OT: - The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2 | Page 18 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Dana Lyn is a Brooklyn violinist/fiddler who plays everything from classical to Irish traditional. My favorite album of hers is kindasorta progressive rockish. Here’s a nice cut from it:

Reaction Score
That’s really cool, Scud. I hadn’t heard of them. Nice to discover them almost 50 years late.

Thanks BB - the 70's were certainly a great time for creative and beautiful music. I was fortunate to have KTCL out of Fort Collins, Colorado in those days to delight my ears.

Another from that time - one off of Jerry Garcia's first solo album:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay, the song itself is really famous, definitely qualifies as old. It's known as a hit by The Youngbloods, I was shocked to find out it was recorded before them by such well known artists as The Kingston Trio, David Crosby and Jefferson Airplane. This cover version is by a band I think qualifies as obscure, although I'm not sure why. They can sing, a trio of nice looking ladies from California (not that that should matter...but it does in entertainment). Anyway, a very appropriate song for now, just like it was in the 60s.

Reaction Score
Now here's a guy thats getting up there age wise - mandolinist David Grisman, he of fame for working with Jerry Garcia, the Dead, Old and in the Way, and his own band. This is a pretty delightful and obscure tune - "Ricochet"

Reaction Score
Speaking of "Old and in the Way" - had to go searching for one of my favorite songs by them entitled "Land of the Navajo". This very recording was included on their 1975 self titled debut album:

Reaction Score
Just heard this one today. Another one of the sixties girl singers that had was a brief flash in the pan. My mom used to torture my sister (in a good way) by singing this song. My sister had a boy named Bobby calling her at the time. She would have been in the eight grade or so at the time.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Hookfoot, early 70's, definitely obscure, great guitar work on this one entitled "Movies"

Nice stuff. I can hear Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young in the guitars playing off each other. Thanks for posting, @Scud49

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
So much good music, so little time. Thelonius Monk was an enigma -- SOO many people find his music noisy, disjointed, etc. They often cite his famous quote, "There are no wrong notes" to say he just played random notes and called it music. But I actually find his music not at all challenging, and in the last couple of years have grown to find it absolutely beautiful. It's simple yet complex, and very tuneful, but every so often he puts in one of those not-wrong notes that just wakes you up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Souther-Hillman-Furay Band - these guys came together in the mid 70's for a couple albums - the debut one was quite good. They all came from or had connections to Buffalo Springfield, Flying Burrito Brothers, Eagles, etc so their musical roots were pretty strong.

"Border Town" is one song of theirs I always liked:

Reaction Score
Don't know how to post video, but on an album with Roundabout, Long Distance Runaround, and Heart of the Sunrise, South Side of the Sky often gets overlooked by fans and the band. Yes didn't play it very often in concert. Listen to the remastered version and you'll get blown away sonically. Maybe the most underrated song by Yes ever. Also, for those who think Yes is too finesse.

Reaction Score
Rikie Lee Jones - IMO she should have been a huge star, but she's probably still in the obscure category.

"Lucky Guy" is one beautiful song - soft, bluesy, and jazzy:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Rikie Lee Jones - IMO she should have been a huge star, but she's probably still in the obscure category.

"Lucky Guy" is one beautiful song - soft, bluesy, and jazzy:

RLJ is a fine talent. I enjoyed Chuck E's In Love. I think she lost many years to an addiction. She could have been much more successful, of perhaps she couldn't in retrospect. :(

Reaction Score
Not sure this one has been posted. When was last time you rode on a train ?
A great song, Arlo Guthrie - City of New Orleans.

Very good tune by Arlo for sure. My last train was the Durango - Silverton run, probably around 1978- so its been awhile..!

That Arlo song Kaizen reminded me of this absolutely great song by Randy Newman:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
RLJ is a fine talent. I enjoyed Chuck E's In Love. I think she lost many years to an addiction. She could have been much more successful, of perhaps she couldn't in retrospect. :(
FWIW, a guy a work saw her in concert a few years back and said she was great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom