OT: - The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I like the idea of including bands that had a nice regional following but didn't hit it big nationwide. I saw these guys a bunch of times right after I finished college and moved to the big city. From Vancouver, BC and played in Seattle all the time. Really energetic shows. They're still active I think, but I haven't seen them in years. They've completely changed their lineup, the lead singer is the only left from the band as I knew. They're all here in this video. I can tell you I had a pretty big crush on the fiddle player. :rolleyes:

I very much enjoyed this video. You must have been quite taken with the fiddle playing lass. Seems to me that you have mentioned your infatuation in a previous thread. And I certainly do not fault you for she is a joy to hear and a pleasure to see. BTW, I admit to enjoying the accordion solo too!

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Not old but definitely obscure. True story of a bar fight in Lorena, Texas. If the music sounds familiar Billy Joe wrote several songs for Waylon Jennings. Co written by Willie Nelson.
And you thought the song was about Kim Mulkey. Lol

I believe there is a very long list of whackos from Waco. Kim surely ranks, but not at the top. :rolleyes:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
It's always so damn hot, though. I went pretty much every year for some time, partly to visit with a flute maker who had a booth. Then he stopped going, our kid was less into elephant rides, and we were all tolerating the heat less well. Still good music, though.
I cannot imagine being disinclined to ride an elephant. Are you sure your wife did not catch you with the fiddler? Or at least dreaming of her? ;)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
"Stormy Weather" by The Five Sharps. @donalddoowop will explain.
It is a very, very rare Doo Wop version of the song. Released in 1952, the song was so bad and sales so low, group members had to buy their own copies. They got paid with hot dogs and soda. It is one of the most collectable songs and no one seems to know where to find a copy. The master was destroyed in a fire. When I heard it I did not like it.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I very much enjoyed this video. You must have been quite taken with the fiddle playing lass. Seems to me that you have mentioned your infatuation in a previous thread. And I certainly do not fault you for she is a joy to hear and a pleasure to see. BTW, I admit to enjoying the accordion solo too!

Yes, the accordion solo is nice as well. She was a multi instrumentalist, I can't even remember what all she played. That's Shannon Saunders. The fiddle player is Shona Le Mottee. One of the things I remember about her is that she always had a very peaceful, contented look on her face while she was playing.

Wikipedia has THIRTY past and present members listed for the band! What the heck? :eek: They have more players leaving than Maryland does. :rolleyes:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
It is a very, very rare Doo Wop version of the song. Released in 1952, the song was so bad and sales so low, group members had to buy their own copies. They got paid with hot dogs and soda. It is one of the most collectable songs and no one seems to know where to find a copy. The master was destroyed in a fire. When I heard it I did not like it.
So did you set the fire? ;)

Reaction Score
Since I started the obscure "progressive" rock theme portion of this thread, here is another obscure progressive rock band from Champagne Illinois that had a brief period of success and a fairly well received album in 1976. Starcastle's biggest problem was that they were perceived as Yes clones.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
If you go to YouTube, there's a video of someone trying to sell a cracked copy of the record--it's a 78--on a TV show called "Pawn Stars." If motivated, someone with the computer skills I lack (yeah, you, Bama), should be able to post the video. Of course, if you want to actually hear the song--Donalddoowop's respected critique notwithstanding--it's available, too.

Reaction Score
Wendy Waldman - she did a few solo albums in the 70's with some absolutely great songs, she just never hit the main stream. This is one of them - Spring Is Here:

Reaction Score
If you need an uber relaxing, stress free break form the virus and quarantining, I have just the ticket for you - Gabor Szabo's gem "Ferris Wheel" from 1968:

Reaction Score
A 1960 folk song, very old, not obscure. Say a traveller who is far from home, out of money and too ashamed to return home. I like Bobby Bare version very sad and touching.

From YouTube comment: I was a 19 year old soldier stationed in Korea when I first heard this song on the radio. Boy what memories that brings back to an old man. I would sing along listening to a little transistor radio when on guard duty.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A singer most people forget or never heard of, Hedy West. She is the original singer of 500 miles. She plays great banjo and other instruments.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Alt country had a moment in the 90s. Has mostly faded to a genre niche since then. Ryan Adams got some critical acclaim for some solo projects, but I thought some of his songs w/ Whiskeytown were brilliant. Don't really hear about them anymore.

Reaction Score
New Riders of the Purple Sage - starting to fade away into obscurity now, but they sure did some great stuff back in the early 70's.

Last edited:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Anyone still listen to Joan Baze's songs in 2020?
Will You Go Lassie Go - Joan Baez (edinburgh 1965)

I listen to her for sure. Fine talent and all around cool icon.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
A singer most people forget or never heard of, Hedy West. She is the original singer of 500 miles. She plays great banjo and other instruments.

She wrote the song and Peter,Paul,and Mary made it and themselves famous when they recorded it in 1962.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom