OT: - The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2 | Page 13 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
For good reason, it's horrible. But it has a Trivia Question attached: Who wrote it?
I believe Chuck Barris, who did so many terrible things to our psyche, penned this masterpiece. When he wasn't busy with the CIA.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Here is a song from 1956 that was often the sign off tune for night time DJs. It was one of the most popular closing songs at local dances and guys would try to line up their favorite girl for the "last dance". The incredibly smooth voice of Jesse Belvin made it special. It is rumored that 12 year old Barry White played piano for this recording, but I can't verify that. Maybe @donalddoowop can help sort it. Local Mon Valley DJ "The Fabulous Terry Lee" always played it each night as he signed off. It was ,as T L said, "music for young lovers" . :cool:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Here is a song from 1956 that was often the sign off tune for night time DJs. It was one of the most popular closing songs at local dances and guys would try to line up their favorite girl for the "last dance". The incredibly smooth voice of Jesse Belvin made it special. It is rumored that 12 year old Barry White played piano for this recording, but I can't verify that. Maybe @donalddoowop can help sort it. Local Mon Valley DJ "The Fabulous Terry Lee" always played it each night as he signed off. It was ,as T L said, "music for young lovers" . :cool:

I was talking to the guys in my group about him recently. In watching a show about Sam Cooke, it was mentioned that Jesse's supposed fatal accident was not an accident. He was warned not to perform at a show in Memphis but performed anyway. Thirty minutes after he left he was informed in the car crash. I read something about a young Barry White playing on a recording by a well known entertainer but I don't remember who it was.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Bama fan I saw where Barry White is credited with playing for Belvin on Goodnight My Love when White was eleven. However, in an interview with the Boston Herald in 1995, he said he did not arrange or write the song but did not comment on whether or not he played piano on the song. Belvin was a very smooth singer whose career was much too short.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I was talking to the guys in my group about him recently. In watching a show about Sam Cooke, it was mentioned that Jesse's supposed fatal accident was not an accident. He was warned not to perform at a show in Memphis but performed anyway. Thirty minutes after he left he was informed in the car crash. I read something about a young Barry White playing on a recording by a well known entertainer but I don't remember who it was.
That car crash occurred in 1960 after a Little Rock ,Ar show that also featured Jackie Wilson. Hope, Ar. , birthplace of Bill Clinton, is listed as the site of the crash. There have been rumors of a cover up over the years, but no definitive conclusions. Fortunately Hilary was not yet in Arkansas at the time, or she would be a prime suspect. ;)

Reaction Score
In between the Airplane and Starship days, Paul Kanter, Grace Slick and friends put out "Sunfighter"- it's gotta fall into the obscure category now. The song "Holding Together" is a real strong cut from it - jangling guitars and beautiful piano:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Thanks @Scud49 , that just reminded me of another side project that I think is fairly obscure. John Fogerty put out an album under the name The Blue Ridge Rangers. The album cover has 5 silhouettes so it looks like a band, but I think it was just him. It's pretty much all country and bluegrass standards.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One of the best, coolest and upbeat videos of the early-MTV era and somewhat forgotten. Even has a little basketball.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay, I honestly think that's the first Cajun music I've seen in any of the music threads here in BY. Nicely done. I kinda got into Cajun for a while. The vocals are...an acquired taste. I love the fiddle/accordion combo.

edit--okay @Scud49 I'll see your Beausoleil and raise you Le Trio Cadien. I think these guys were fairly established individually in their scene and then did a collaboration together. Some gorgeous fiddlin.' I think I have a CD of theirs laying around somewhere.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good stuff nwhoopfan...! Continuing with that southern touch, this one by Taj Mahal never ceases to delight me - and its off one of his obscure early albums. The steel drums and back up singers are a special delight:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is the Taj Mahal track that really gets to me, which I find surprising since it's an instrumental. I remember catching him live in Bushnell Park and asking my buddy if he though Taj would play it. He said, "I doubt it." Five seconds later it starts up, good times!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Fado is a type of Portuguese folk music. In the south it's sung by a woman, in the north by a man; the accompaniment is almost always a Portuguese guitarra and a Spanish guitar. The best singers are almost actresses, and they put so much emotion into the music that they're always drained after a set.

Here's an artist I just love who cut her teeth on real Fado, but is branching out now. I put this on the other day and my wife put it on repeat two or three times:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Fado is a type of Portuguese folk music. In the south it's sung by a woman, in the north by a man; the accompaniment is almost always a Portuguese guitarra and a Spanish guitar. The best singers are almost actresses, and they put so much emotion into the music that they're always drained after a set.

Here's an artist I just love who cut her teeth on real Fado, but is branching out now. I put this on the other day and my wife put it on repeat two or three times:

Now we know where the expression "That's what I like about the South" originated! ;)

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Okay, I honestly think that's the first Cajun music I've seen in any of the music threads here in BY. Nicely done. I kinda got into Cajun for a while. The vocals are...an acquired taste. I love the fiddle/accordion combo.

edit--okay @Scud49 I'll see your Beausoleil and raise you Le Trio Cadien. I think these guys were fairly established individually in their scene and then did a collaboration together. Some gorgeous fiddlin.' I think I have a CD of theirs laying around somewhere.

When my youngest daughter was 12, around 2002, she played on an AAU team that was invited to the Nationals that was held in Lafayette, La. The team and us parents took a ride to Breaux Bridge, La to eat at a locally well known Cajun joint. While there, a fine Cajun band played many standards, and an older couple held the audience in thrall as they danced around and around for at least an hour. They were so good, knew each other's every move, and proved to be the best part of the trip. Mary Chapin Carpenter's "Down at The Twist and Shout' was popular then, and that old man twirled his bride around like a pro when they played it. It was a truly memorable experience, and even the 12 year old kids were impressed. While we did not win a championship, it was a trip we will always cherish.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom