OT: - The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2

Reaction Score
I think we had some fun with the original thread during last off season, so how bout a round 2?

I'll kick it off with this one - from Neil Young's first album, the haunting "The Old Laughing Lady", I don't think I ever heard it on the radio:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm not quite sure what qualifies, but I'll take a stab. I've heard plenty of songs by Emmylou Harris, certainly not all of them. This one popped up on a Pandora station recently, couldn't believe I hadn't heard it before, it's a gem.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Wish I could find the original video for this, the first band one of the best, 'It' girls ever sang backup for.

Wow, I didn't know she was in a band that early. I'm listening to the full album now. It's very characteristic of the time.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Mars Bonfire played guitar with Sparrow, the precursor to Steppenwolf. He wrote Born to be Wild and a couple of other songs Steppenwolf recorded, including this one. This is another album you can immediately identify as late 60's.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Wish I could find the original video for this, the first band one of the best, 'It' girls ever sang backup for.

I think this was from a band named Wind in The Willows. The guy who produced this album, Artie Kornfeld, produced the Woodstock Music Festival the following year. This is their only album to have been released. I am sure having a young Debbie Harry contribute was its crowning glory!

Reaction Score
There is this one from Spanky and Our Gang. The lyrics were quite controversial for the time.

At the age of eight growing up in a small town, I didn't quite get the message of the song, but very appropriate for the political atmosphere of 1968. Still remember mom and dad talking about it when it played on the radio.

Reaction Score
I'm not quite sure what qualifies, but I'll take a stab.

NW - I think what I generally had in mind is:

1. Old - something that is just very dated to way back when
2. Obscure - something that was never in the mainstream, but you like it.
3. Forgotten- some tune that had its day in the sun, but is now truly forgotten.

Hope that helps. :)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was just reminded of Totie Fields in another thread. She was a huge comedian from Hartford back in the 60's but died young. She worked Weaver High into her act:

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Wow this song is way before Debby became super star Blondie. She still have the same voice and style.

I didn't know she was adopted as an infant and raised in Hawthorne, New Jersey. Her "The Tide Is High", and "Rapture" are both #1 songs in US and UK, the latter of which is considered the first rap song to chart at number one in the United States.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
There is this one from Spanky and Our Gang. The lyrics were quite controversial for the time.

At the age of eight growing up in a small town, I didn't quite get the message of the song, but very appropriate for the political atmosphere of 1968. Still remember mom and dad talking about it when it played on the radio.

Always liked that song. I think Spanky was quite talented. I loved their version of the Music Man hit River City.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Being part of the soundtrack of Easy Rider surely guarantees that this gem will never be forgotten. Great song, great movie, great cinematography. The Byrds were something special!

Reaction Score
And here is one that I remember hearing a lot as a kid but if it weren't for youtube it would be completely forgotten. I don't think the group had any other hits that I am aware of.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom