OT: - The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2 | Page 16 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
And here’s one from Ralph McDonald. He was a percussionist, and very tight with Grover Washington and Bill Withers; they all played on each other’s albums. Sadly, all three are no longer with us.

Reaction Score
And here’s one from Ralph McDonald. He was a percussionist, and very tight with Grover Washington and Bill Withers; they all played on each other’s albums. Sadly, all three are no longer with us.

Ah, Grover Washington Jr - he played on this wonderful and obscure instrumental by Idris Muhammad - "Loran's Dance"

Reaction Score
One great tune from the hippie days of the early 70's - Toni Browne and Terri Garthwaite - they were the nucleus of the band "The Joy of Cooking":

Reaction Score
And here is a twist on the classic American "rags to riches" story from another roots rocker. You can hear the roots of punk rock in this one.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Ah, Grover Washington Jr - he played on this wonderful and obscure instrumental by Idris Muhammad - "Loran's Dance"
I first heard of Idris Muhammad when he played on a Pharaoh Sanders album. It wasn’t this one, but this is my favorite cut from Pharaoh.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Another not very well known folk singer from the Northeast (edit--I think; wiki has almost no info on her).

I looked her up on wiki. The first thing I thought was, “I should see if my nephew knows her, he has been a farmer in the Northeast Kingdom.” (He’s a generation younger, so not likely.)

I reread your post, and maybe can clarify your paranthetical remark a bit. Northeast Kingdom, the title of one of her albums, is the northeast part of Vermont. It appears she’s from Northampton, which is in Massachusetts and the home of Smith College.

Reaction Score
This one is certainly getting a bit old (early 70"s) and because of its length,11 minutes, airplay is pretty non existent (maybe Sirius Deep Tracks) so, unfortunately, it's also getting more obscure with each passing day.

I'm guessing a number of you- Bama Fan, Bigboote, Kaizan, nwhoopfan, etc are familiar with it- but, if you have never heard it, I suggest you spend the next quarter hour or so listening to the brilliance of Van the Man:

Reaction Score
Scud, this is sort of a generational rite of passage. I remember sitting in my Grandmother's kitchen listening to her and her generation talking about what they did during the "Dust Bowl", the CCC camps, and even the 1st WW. I had no clue about Rudy Valee and they had no clue about Fats, Elvis, or The Hilltoppers. Funny story, I was driving our Grandson to his Little League game years ago and I had a CD with the old Abbott & Costello routine "Who's On First." It was the first time he had ever heard it and he said it was the funniest thing he had ever heard. The moral of the story - The cream of the crop always stays on top.
A couple of things.
1. Start your day off with a smile and listen to it one more time.
(IMO, This is the definitive version. It's from the TV show)
2. My youngest son, 21yo, has a vinyl collection of classic rock and has taken a college course on "The history of Rock n Roll".
When I talk to him about RnR, it's as if I was caught in some kind of strange, but wonderful, time warp.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He left us way too soon
A different time, a different place.

Here's another fellow who left us way too early - Tim Buckley, age 28, heroin overdose, and sadly pretty forgotten about now:

Reaction Score
Jorma Kaukonen, he of Jefferson Airplane fame, put out a couple solo albums in the early 70's. They are pretty obscure now, and one of them had this incredibly beautiful acoustic guitar song "Genesis".

"Time has come for us to pause And think of livin' as it was Into the future we must cross, must cross I'd like to go with you....."

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
An old Alan Sherman spoof song:

Reaction Score
Now here's one that probably touches on all 3 categories - it got a decent amount of airplay in the summer of '68 as I recall, then it just disappeared:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom