at the last moment but you just don’t want to accept it. I do it all the time on the sidewalk when I’m about to make contact with someone who’s not looking.
You walk into people all the time on the sidewalk? I guess that would explain why you're defending with Clark blindsiding the fluffy fan.

Speaking of "blindsiding" I found it kind of funny that Clark claimed the "blindsided" her when she's facing the kid before enduring contact in the poor kid gets hit from the side and knocked over.

Look, the video is what it is. Clark hit the kid not the other way around. If you want to be revisionist and say that didn't happen, it's fine, but the video tells a different story.

CL82

Reaction Score
I was wondering who I had blocked to make this thread unreadable. My bet was on huskywarrior, but cl82 makes sense too.

Lol, I haven't blocked you...
1706014620673.png

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
I’m the one who finds this important?

You’re projecting onto Clark your assumptions of what a normal person would do in this situation if moving at 1/100th speed.

The deer did jump out. You can see she doesn’t see the fan until the last moment. Then she shows how startled she is by extending her arms and spinning to minimize the contact. Of course you see that not as her being startled but as evidence of her nefarious intent.

You’ve seen it explained that she put her arms out as a reflexive defense mechanism at the last moment but you just don’t want to accept it. I do it all the time on the sidewalk when I’m about to make contact with someone who’s not looking. There’s no intent to “push” but if they make contact with me that’s what would it look like to someone who wanted to impugn me for no apparent reason.
Lmaoooo! This is sour grapes and that’s all it is. Yeah the fan shouldn’t be there, but court storming is part of college basketball. Pissed she lost and she easily could of avoided the contact but plays the victim instead. Smh

Reaction Score
Lmaoooo! This is sour grapes and that’s all it is. Yeah the fan shouldn’t be there, but court storming is part of college basketball. Pissed she lost and she easily could of avoided the contact but plays the victim instead. Smh

I haven't seen her playing the victim anywhere. Has she even made a statement on it at all? Fans are doing that for her.

She fell on the ground a little dramatically, oh well. I probably would have too. Move along.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You walk into people all the time on the sidewalk? I guess that would explain why you're defending with Clark blindsiding the fluffy fan.

Speaking of "blindsiding" I found it kind of funny that Clark claimed the "blindsided" her when she's facing the kid before enduring contact in the poor kid gets hit from the side and knocked over.

Look, the video is what it is. Clark hit the kid not the other way around. If you want to be revisionist and say that didn't happen, it's fine, but the video tells a different story.
Yes Clark hit the fan shortly after turning her head in the direction of that fan. The implication that contact was unavoidable is where I disagree with you. It is difficult to make judgements on split second reactions.

If you slow down the film when KK Arnold dove for the ball in the Seton Hall game hitting Paige in the temple causing a whiplash you would get the same impression she could have avoided that incident. You cannot account for momentum in a slow motion portrayal of an incident.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes Clark hit the fan shortly after turning her head in the direction of that fan. The implication that contact was unavoidable is where I disagree with you. It is difficult to make judgements on split second reactions.

If you slow down the film when KK Arnold dove for the ball in the Seton Hall game hitting Paige in the temple causing a whiplash you would get the same impression she could have avoided that incident. You cannot account for momentum in a slow motion portrayal of an incident.
Actually, Clark pretty much does avoid contact she stops spins to the side the fluffy kid and then shoves her. So it must've been at least somewhat avoidable because Clark avoided it. What I think confuses people is that after the Clark takes a step, does her best Kemba impression with a head snap and throwing her arms in the air spins and falls.

For what it's worth, I have no issue with Clark shoving the fluffy fan out of the way, But I do think that it's kind of crappy of her to then do oppressor claiming she was blindsided by the fluffy kid when she was the one who ran into the fluffy kit not vice versa.

It kind of reminds me of the whole Clark "you can't see me " controversy with Angel Reese where Clark started the whole hand gesture thing but then went all holier than thou in pressers afterwards. She's a bit of a jerk, but then again so is Cam, and I love that guy

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I live and work in New York City. No, that doesn't happen every day but, yes, frequently, people walk around looking at their phones and not at their surroundings and on occasion I am forced to move out of the way or extend my arms so they don't crash into my body.

Defenders can get to the spot first and they don't always get the charge call. You're the one who brought up the deer scenario -- you can be completely blameless even though you "hit the deer not the other way around." I'm not blaming the fan. I'm just saying they collided, because they did. I have no axe to grind here. I'm not a WCBB fan, much less an Iowa or Clark fan.

CL82

Reaction Score
I live and work in New York City. No, that doesn't happen every day but, yes, frequently, people walk around looking at their phones and not at their surroundings and on occasion I am forced to move out of the way or extend my arms so they don't crash into my body.

Defenders can get to the spot first and they don't always get the charge call. You're the one who brought up the deer scenario -- you can be completely blameless even though you "hit the deer not the other way around." I'm not blaming the fan. I'm just saying they collided, because they did. I have no axe to grind here. I'm not a WCBB fan, much less an Iowa or Clark fan.
You lift your arms up in the city when people bump into you? You must do that an awful lot! ;) NYC protocol is look straight ahead, arms down and power through the contact.

Otherwise, though, we're in agreement. Nobody, least of all me, thinks that Clark was stalking this kid and if she didn't get her on the court she would've gotten her outside her dorm or something, but the notion that this kid plowed into Clark just isn't reality. As Warner Wolf would say, "let's roll the videotape!" Personally, I think it's kind of BS that she said the kid "blindsided her" in the press conference, but that's Clark. I agree that it doesn't matter one way or the other to us as Connecticut fans.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Big time flop. I'm team @CL82 .
Clark is undeniably a great player with ridiculous range, but she's a ball hog in my view. She's no different than Kelly Leak playing center field for Chico's Bail Bonds.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
You lift your arms up in the city when people bump into you? You must do that an awful lot! ;) NYC protocol is look straight ahead, arms down and power through the contact.
And always tip your Times Square dirty costumed characters…

temery

What?
Reaction Score

'that doesn't really make sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom