OT: - The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2

Reaction Score
A West Virginia based progressive rock band from the mid 70's and into the 1980's, Crack the Sky was very big around Baltimore and the mid Atlantic region (they still play and have a devoted fan base among people my age in Baltimore). They never quite made it on the national scene even though they were well regarded by music critics of the time. Here is one of their more popular songs that you don't hear anymore.

Reaction Score
There is another Baltimore based band from the late 70's early 80's that had some success but didn't quite make it on the national scene. The Rayvns will always have a bit of exposure because of the use of their hit "Raised on the Radio" in the "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" sound track, but they had other recordings that I found to be even better that no one ever heard of.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
A West Virginia based progressive rock band from the mid 70's and into the 1980's, Crack the Sky was very big around Baltimore and the mid Atlantic region (they still play and have a devoted fan base among people my age in Baltimore). They never quite made it on the national scene even though they were well regarded by music critics of the time. Here is one of their more popular songs that you don't hear anymore.

Absolutely the first time I have seen West Virginia, and progressive in the same sentence. ;)

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
How about Broadway.
Three songs from the Broadway play "The Sound of Music."
We grew up listening to Broadway Soundtracks. This was my favorite song on the album. It didn't make it into the movie. Max and the Baroness are trying to convince the Captain that he can tolerate the Nazis. It really was an important part of the plot, as it shows the Baroness and the Captain to be fundamentally incompatible.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
And this was my favorite song from the original cast.
It also didn't make it into the movie.
I do enjoy that most stage productions keep these two songs.

Reaction Score
The old Stanley Warner theater was on Fifth Ave. Not far from the Flagg Brothers shoe store made famous by Billy Joel in "Keepin' the Faith". I think there was a jeweler/optician named Buhl's next to the theater.
Yes. I think he made a huge contribution and they named the Planetarium after him.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
And there is this song that I remember hearing on the radio, but not for many years. Didn't realize at the time is was a subtle anti-apartheid song...

This relatively obscure group of South Africans got a big shout out in the movie "This Is Spinal Tap". They were mentioned as being the house band at the Ramada Inn in Kansas City. Just one more crazy thing in an insane movie!

Reaction Score
Instrumentals - so common back in the 50's and 60's, probably an endangered species today, maybe extinct.

This is one I remember as real young kid:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I like the idea of including bands that had a nice regional following but didn't hit it big nationwide. I saw these guys a bunch of times right after I finished college and moved to the big city. From Vancouver, BC and played in Seattle all the time. Really energetic shows. They're still active I think, but I haven't seen them in years. They've completely changed their lineup, the lead singer is the only left from the band as I knew. They're all here in this video. I can tell you I had a pretty big crush on the fiddle player. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Not old but definitely obscure. True story of a bar fight in Lorena, Texas. If the music sounds familiar Billy Joe wrote several songs for Waylon Jennings. Co written by Willie Nelson.
And you thought the song was about Kim Mulkey. Lol

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oh, geez, NW, you made me think of another hot fiddler. I saw these folks a couple of times at the Maryland RennFest. They broke up years ago, but I still listen to them.

I approve. I'm thinking that's the theme music from "Last of the Mohicans," yes?

Reaction Score
Oh, geez, NW, you made me think of another hot fiddler. I saw these folks a couple of times at the Maryland RennFest. They broke up years ago, but I still listen to them.

There is always good music at the Maryland RennFest!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I approve. I'm thinking that's the theme music from "Last of the Mohicans," yes?

I dunno, but they did do the occasional bit from a movie. They did some traditional music, and the bouzouki player wrote quite a bit, too.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There is always good music at the Maryland RennFest!
It's always so damn hot, though. I went pretty much every year for some time, partly to visit with a flute maker who had a booth. Then he stopped going, our kid was less into elephant rides, and we were all tolerating the heat less well. Still good music, though.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Long time ago, I encountered the Really Eclectic String Quartet - a group of folks who said, "what can't WE play that!" RESQ's Echoes of Harlem

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I'm also a HUGE fan of the singer-songwriter-guitarist Patty Larkin. Never achieved the visibility of Suzanne Vega, Nanci Griffith, Sean Colvin et al... but I always thought her a better artist across the board.... Her live A Gogo album is a fabulous intro to her music. Was hunting down her great cover of "Don't Do It" (you can hear a sample of it here (steel guitar) A Gogo: Live on Tour - Patty Larkin | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic)

But this song has a beautiful, haunting quality.

Reaction Score
Kingfish - kinda obscure, definitely old, they date back to the mid 70's, but I think they are still active. The Dead's Bob Weir was a prominent member. They did some good stuff, one of which is the very feel good toe-tapping "Hypnotize":

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom