OT: - The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2 | Page 14 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2

Reaction Score
Great story Bama Fan - loved it. :D

And Ozi, another fine Freddie "Boom Boom" Cannon contribution. :D:D:D

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I played this for my wife. I hope she listens intently!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Good reggae from the 70's - "A Message to You Rudy".

Can't believe it's over 40 years since I first heard these guys:

I was thinking, this song is older than that, then I remembered I'd seen the Specials a couple of years after this came out. But I had an album of old ska and rocksteady that I listened to a lot, and the original from 1967 was on that. It's a great song; I love both version.

Reaction Score
Connie Dover is a midwestern singer of American and British Isles folk. This one was written by a Welsh songwright named Huw Williams. It's so beautiful and tragic, it often brings tears to my eyes.

Thanks Bigboote for posting this and introducing us to Connie Dover. The song and video were particularly timely and poignant for my wife and me as we recently finished reading The Splendid and the Vile which is the story of Winston Churchill during the blitz. It is by Erik Larsen who also wrote The Devil in the White City. Both are excellent books.

Reaction Score
I was thinking, this song is older than that, then I remembered I'd seen the Specials a couple of years after this came out. But I had an album of old ska and rocksteady that I listened to a lot, and the original from 1967 was on that. It's a great song; I love both version.

Thanks Bigboote - didn't know that...and I agree...!

Reaction Score
I woke up this morning with this song in my head. I haven't heard it 35+ years and its not in my iTunes library. The lyrics "lost and forgotten" were swirling and thats what I searched for. Ah, the beauty of the internet and YouTube.

So I indeed found this "lost and forgotten" gem from Traffic:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Jackson Browne of course is a well known musician. Glancing at his discography, it's looks like he was much bigger in the 70s and early 80s than later in his career. He has an album that came out in 1993, I'm Alive, that had several great songs on it, I don't think they ever got much recognition. So he's clearly not obscure, but some of his songs are probably close to forgotten (if they were ever known to begin with). Some of his songs are nearly 50 years old, but even this one is close to 30. Hard to pick which one to use, there are 3 really standout tracks on the album IMO.

Oh what the heck, I'll tag the other two on here too.

Jackson Browne / My Problem Is You
Jackson Browne - Everywhere I Go

Reaction Score
David Lindley and El Rayo X- pretty obscure, but for my money had a gem with this song "Tiki Torches at Twilight" aka "Lets all get normal at the Luau" - an ode to the office party:

Reaction Score
Jackson Browne of course is a well known musician. Glancing at his discography, it's looks like he was much bigger in the 70s and early 80s than later in his career. He has an album that came out in 1993, I'm Alive, that had several great songs on it, I don't think they ever got much recognition. So he's clearly not obscure, but some of his songs are probably close to forgotten (if they were ever known to begin with). Some of his songs are nearly 50 years old, but even this one is close to 30. Hard to pick which one to use, there are 3 really standout tracks on the album IMO.

Oh what the heck, I'll tag the other two on here too.

Jackson Browne / My Problem Is You
Jackson Browne - Everywhere I Go

Kind of amazing some of the gems you can find out there eh NW...?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Thanks Bigboote for posting this and introducing us to Connie Dover. .

If you liked that, you might like Kate Price. She’s become somewhat new agey, bur cut her teeth playing hammered dulcimer and hummel (a Swedish precursor of the Appalachian dulcimer) in Santa Barbara, doing traditional and modern folk music. She has quite a dulcet voice.

This song was written by Chris Caswell and Danny Carnahan, but sounds like it could’ve been written a couple hundred years ago. It’s such a cool story.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
wasn't there, never heard it until much later, but if I did, im sure id like them as much as I do today. wiki sez first song, first studio album. kinda cool how it, in just the first few bars, sounds spot on as definitionally ian and the gang.

Reaction Score
Here’s one by the Beach Boys. It is old (released late 1967) and somewhat obscure.
At least it is rarely heard on the oldies stations. Probably forgotten by most but not by me because these lyrics were very meaningful for me back then.

Mama I'm tellin' you as sure as I'm standing here
She's my girl and that's the way I'm keeping it now mama dear
No good will it do you to stand there and frown at me
The girl's got my heart and my love's coming down on me
My love's coming down since I got a taste of wild honey

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
If you liked that, you might like Kate Price. She’s become somewhat new agey, bur cut her teeth playing hammered dulcimer and hummel (a Swedish precursor of the Appalachian dulcimer) in Santa Barbara, doing traditional and modern folk music. She has quite a dulcet voice.

This song was written by Chris Caswell and Danny Carnahan, but sounds like it could’ve been written a couple hundred years ago. It’s such a cool story.

"dulcet" is a great word. Always liked the sweet stuff. I knew a girl long ago and we nicknamed her Dulcey after Dulcinea del Toboso of Cervantes fame.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom