OT: - The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
In honor of Walpurgisnacht, here's another from Procol. I'd been listening to this for years before I found out that Walpurgis was a real person.

This is a live version I just discovered. I love seeing how bands create their music, especially when they knock it out of the park, as they do here.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
They had a lyricist! Keith Reed IMO was one of the best lyricists of the rock era, although I can't think of that many at the moment.
He was rather unique in that he was not a performing member of the group. I believe he was a poet by avocation. I recall him being a fan of Bob Dylan. Of course most songwriters were. I read an article about Reid in a Jewish cultural magazine a few years ago. BTW, I love the story about the group taking their name from that of a friend's cat.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
In honor of Walpurgisnacht, here's another from Procol. I'd been listening to this for years before I found out that Walpurgis was a real person.

This is a live version I just discovered. I love seeing how bands create their music, especially when they knock it out of the park, as they do here.

I watched a Swedish language series yesterday that featured a story that revolved around Walpurgisnacht. So I googled it and read that it is a celebration of spring named after Saint Walpurga , an eighth century abbess from Francia. Something new every day!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Folk occupies a fairly small niche these days, but even given that I think this group is virtually unknown. It's a shame, they have a really nice sound.

Reaction Score
Danny Kirwin's "Sands of Time" - heard it on on Sirius Sat radio's "Deep Tracks" this morning. The album it's from, "Future Games", is 50 years old next year, so it's old. I'd say pretty obscure too, but is one fine piece of music:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It might be old, maybe a little forgotten, but not obscure. Like this version done by Sara Bareilles.

This a quote from Sir Elton himself: "I was so blown away by the version of Yellow Brick Road. I've never heard anyone sing one of my songs like that ever. I can't thank you enough, giving your time and blowing my mind with that version. Because when someone sings your songs they usually copy you and she made it her own. That's brilliant--it's a hard song."

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here's something reasonably new and obscure. These guys are a Singaporean post-rock band. This is the first thing of theirs I heard, and I was captivated. I own everything they've recorded now.

Reaction Score
Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom